Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

HKG Lounges

For F Lounge, how does the food selection at the Wing compare to Pier. Any advantages with Wing other than remodeled?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:46 pm

Similar, if not worse. Same buffet selection, mediocre a la carte menu, terrible dining environment.

Good luck trying to find a seat during peak periods too.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

OK, good to know. I will stick with the Pier. I've never had a problem at the Pier. I never seen more than few tables taken when I'm there...usually 8am or around noon. I find the buffet at the pier pretty awesome but maybe I have low standards. I'm usually in a AA Flagship or JAL F Lounge.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by b-hqb
Similar, if not worse. Same buffet selection, mediocre a la carte menu, terrible dining environment.

Good luck trying to find a seat during peak periods too.

The Buffet is good and the a la carte menu is of good quality just not too many choices, but at least they change it.

Much better than BA's CCR/GF in LHR.

Definitely a step up from the Pier.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Current: UA 1K, AA EXP; BA Silver; Former: EK Gold (2004-11), LH SEN (2007-14)
Was at the Wing yesterday and found the food very good - especially the a la carte items. Had the soup, and a main/course with wine pairing for lunch, and thought it was excellent (better than BA Galleries First, but I haven't tried the CCR)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Travelpro1970
For F Lounge, how does the food selection at the Wing compare to Pier. Any advantages with Wing other than remodeled?
Wing definitely has superior, and more extensive, food options than the Pier and I haven't had a bad experience there with food (I have had a bad experience with crowds). IMO, however this isn't saying much. If you've hit up other global F lounges you won't be blown away.

Even though it's not an F lounge I recommend the Cabin (near gate 21, near the Wing), which provides a more casual environment, and has a station with hot paninis and antipasta. The paninis rotate but the mornings are almost always egg/tomato, and they swap when those run out. The swap occurs any time between 11am and 3pm depending on how busy the morning was. The afternoons include either turkey, pork or some other style I can't remember. I thought they did a reuben a long time ago but I haven't seen that recently enough to remember.

You can't get the paninis in the Pier or Wing. I've been DM (Cathay's Emerald) for 5 years running, and I'd say I hit up the Cabin half the time. When the Wing got remodeled I briefly made that my go-to place, but I've reverted to frequenting the Cabin. I just prefer it. I really think that's a lounge where CX hit a home run. It just feels "different" than the Pier and Wing. Both the Wing and Cabin can get absolutely packed, fyi depending on the time of day.

The least crowded lounge for someone with F access is usually the Pier.

And if all of that sounds bad, there's Popeyes, McDonalds and Tsui Wah in the main food area. Which has free wifi, like the rest of HKIA. And unlike the CX lounges, the public seating area ALWAYS has available seats and tables. And it's staffed by cleaning people who are pretty diligent about keeping the space tidy.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm at the Wing now for the first time since the renovation. I think the Pier has more food choices talking strictly about the buffet. The ala carte menu at the Wing is a nice addition but I'm here at breakfast and the menu is just basic breakfast items. No complaints though. The Wing at this morning hr is 1/2 empty.

I will report back on my way back which will be an afternoon connection
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Do the F lounges at HKG have JW Blue Label? Since they have it onboard, it would be reasonable, but I don't want to assume.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:59 am

I am QR silver can I use the lounge in HK? Using CX for
Intra flight. OW emerald in Ocotber when QR joins OW!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by gwar69
Do the F lounges at HKG have JW Blue Label? Since they have it onboard, it would be reasonable, but I don't want to assume.
They don't.
F lounges are mostly used by DM and OW emerald. Even wines are poor.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
Bummer. My traveling companion leaves 6 hours before I do, so it's either a long lounge stay or head back into town. I went to the FCT in FRA last year, and was hoping for something similar.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by brunos
They don't.
F lounges are mostly used by DM and OW emerald. Even wines are poor.
From everything I've read, I'm prepped to be pretty underwhelmed by the HKG lounge experience. I think this is the one thing that *A does a lot better...they keep the real first class lounges just for first class flyers.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
From everything I've read, I'm prepped to be pretty underwhelmed by the HKG lounge experience. I think this is the one thing that *A does a lot better...they keep the real first class lounges just for first class flyers.
having been in the Qantas F lounge in Sydney on Wednesday evening I can only echo the general consensus on this thread. the QF F lounge is everything the new Wing F should have been. Spacious, great food (all a la carte), great wines.

This in contrast to my Wing F experience on Monday morning where there was a queue of 20 pax to get into the dining area for breakfast at 7am and barely a seat available outside
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by mdevans
This in contrast to my Wing F experience on Monday morning where there was a queue of 20 pax to get into the dining area for breakfast at 7am and barely a seat available outside
ha, epic. this reflects my last two experiences in the Wing. I saw folks again last time letting themselves in from the J side. I wonder how many folks are just helping themselves into the F lounge because there is zero enforcement.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
No...
NH lets everyone in their F lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.