Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

[pre 15 April 2016]Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club - Membership and earn/burn FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
What is the difference between Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club?

The Marco Polo Club is Cathay Pacific’s official loyalty programme. Asia Miles is an unaffiliated travel reward programme comprising of a variety of airline and hotel partners, as well as credit and charge card companies, car rental agencies, telecommunications companies and other non-air partners. Members of The Marco Polo Club are automatically enrolled as Asia Miles members. The Marco Polo Club gives you benefits for being loyal (eg lounge access, extra baggage), and Asia Miles is where you earn and burn miles and free flights.

What mileage will I earn for a particular flight and fare class?

Please refer to the Asia Miles website for the earning rates on Cathay Pacific and other Airline Partners.

Airline Partner Earning details

What are good credit cards to earn Asia Miles in HK?

See this thread: Best Credit Card Conversion Rates for Asia Miles (HK)

Does The Marco Polo Club status match?
MPC generally does not status match to another carrier's elite FFP just because you want one. You may write to the Club with details of your past flying pattern, and they will consider status matches on a case-by-case basis.

For more information , please read this thread: CX Status Match

I am moving to HK - should I consider changing to Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club?

Please see this thread for questions on moving to HK and your choice of loyalty program: Moving to HK master thread

What is the difference between Club Miles and Club Sectors?
Eligible earning fares will earn both Club Miles and Club Sectors. Club Miles is the number of miles flown on the particular flight (plus a 110%, 125%, or 150% surcharge if travel was in Premium Economy, Business or First Class respectively). Club Sectors are earned per sector flown on an eligible Cathay Pacific or oneworld flight. Passengers earn 1 Club Sector for every Economy Class sector, 1.1 for every Premium Economy sector, 1.25 for every Business Class sector and 1.5 for every First Class sector flown.

Tier qualification may be achieved by either Club Miles or Club Sectors but not both.

If you are flying an airline partner that is not a member of oneworld (eg Jet Airways), you will only earn Asia Miles and you will not earn Club Miles.

I do not have elite Marco Polo status but I will be flying over 120,000 miles in the next year. Does this mean I can leapfrog straight from no status to Diamond status?
No. The Marco Polo Club applies a stepped tier programme starting from Silver tier. This means that once you exceed the 30,000 miles (or 20 Club Sector) threshold, you are automatically granted Silver tier membership. At this time your mileage balance is reset to zero to reflect the fact that you are commencing a new membership year at Silver tier.

You then have another 12 months from the date of earning Silver tier to fly a further 60,000 miles to earn Gold, at which time you will again be reset to zero and your membership year reset to allow a further 12 months in which to earn Diamond tier. This means that you need to fly 30,000 + 60,000 +120,000 = 210,000 miles to jump straight from no status to Diamond tier (or the equivalent in Club sectors).
Note that your membership year runs from the day you attain a new tier until the end of that month plus 12 months. For example, if you earn Silver tier on 6 April 2009, your membership year will run from 6 April 2009 through to 30 April 2010.

Should you fail to advance to a higher tier, your membership year will be reset on the last day of the month in which you earned your current tier. Thus in the example above, if in the following membership year you earn 45,000 miles, you will be reset to zero at silver on 30 April 2011.

Huh? I still don't understand how qualification works.
cxfan1960 has kindly provided the following "flowchart for dummies":

(1) Join MPC - Start membership year -> go to (2)

(2) Green
* Minimum 30,000 Club Miles or 20 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for Silver. Reset membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Renew Green at end of membership year for another membership year.

(3) Silver (oneworld Ruby)
* Minimum 60,000 Club Miles or 40 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for gold. Reset membership year -> go to (4), else;
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Silver at end of membership year for another membership year, else;
* Back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

(4) Gold (oneworld Sapphire)
* Minimum 120,000 Club Miles or 80 Club Sectors within membership year - qualify for Diamond. Reset membership year -> go to (5), else;
* Between 60,000 and 120,000 Club Miles, or between 40 and 80 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Gold at end of membership year for another membership year, else;
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles, or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Silver at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Less than 30,000 Club Miles, or less than 20 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

(5) Diamond (oneworld Emerald)
* Minimum 120,000 Club Miles or 80 Club Sectors within membership year - renew Diamond at end of membership year for another membership year;
* Between 60,000 and 120,000 Club Miles, or between 40 and 80 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Gold at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (4),
* Between 30,000 and 60,000 Club Miles, or between 20 and 40 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Silver at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (3), else;
* Less than 30,000 Club Miles, or less than 20 Club Sectors within membership year - back to Green at end of membership year for another membership year -> go to (2).

I am not going to earn enough miles to requalify at my current tier. Does Cathay do soft landings or will I be sent straight to the tier at which I have enough miles to qualify for?

There is no official soft landing policy. It is possible if you are a Diamond, to go straight back to Green if you fly less than 30,000 miles in a year. Sometimes soft landings are reported, but it is on a case-by-case basis.

I am going to be just shy of requalifying at a certain tier. Will Cathay let me have that tier anyway?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that if you are a couple of thousand miles short of retaining your current tier before your membership year expires, you will be requalified at that tier on expiry date. There doesn't appear to be a hard and fast rule regarding how much of a shortfall is allowed.

Alternatively, writing in to the Club to explain your circumstances may result in them extending your deadline for requalification.

I am a silver, and I am going to fly 59,000 miles in my current year. Will Cathay be lenient and bump me to Gold?

Based on experience, it appears that Cathay is not lenient for attaining a new tier. Consider making alternative plans to reach that additional 1,000 missing club miles before your membership year ends.
Print Wikipost

[pre 15 April 2016]Asia Miles and The Marco Polo Club - Membership and earn/burn FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Just call or write them. It doesn't hurt to try. You chance will be high if you have been flying J/F on CX. Otherwise it depends.
Here's my experience with this. I just switched over to MPC with my move to HK, hit silver in three months and am now one sector away from gold in under five months. Mix of both long haul J and short haul Y and J.

I've got a personal trip to Taipei this weekend, which would be sectors 40 and 41. In other words, I'd be gold by the time I fly back to HKG.

I called up MPC and tried asking for an upgrade to gold one sector early, so I can get on the 1630 TPEHKG flight using the Gold guarantee. No, was the answer from the Manila call centre.

"The requirement is for 40 sectors sir. Please fly 40 sectors," repeated ad nauseum.

Was put to a supervisor, who declared that she was the final word on the issue and refused to transfer me to anybody else.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by carmy
Here's my experience with this. I just switched over to MPC with my move to HK, hit silver in three months and am now one sector away from gold in under five months. Mix of both long haul J and short haul Y and J.

I've got a personal trip to Taipei this weekend, which would be sectors 40 and 41. In other words, I'd be gold by the time I fly back to HKG.

I called up MPC and tried asking for an upgrade to gold one sector early, so I can get on the 1630 TPEHKG flight using the Gold guarantee. No, was the answer from the Manila call centre.

"The requirement is for 40 sectors sir. Please fly 40 sectors," repeated ad nauseum.

Was put to a supervisor, who declared that she was the final word on the issue and refused to transfer me to anybody else.
Fortunately it does not appear Manila is responsible for answering emails.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Fortunately it does not appear Manila is responsible for answering emails.
Right! Going to email them right now, but not going to hold my breath.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I did a status match late last year from United 1K to MPC Silver. Over the past few months I've completed MPC Gold status and am on the path to attain MPC Diamond in a few months.

As I think about balancing my United and CX flights for this year, I'm trying to get a better sense of the incremental value of going from MPC Gold to Diamond -- is it really worth it? Are there any informal or unofficial perks to getting to MPC Diamond that sweeten the deal? Or are some of the stated benefits more valuable than they seem?

(As I've already secured MPC Gold through Feb 2017, is it worth it to stay at MPC Gold for the year and instead working towards maintaining United 1K or Platinum this year?)

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
There is a significant gap between DM and GO, and it's felt in the software. Basically on board, and ground services. If you fly paid J longhaul, i consider J-F op-ups pronably the nicest perk.

I'm on mobile right now, hard to type this is a long topic but do a search around. It won't be the easiest to find given FTs ghetto searching but indeed this is discussed a bit before.

I've been DM a 8 years going. CX has a bad (comparatively) mileage earn/burn rate. The sticky factor is the service they offer to DMs. A fair question is how much better are DMs treated than other OWEs, many which are far easier to earn than DM. In general it seems DMs receive better service than OWE, but the degree is debatable.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
May I redeem Asia Miles on Cathay flights without an MPC membership?

(i.e. I have accrued AsiaMiles through a credit card partnership and wish to redeem them on CX)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by ralphs
May I redeem Asia Miles on Cathay flights without an MPC membership?

(i.e. I have accrued AsiaMiles through a credit card partnership and wish to redeem them on CX)
Yes of course! (And on any other AsiaMiles redemption award).

After the ongoing changes in MPC I expect that only a small minority of AsiaMiles members will also be MPC members.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by christep
Yes of course! (And on any other AsiaMiles redemption award).
That is true for flight awards. All Asia Miles members can redeem. However, there are some other awards, e.g., lounge accesses, that can only be redeemed by MPC members.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I'm sorry--have another silly question that I'm afraid to start a new thread for:

What fare class on JL does an AsiaMiles Oneworld award book into for Premium Economy? I'm trying to look up availability on ExpertFlyer.com, and KVS advises that JL PEY awards book into "P/WS", but I'm not seeing anything FWIW the flight in question is 1/1/17 JL 62 NRT-LAX.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:05 pm

How did you manage to redeem JL PE with Asia Miles http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts#3

Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:32 pm

Oh wow. Asia Miles can only redeem PE on CX and BA? Thanks for that clarification.

What award booking code does AM redeem into on JL and AA? Multi-carrier (CX,JL,AA) at 80k biz is looking real good versus 72k PE with two econ segments.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:38 pm

(Booking with Asia Miles) JL is U for J and S for Y. AA is also U for J, not sure for Y.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 10, 2016 at 11:45 pm
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan, BAEC
i'm considering booking a CX reward flight using BA avios, for segments such as HKG-SIN where BA does not fly. anyone knows if I will get Asia Miles in this case?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by vn10
i'm considering booking a CX reward flight using BA avios, for segments such as HKG-SIN where BA does not fly. anyone knows if I will get Asia Miles in this case?
You don't earn miles on award flights. Miles are only earned on revenue tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: CX GO
Hello there,

I have a noob question. Is it possible to redeem award flights for multi-cities? From their website I can only redeem for same destination return flight.

Thanks!!

Last edited by wenbin85; Mar 28, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.