Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - DPS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Decision made.

Ps. Will to you all how I got on with the F seats later.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Hi all. Had some success. Asked the check in agent. Who first said that he F cabin was booked. I then said that I thoughts the cabin was reserved for gold card holders to which she asked me to wait a moment then printed off boarding passes for seats 4A and 4D.

Looking forward to the flight now. Paid for j with avios and end up in F. Hopefulky the seats will be ok for us as a couple.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Looks like this route will soon be changed from a 747 to a 777 (3 class), but in MMB for my flight in August it still shows a 747 I am flying from HKG on 26 August and back on 6 September.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:49 am
Original Poster

I compleley forgot to update this thread.

For peoples info, I managed to secure two F seats at check in after explaining that my wife was gold.

CX F is amazing. So glad I came to know about this glitch. Even managed to get a bit of sleep. The seats/fodd/service were amazing and far better than BA can muster up. Great price as well in miles with hardly any taxes.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:35 am

As a CX non-elite I wasn't allowed to sit in the F section for HKG-DPS even though I was flying from JFK in F.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
As a CX non-elite I wasn't allowed to sit in the F section for HKG-DPS even though I was flying from JFK in F.
Whoa! That's unusual. Any more detail? My non-status family has gotten the nose when connecting on in F. Was the onward flight in a separate PNR by any chance? This is very unnerving to hear about.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Whoa! That's unusual. Any more detail? My non-status family has gotten the nose when connecting on in F. Was the onward flight in a separate PNR by any chance? This is very unnerving to hear about.
Don't worry you will be blocked in those seats, in fact all CX flights in the future. Actually you are in violation of the FFP rules
Old Jun 8, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Don't worry you will be blocked in those seats, in fact all CX flights in the future. Actually you are in violation of the FFP rules
That's just spiteful and doesn't add value. If there's been a chance in policy regarding how CX allocates F seats when sold as 2-class planes, it would be interesing to hear.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
HKG - DPS

For what little it's worth, my wife and i were allocated f seats from dps to hkg last september. We had ud seats assigned in j before check in, but we received the f seat (row 3) on check in without even having to ask. It looked like cx ground staff had pre printed the f class boarding passes as our agent left the desk to go find our new f boarding passes...

I assume we received the f seats because we both had an onward connection in f on the same pnr, though we were spending a few days in hkg first. I assume we were allocated the f seats based on our onward connection, as neither of us have status with cx or any ow airline.

I know this data point is somewhat long in the tooth, but thought I'd share in case it's helpful...

Btw we used baec pre avios miles for the trip if that matters...
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:14 am

My route was JFK-HKG (F) and HKG-DPS (J) with about a 4 hour layover in CX F lounge. I asked at the lounge and at the gate, but got refused both times to sit in the F section of 747. I was bummed, especially when I saw 2 pax were seated up front. Oh well. FWIW, it was an award ticket using AA miles.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
My route was JFK-HKG (F) and HKG-DPS (J) with about a 4 hour layover in CX F lounge. I asked at the lounge and at the gate, but got refused both times to sit in the F section of 747. I was bummed, especially when I saw 2 pax were seated up front. Oh well. FWIW, it was an award ticket using AA miles.
That absolutely stinks. I'm very sorry. It sounds like there's considerable discretion - as opposed to concrete policy - on how these seat allocations are treated. I'm discouraged for my upcoming trip.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Jamienbaker, you've been luckier than me. I don't think I've once been able to get F seats allocated to my non-status wife and son on DPS-HKG. I've always gotten it for myself and then switched with one of them. I do have to say that for a four hour flight, I don't see it as a big deal.

Also, CX is notorious for equipment substitutions on inter-Asia routes. For me, most times, it's been a 747 substituted for a 777 but I've had the opposite happen as well.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Jamienbaker, you've been luckier than me. I don't think I've once been able to get F seats allocated to my non-status wife and son on DPS-HKG. I've always gotten it for myself and then switched with one of them. I do have to say that for a four hour flight, I don't see it as a big deal.

Also, CX is notorious for equipment substitutions on inter-Asia routes. For me, most times, it's been a 747 substituted for a 777 but I've had the opposite happen as well.
On what basis did you try? Meaning, what was their eligibility? This is seriously bumming me out.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
On what basis did you try? Meaning, what was their eligibility? This is seriously bumming me out.
I wouldn't get too worried about it. I think there's a certain randomness to the assignment of those seats. We flew that route once a year, for five out of six years from 2005 through 2010. (Went to PNG two years ago and through CGK last year.) Maybe half the time, we were on F awards, half the time J. All except one time that a 744 was flown, I received an F seat. Wife and son never did. I was EXP each year. I always asked mentioning that, and when we were on F awards, mentioned that as well. We were generally flying peak times, late July or August, so competition for the seats may have been particularly fierce.

I'm once again flying into DPS this year at Xmas time. We're J outbound, F return unless F seats open up. Right now, both are scheduled as 772s, so we'll hope for a last minute equipment substitution.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I wouldn't get too worried about it. I think there's a certain randomness to the assignment of those seats. We flew that route once a year, for five out of six years from 2005 through 2010. (Went to PNG two years ago and through CGK last year.) Maybe half the time, we were on F awards, half the time J. All except one time that a 744 was flown, I received an F seat. Wife and son never did. I was EXP each year. I always asked mentioning that, and when we were on F awards, mentioned that as well. We were generally flying peak times, late July or August, so competition for the seats may have been particularly fierce.

I'm once again flying into DPS this year at Xmas time. We're J outbound, F return unless F seats open up. Right now, both are scheduled as 772s, so we'll hope for a last minute equipment substitution.
Any recent updates? I'm flying JFKHKG/DPS (only that direction), 4 pax booked in F awards in late August. Currently showing 744.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.