Wiki Posts
Search

inflight internet ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by cartman7110
I would think Linda would also tow the official line that its on the works.
Its not on the the works nor is it in the works
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:05 am

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Originally Posted by mayodave
Its not on the the works nor is it in the works
I didn't know your other profession happens to be grammar police.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: Asia Miles, Marco Polo, Virgin Flying Club, Etihad Guest & Silver BA Executive Club
CX wifi will be free?

As mentioned in an article by Aspire Aviation:

http://www.aspireaviation.com/2014/1...o-take-flight/

An exciting point for technology-savvy passengers is that Cathay’s inflight Wi-Fi, provided through the Panasonic eXConnect system, will be free of charge, according to Aspire Aviation‘s sources at the airline, which helps enhance its product proposition, although this means the airline will also have to invest in 24/7 customer service team with the social media team communicating with its counterparts in the air in helping solve passengers’ issues in-flight.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:14 am

I can see it now: hundreds of middle age mainlanders trying to use the internet flagging down flight attendants: "小姐,我怎么上網啊?“

heh heh....
Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
So I read this entire thread and I wonder ... is having inflight internet really that important for majority of CX passengers?

I can see it being used by an airline as a way to compensate passenger (lack of) experience onboard but I don't think CX is such an airline? I need inflight internet when flying domestic US routes but so far, I never felt such need when flying CX.

For work, I think the majority can always download what they need prior to boarding and re-connect once they arrive at their destinations. As for people who absolutely must have connection (lest the world falls apart), such an important person presumably have access to private jet?

To me having internet connection on CX is one of those nice thing to have but not essential. Definitely not if it means pushing up ticket prices (the link above mentioned it is going to be free ... which means one way or the other everyone onboard is paying for it cause there ain't such a thing as free internet). J fare ex-JFK is expensive enough as it is (which is why these days I try to fly ex-LAX).

Am I in the minority in feeling that having inflight internet on CX is nice but not essential? And in case people are wondering about my age, I did grow up with the internet.

Last edited by Rivarix; Oct 4, 2014 at 3:36 am
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Am I in the minority in feeling that having inflight internet on CX is nice but not essential? And in case people are wondering about my age, I did grow up with the internet.
I can't say how I'd feel if I did get it (I frequently use WiFi on US domestic flights), but I agree with you that at least for now, I don't see WiFi on CX flights as essential.

Let me take a hypothetical...I fly to SFO a lot. My choices on that route are SQ, UA and CX. I have flown all three of those carriers on that route, including perhaps 40 (maybe more?) segments on CX in the last 7 years. There is zero chance I'd make my decision on internet accessibility even if one or more of the carriers had it. I like being DM, so CX will always get the bulk of my business. And that's driving the majority of my ticket purchase decision. CX in both J and F are spectacular on that route (especially since the 747 is gone so it's all Cirrus J now). SQ used to have the A380 on that route briefly but it's gone now and with it are the suites class. That was perhaps a little different but it's irrelevant now. And I prefer CX's hard product to SQ anyway and far prefer the service I get on CX as a DM. Singapore adding internet wouldn't change anything for me. If SQ is significantly cheaper than CX for some reason, then I'll choose SQ. And United?! I mean, what if United offered internet and CX/SQ didn't....do I even need to answer that question? United could be half the price of CX/SQ and I wouldn't fly them if I can avoid it, even if the internet was free.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:10 pm

well, I won't fly another airline just because CX doesn't offer WiFi, but having internet would make the flying experience that much better.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
For an airline that likes to consider itself customer-centric, the lack of wifi is stunning.

The question of whether it is "essential" poorly frames the question. Of course, wifi is not essential; no more so than caviar, Krug, and pajamas. But some of us would value wifi much more than superficial luxuries and faux pampering for a few hours. Not only would I'd trade every one of those those things for wifi, I would even be willing to forgo those things AND pay a premium for wifi access.

And while I'd like wifi internet... I would NOT like them to allow voice calls. Me surfing the internet does not impact anyone else's quiet time... while jabbering on the phone for 16 hours most certainly would.

I suspect if Cathay could offer it now, they would (especially if they could charge for it!). My guess is that it has something to do with the China Air comment earlier... I could easily see the Chinese government withholding permission until China Air is ready.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:25 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
For an airline that likes to consider itself customer-centric, the lack of wifi is stunning.

The question of whether it is "essential" poorly frames the question. Of course, wifi is not essential; no more so than caviar, Krug, and pajamas. But some of us would value wifi much more than superficial luxuries and faux pampering for a few hours. Not only would I'd trade every one of those those things for wifi, I would even be willing to forgo those things AND pay a premium for wifi access.

And while I'd like wifi internet... I would NOT like them to allow voice calls. Me surfing the internet does not impact anyone else's quiet time... while jabbering on the phone for 16 hours most certainly would.

I suspect if Cathay could offer it now, they would (especially if they could charge for it!). My guess is that it has something to do with the China Air comment earlier... I could easily see the Chinese government withholding permission until China Air is ready.
It's 100% the PRC withholding the approval for inflight wifi.

I'm wondering if they will phase out the IFE and have it streamed to the portable devices inflight as most people have one.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:02 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by gemini573
It's 100% the PRC withholding the approval for inflight wifi.

I'm wondering if they will phase out the IFE and have it streamed to the portable devices inflight as most people have one.
You got proof or it is your speculation? They could have just turned off wifi in China air space and there are flights that don't pass through China air space too I believe.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I have flown all three of those carriers on that route, including perhaps 40 (maybe more?) segments on CX in the last 7 years.
QRC3288, did you mean you flew/fly about 40 segments on CX per year ?
Just wondered. Otherwise you won't be DM if it were just 40 in the past 7 years?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I find it hard to believe that internet will be free. Maybe there will be done limited sites that are free.

Bandwidth is expensive and so is the equipment so I doubt it will be given for free to all passengers.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
QRC3288, did you mean you flew/fly about 40 segments on CX per year ?
Just wondered. Otherwise you won't be DM if it were just 40 in the past 7 years?
Ah perhaps I wasn't clear.

It's an estimate, but I suspect I have flown to/from SFO on CX at least 40, most likely more in the last 7 years. Something like that. I went back and checked, I've done 7 SFO sectors on CX in the last 12 months, and it has been a fairly "normal" flying pattern to SFO for me these 12 months.....of course, SFO isn't the only destination I fly in North America....looks like I've done 12 other CX TPAC's in last 12 months spread out between LAX, JFK, EWR, ORD and YYZ.. Or put simply, ~10x round-trips to North America on CX in the last 12 months, with about 35% of those sectors to/from SFO and the rest spread out across CX's NA destinations.

And to make sure this stays on topic.......internet obviously is not going to sway me one way or another with those types of flying patterns, but I understand what folks are saying about it'd be nice to have.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:04 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
I find it hard to believe that internet will be free. Maybe there will be done limited sites that are free.

Bandwidth is expensive and so is the equipment so I doubt it will be given for free to all passengers.
There is at least one airlines giving this out for free. It is not something unprecedented
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by JALPak
There is at least one airlines giving this out for free. It is not something unprecedented
Out of interest, which airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.