Jetstar Hong Kong - Effect on CX

Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Jetstar Hong Kong - Effect on CX

So has this been approved then? Just noticed a huge billboard has gone up in Causeway Bay advertising the launch. Hopefully this will function well to keep CX fares in check ^

Last edited by cxfan1960; Apr 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reason: Title changed by mod - The discussion is regarding its effect on CX.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Took just over a year (and that's with China Eastern providing political cover) but yes, it is approved. CX must be quaking in its boots as those 3 A320s enter the market. Talk about starting small.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
deleted
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:26 am

Expected by year-end : http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-year-end.html
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by phol
So has this been approved then? Just noticed a huge billboard has gone up in Causeway Bay advertising the launch. Hopefully this will function well to keep CX fares in check ^
The billboard has been there for quite a while now - since early December last year, if my memory serves me right.

When it finally launches, Jetstar HK will have a much larger impact on KA rather than CX, given its focus on the mainland market.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:18 am

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...ne-by-year-end

not yet been approved

Qantas was hoping to get approval by first quarter 2013- now they have postponed it - I have a strong feeling it will be postponed for even longer or not even start.

Air China -(stake in CX)> China Eastern>>>>>>Qantas - my thoughts on what may be happening
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JeCCo
The billboard has been there for quite a while now - since early December last year, if my memory serves me right.

When it finally launches, Jetstar HK will have a much larger impact on KA rather than CX, given its focus on the mainland market.
Really? On the tram stop? I walk past it every day and never noticed it before
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Nothing has been decided.

Not approved yet.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:49 am

Programs: QFF
They do have IATA and ICAO codes though... That's normally one of the last things before getting an AOC.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:04 pm

I've been wondering what's been going on w/ the development of Jetstar HK also. I did notice the billboard on the CWB tram stop and it has been there for awhile already.

I remember there was supposed to be a budget airline to fly between Okinawa and HKG which advertised there too a few years ago, but that never started. I forget the name.

I won't hold my breath for Jetstar HK until I start seeing flights, despite the Businessweek article. Also, the secondary Chinese cities also makes it very blah for actual HKers. More tourists for the city I suppose.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
if jetstar asia is anything go by i would say CX are laughing - they've made a profit 1 year out of 10 and are much bigger than JQ HK will be.

might be good for getting a cheap flight and access to the QF lounge (as a QF Plat).
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by phol
are not CX fares already kept in check by its competitors- or is CX just so much better that their competitors cannot beat them by price?(the latter is very hard to believe)

in my opinion I would rather the slots Jetstar is going to use be used to fly to new destinations that are not connected to Hong Kong- it is better for the city

and there is enough competition to keep prices in check-other airlines are not lunatics.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kachjc
are not CX fares already kept in check by its competitors- or is CX just so much better that their competitors cannot beat them by price?(the latter is very hard to believe)

in my opinion I would rather the slots Jetstar is going to use be used to fly to new destinations that are not connected to Hong Kong- it is better for the city

and there is enough competition to keep prices in check-other airlines are not lunatics.
I dont see many direct competitors to CX through HK at all.

I know two things.

A 3 hour flight to Japan costs about the same as a 12 hour flight to London (and LHR-HKG is one of the more expensive routes).
People said the same thing about LCCs in Europe, but it turned out to be brilliant for the entire market.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:28 am

Checking out random dates in May:

HKG-KIX return, 294 USD Stopover, 516 no stopover
HKG-LHR, 879 stopover, 1286 no stopover
HKG-PAR, 804 stopover, 1457 no stopover

Adding taxes/ surcharges will make LON look worse, but it is well over twice the price on base fare alone
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peasant
Checking out random dates in May:

HKG-KIX return, 294 USD Stopover, 516 no stopover
HKG-LHR, 879 stopover, 1286 no stopover
HKG-PAR, 804 stopover, 1457 no stopover

Adding taxes/ surcharges will make LON look worse, but it is well over twice the price on base fare alone
Last time I flew to Tokyo it cost me $6000. My mother in law is over here from London at the moment and it cost $7000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.