Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[pre 15 April 2016]Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club - Membership and earn/burn FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
What is the difference between Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club?

The Marco Polo Club is Cathay Pacific’s official loyalty programme. Asia Miles is an unaffiliated travel reward programme comprising of a variety of airline and hotel partners, as well as credit and charge card companies, car rental agencies, telecommunications companies and other non-air partners. Members of The Marco Polo Club are automatically enrolled as Asia Miles members. The Marco Polo Club gives you benefits for being loyal (eg lounge access, extra baggage), and Asia Miles is where you earn and burn miles and free flights.

What mileage will I earn for a particular flight and fare class?

Please refer to the Asia Miles website for the earning rates on Cathay Pacific and other Airline Partners.

Airline Partner Earning details

What are good credit cards to earn Asia Miles in HK?

See this thread: Best Credit Card Conversion Rates for Asia Miles (HK)

Does The Marco Polo Club status match?
MPC generally does not status match to another carrier's elite FFP just because you want one. You may write to the Club with details of your past flying pattern, and they will consider status matches on a case-by-case basis.

For more information , please read this thread: CX Status Match

I am moving to HK - should I consider changing to Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club?

Please see this thread for questions on moving to HK and your choice of loyalty program: Moving to HK master thread

What is the difference between Club Miles and Club Sectors?
Eligible earning fares will earn both Club Miles and Club Sectors. Club Miles is the number of miles flown on the particular flight (plus a 110%, 125%, or 150% surcharge if travel was in Premium Economy, Business or First Class respectively). Club Sectors are earned per sector flown on an eligible Cathay Pacific or oneworld flight. Passengers earn 1 Club Sector for every Economy Class sector, 1.1 for every Premium Economy sector, 1.25 for every Business Class sector and 1.5 for every First Class sector flown.

Tier qualification may be achieved by either Club Miles or Club Sectors but not both.

If you are flying an airline partner that is not a member of oneworld (eg Jet Airways), you will only earn Asia Miles and you will not earn Club Miles.

I do not have elite Marco Polo status but I will be flying over 120,000 miles in the next year. Does this mean I can leapfrog straight from no status to Diamond status?
No. The Marco Polo Club applies a stepped tier programme starting from Silver tier. This means that once you exceed the 30,000 miles (or 20 Club Sector) threshold, you are automatically granted Silver tier membership. At this time your mileage balance is reset to zero to reflect the fact that you are commencing a new membership year at Silver tier.

You then have another 12 months from the date of earning Silver tier to fly a further 60,000 miles to earn Gold, at which time you will again be reset to zero and your membership year reset to allow a further 12 months in which to earn Diamond tier. This means that you need to fly 30,000 + 60,000 +120,000 = 210,000 miles to jump straight from no status to Diamond tier (or the equivalent in Club sectors).
Note that your membership year runs from the day you attain a new tier until the end of that month plus 12 months. For example, if you earn Silver tier on 6 April 2009, your membership year will run from 6 April 2009 through to 30 April 2010.

Should you fail to advance to a higher tier, your membership year will be reset on the last day of the month in which you earned your current tier. Thus in the example above, if in the following membership year you earn 45,000 miles, you will be reset to zero at silver on 30 April 2011.

Huh? I still don't understand how qualification works.
cxfan1960 has kindly provided the following "flowchart for dummies":

(1) Join MPC - Start membership year -> go to (2)

(2) Green
* Minimum 30,000 Club Miles or 20 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for Silver. Reset membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Renew Green at end of membership year for another membership year.

(3) Silver (oneworld Ruby)
* Minimum 60,000 Club Miles or 40 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for gold. Reset membership year -> go to (4), else;
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Silver at end of membership year for another membership year, else;
* Back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

(4) Gold (oneworld Sapphire)
* Minimum 120,000 Club Miles or 80 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for Diamond. Reset membership year -> go to (5), else;
* Between 60,000 and 120,000 Club Miles, or between 40 and 80 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Gold at end of membership year for another membership year, else;
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles, or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Silver at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Less than 30,000 Club Miles, or less than 20 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

(5) Diamond (oneworld Emerald)
* Minimum 120,000 Club Miles or 80 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Diamond at end of membership year for another membership year;
* Between 60,000 and 120,000 Club Miles, or between 40 and 80 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Gold at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (4),
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles, or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Silver at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Less than 30,000 Club Miles, or less than 20 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

I am not going to earn enough miles to requalify at my current tier. Does Cathay do soft landings or will I be sent straight to the tier at which I have enough miles to qualify for?

There is no official soft landing policy. It is possible if you are a Diamond, to go straight back to Green if you fly less than 30,000 miles in a year. Sometimes soft landings are reported, but it is on a case-by-case basis.

I am going to be just shy of requalifying at a certain tier. Will Cathay let me have that tier anyway?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you are a couple of thousand miles short of retaining your current tier before your membership year expires, you will be requalified at that tier on expiry date. There doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule regarding how much of a shortfall is allowed.

Alternatively, writing in to the Club to explain your circumstances may result in them extending your deadline for requalification.

I am a silver, and I am going to fly 59,000 miles in my current year. Will Cathay be lenient and bump me to Gold?

Based on experience, it appears that Cathay is not lenient for attaining a new tier. Consider making alternative plans to reach that additional 1,000 missing club miles before your membership year ends.
Print Wikipost

[pre 15 April 2016]Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club - Membership and earn/burn FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by craig44485
Will Expert Flyer give you this info also or just KVS?
Not just KVS. As you know, the data that KVS has for Oneworld is from screen scraping airline websites, which is available for free. There are also other services, such as AwardNexus.com which offer a free version for FT members that have the data. No need to pay KVS for it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
I'm terrible at finding answers to questions on this sub forum, but can anyone confirm whether a redeemed CX flight using Avios points is eligible for MPC miles collection?

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:49 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by karaokequeen3
I'm terrible at finding answers to questions on this sub forum, but can anyone confirm whether a redeemed CX flight using Avios points is eligible for MPC miles collection?

Thanks!
You redeemed a flight using avios and you want to earn miles into Asia miles and club miles? Sorry no you won't be able to as your redemption is in a fare class that doesn't earn miles.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
Originally Posted by sxc
You redeemed a flight using avios and you want to earn miles into Asia miles and club miles? Sorry no you won't be able to as your redemption is in a fare class that doesn't earn miles.
Thanks - I haven't done what you said. Should have rephrased that better, it was more of a general question!

Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:03 am

Is there any way to earn club miles other than actually flying?

So far it seems all of the credit card programs will give you Asia Miles, but not Club Miles to be used towards getting to a higher tier.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
No, there's no other way than flying to earn club miles.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:15 am

Question about the earning rate on partner airlines:

The wiki links to the Asia miles earning chart, which includes some non-oneworld carriers (Alaska, Air China, etc.).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that flying with a non-oneworld carrier would only earn you vanilla Asia Miles, but not Marco Polo Club miles - flying with Aer Lingus for example wouldn't help you get Marco Polo tier status at all.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html - this should be the chart for eligible club miles, no?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nappington
Question about the earning rate on partner airlines:

The wiki links to the Asia miles earning chart, which includes some non-oneworld carriers (Alaska, Air China, etc.).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that flying with a non-oneworld carrier would only earn you vanilla Asia Miles, but not Marco Polo Club miles - flying with Aer Lingus for example wouldn't help you get Marco Polo tier status at all.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html - this should be the chart for eligible club miles, no?

Correct. AM only, no MPO sector/miles.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I've got three flights where I've flown, but mileage was not credited. I normally filled out a request online and in a week or less I get my miles retro credited. However for the last three flights I have the same issue.

After I fill out the request, the system tells me my request has been denied. The reason I get is:
err_reject_code_001
We are unable to find your membership name on the flight passenger list.

I have boarding passes to prove I was on the these flights. Do you guys recommend I mail them to MPC with a missing mileage request because I've called them a couple times they always give me the "We'll get back you" standard reply.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by alphaod
I've got three flights where I've flown, but mileage was not credited. I normally filled out a request online and in a week or less I get my miles retro credited. However for the last three flights I have the same issue.

After I fill out the request, the system tells me my request has been denied. The reason I get is:
err_reject_code_001
We are unable to find your membership name on the flight passenger list.

I have boarding passes to prove I was on the these flights. Do you guys recommend I mail them to MPC with a missing mileage request because I've called them a couple times they always give me the "We'll get back you" standard reply.
Go to MPC counter with the boarding pass at HKIA?

p.s. Scan / take a photo of them for yourself first
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
Go to MPC counter with the boarding pass at HKIA?

p.s. Scan / take a photo of them for yourself first
Argh. I now have some 4-5 flights not credited. I called them, but I keep getting the rejections. Looks like I need to visit the MPC counter. The only issue is my arrivals in HKG are usually earn 5-6 am or late 10-11 pm.

EDIT: Wow I should have gone earlier. I talked then in the afternoon and by midnight it was credited. All my missing flights.

Last edited by alphaod; Oct 17, 2014 at 1:06 am
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
For the Marco Polo Club for $50 USD fee , once you join are you a member for life? I fly maybe once a year and just want to make sure it is a deal.
I just earned 17000 miles for my trip i took in August, I plan to get 17000 miles again for the trip I will take next week, can i join marco polo club now and be upgraded to silver? or do i have to earn the points while I am a marco polo member?

Last edited by happyvoid; Oct 19, 2014 at 2:35 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:34 am

It's for life assuming you fly the minimum 4 sectors a year, but I've heard they don't really enforce this requirement.

And you can only earn Club miles for flights after you join (so you won't be able to get the 17000 miles you earned in August towards your Silver status); you'll want to sign up before your next flight if you want to earn Club miles.

You can earn Asia Miles (for redemption) from some your past flights if you're not already an Asia Miles member.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:08 am

Do you think this is possible?

I want to fly Frankfurt-Hong Kong in CX First with +1. There is one seat available on Asia Miles and 1 with avios. If i book them at the same time should that work, or am i going to lose one seat? And if it is not possible should i secure the one seat with avios and hope that they release another one closer in on asiamiles?

Thanks guys
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:18 pm

Can someone please tell me is AA fare "O" is eligible for miles/segment? It doesn't appear on the Cathay Chart. There is "O" listed for US Airways, but not American.

Thanks.

ANSWER: As suspected, an "O" fare doesn't' qualify. I was finally able to contact Cathay for verification.

Last edited by znke252; Nov 22, 2014 at 11:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.