Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Protocal for Typhoon Delay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Proper Protocal for Typhoon Delay?

I'm supposed to fly from hkg to sfo tonight and HK is going through a typhhon 9-10 signal. It doesn;t look like my flight will be taking off and will be cancelled. For folks with experience, what is the protocal for cancelled flight? Will people on this flight get priority or will we be on standby the next few days. I hope only some flights are cancelled and not a ton like 5-6 years ago when airport was shut down for days.

I need to be back in the states by Wednesday morning for an important meeting. What can or should I do to make sure I get on the next flight out? I don't mind if they put me on a comparable flight but I suspect that all airlines will probably be affected.

I don't know if they are required to get us on the first flight or scatter us on flights with empty seats. Any insight would be appreciated. I expect to receive cancellation confirmation any time now. I expect chaos as there are a lot of people at the gate ready to find out the next step.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Since you said tonight do you mean you are taking CX872/25JUL? If so, Vincente will be over by then, so no need to worry. Also, I see no sign that there either CX870/24JUL or CX872/25JUL will be cancelled.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

No... i mean right now.. 24th
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Since you said tonight do you mean you are taking CX872/25JUL? If so, Vincente will be over by then, so no need to worry. Also, I see no sign that there either CX870/24JUL or CX872/25JUL will be cancelled.
Here at the airport, they've delayed it until 2am and a rep said they will likely cancel the flight because it's been changed to a signal 10.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Here at the airport, they've delayed it until 2am and a rep said they will likely cancel the flight because it's been changed to a signal 10.
OK...I see...sorry about that. Those who are booked on CX870/24JUL and CX872/25JUL have priority since they hold confirmed reservation. You will have to standby unless there are seats left (seems all FLTs are full in the next few days).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
OK...I see...sorry about that. Those who are booked on CX870/24JUL and CX872/25JUL have priority since they hold confirmed reservation. You will have to standby unless there are seats left (seems all FLTs are full in the next few days).
They just announced that it'll be delayed until 8am. I guess at least it's not cancelled. But if they cancell tomorrow am then it's possible that I wont be able to leave for a few days?

5-6 years ago i was bumped for a standby passenger. The thypoon then closed the airport for a couple of days and the affect was felt 4-5 days after it reopened! Nightmare again!

Wonder if I can get them to put me on a different airline?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I'm only trying to lighten the mood on a typhoon day.
Probably should just try to find a bar or lounge and make a drink or a couple

I'm seeing alot of CX inbounds diverted to ICN/TPE/KIX/HND,
829 surprisingly did got in this morning thus far

Update - Nope, 829 got diverted MNL, ouch

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jul 23, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
All early arrivals diverted. So far, only 178 from MEL has landed. The wind is now SE, which means crosswind at HKG. Last night, while the wind was stronger, at least it was from the NE direction, aligned with the runways.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by rkkwan
All early arrivals diverted. So far, only 178 from MEL has landed. The wind is now SE, which means crosswind at HKG. Last night, while the wind was stronger, at least it was from the NE direction, aligned with the runways.
CX748 from JNB has just landed too
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Waiting o find out if my flught will be able to take off
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I'm only trying to lighten the mood on a typhoon day.
Probably should just try to find a bar or lounge and make a drink or a couple

I'm seeing alot of CX inbounds diverted to ICN/TPE/KIX/HND,
829 surprisingly did got in this morning thus far

Update - Nope, 829 got diverted MNL, ouch
Have had plenty of drinks. Looks like i mind as well cancel flight now. Flight was cancelled. Most flghts next few days are fully booked. If confirmed passenger gets priority, that makes us standby? 300 sb paasengers? Not ure when ill be able to fly out!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001
Have had plenty of drinks. Looks like i mind as well cancel flight now. Flight was cancelled. Most flghts next few days are fully booked. If confirmed passenger gets priority, that makes us standby? 300 sb paasengers? Not ure when ill be able to fly out!
If you have MPC DM, you can try exercise your seat guarantee benefit now to reserve the Wed flights but not sure if you will be able to make your Wed morning meeting.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Be patient !

All I can say is that in times like these with a very strong typhoon warning, one should be patient. Airlines are in no control of the weather and please understand that you are not the only one affected. You are not the only one that has to be at some place by a certain time.

All the nearby hotels will be full. Be reasonable. If you can share a room, be generous and share. None of this 'DYKWIA' nonsense. Thousands will be affected. Some others may not be so lucky and basically they will be joining hundreds sleeping on the airport floor! I am sure HKIA staff will be providing as much comfort as possible but bear in mind that staff will also be severely strained as many would not be able to travel to work. That goes the same to the many airport food outlets at HKIA. They may run out of supplies and service may be slow.

Try not to scream at anyone. By saying thank you, and helping each other out goes a long way.

When the typhoon is over, be patient. Everyone is delayed. Everyone needs to go home or somewhere. Let the airline take its course to readjust itself as their timetable would be severely disrupted as well. It doesn't mean that if you see another airline taking off that would mean its ok for your flight to leave. CX, being based in HKG will see its flights severely disrupted as their aircrafts are displaced all over the region and not where they are supposed to be. Flights will be very full everywhere for the next few days if not till next week.

And once you're in your seat on your way home, spare a moment to thank that no one has been hurt, died, or lost anyone.

This is Mother Nature. She just needs to do her washing once in a while... as my grandma used to say when a typhoon comes.

On YouTube video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDOVA...ayer_embedded#!

Lets not try to be Miranda Priestly on "The Devil Wears Prada" says of the hurricane : "Its only drizzling" !

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jul 23, 2012 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
If you have MPC DM, you can try exercise your seat guarantee benefit now to reserve the Wed flights but not sure if you will be able to make your Wed morning meeting.
You can also try to route through TYO. Depending on where you are heading, there are still seats left if you don't mind doing a transit through non-oneworld carriers. Just make sure you leave plenty of time between your ex-HKG flight and your flight to TYO. From HND you can take the late night or early morning flight to SFO/LAX/JFK. Of course they will probably quite costly. Routing through ICN is another option too.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:54 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just for those of us not based in HKG, we haven't had a typhoon this bad for 13 years. The signal 8 and higher warnings (essentially most employees go home and HK grinds to a halt) have been up for 15 hours and will last for another hour more. Sorry if u are caught in this typhoon and hope you get back on your way soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.