Is CX happy that HX is in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Is CX happy that HX is in trouble?

Originally Posted by CX HK
Hold on - actually? I haven't been following up on HX but I always assumed they are the first "real" competitor to CX (even stronger than KA) simply because they have so much financial backing, plus they've put in ambitious orders...

Can anyone link me?
HX woes continue
Besides the collective sickie "strike", Apple Daily (which is just 0.01% more credible than discuss.com.hk/HKGolden) claim that:
- HX doesn't have enough cash to pay its cleaning company, so FAs are cleaning planes for the past few days
- HX is manning A330s with minimum of 8 crew instead of minimum 10 previously required
- some of HX delays attributed to lack of tugs. HX CEO claim they've ordered more and awaiting AAHK license to put them in service, but HX staff claim even with new tugs they don't have enough trained tug drivers to go around

http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...category=daily

CX must be drinking their own champagne...why bother protecting their BIS passengers when their nearest home competitor is about to go out of business?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
HX woes continue
Besides the collective sickie "strike", Apple Daily (which is just 0.01% more credible than discuss.com.hk/HKGolden) claim that:
- HX doesn't have enough cash to pay its cleaning company, so FAs are cleaning planes for the past few days
- HX is manning A330s with minimum of 8 crew instead of minimum 10 previously required
- some of HX delays attributed to lack of tugs. HX CEO claim they've ordered more and awaiting AAHK license to put them in service, but HX staff claim even with new tugs they don't have enough trained tug drivers to go around

http://hkm.appledaily.com/detail.php...category=daily

CX must be drinking their own champagne...why bother protecting their BIS passengers when their nearest home competitor is about to go out of business?
Again, unbelievable that this is occurring when Hainan Airlines is backing them. Took a browse through "Discuss.com.hk" and there are a lot of threads on the importance of HX to HK aviation.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Again, unbelievable that this is occurring when Hainan Airlines is backing them. Took a browse through "Discuss.com.hk" and there are a lot of threads on the importance of HX to HK aviation.
It's only important in that it can keep CX fares in check.
Kind of the same situation as VX in the US and PD out of YTZ.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:04 am

Darn it. No more Wing-Chun Flight Attendants?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
That's the part that I don't get.
I don't think it's a won't - if HX folds it's a serious loss of face for HU.

It's more than less likely a can't - but why?
Something about not being able to increase their stake to a majority?
Or not being able to invest more unless other HX shareholders also do so?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Er, guyz.... as we are getting a little OT here , I've started a new thread.

Thx

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum co-moderator
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Er, guyz.... as we are getting a little OT here , I've started a new thread.

Thx

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum co-moderator
Little OT? LoL I thought it was completely OT.

But anyway it's good to start a new thread.

I don't think CX really cares about HX at this stage - as they don't present a big threat to CX IMO, or only a very limited one. HX will only present a threat when they are doing good and taking CX's corporate business away - now it's the "otherwise" case... HX can only be considered as a regional airline with limited coverage rather than an "International Airline".

My view is if HX lapses, there will be another new airline that comes up to replace its market position. China Eastern has already got its hand dirty with the Jetstar Hong Kong deal, yes I know it's a budget airline but who know what will happen next?

So despite HX survives or not, I reckon CX's life won't be too comfortable in this competitive market anyway. Its attention should be paid on more important stuff such as strategies and business retentions... rather than keeping its eyes on how badly a local competitor operates and "feel happy" about it.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:24 pm

Did HX approach CX to help their passengers stranded by the cancellations and major delays? If so, I would think CX should be quite happy to get additional business.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:12 pm

CX wants to dominate HKG the way SQ dominates Singapore. Of course they are happy HX is going to tank. It is really hard to invade a market when the market already has arguably the top 5 airline in the world. Investors and management need to realize you probably need to run in the red for up to 5 years before you can really invade CX turf. CX has no problem lowering prices to drive any competitor out.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
it is strange that no one mentioned as was often in the past, the issue related to the desire of parent company Hainan to join OW, allegedly blocked by CX because of HX. Maybe what we are seeing now is the final endgame, that is HX is left to die, even if Hainan could back up the with, and CX is left without competition in its home, and withdraws any objection to Hainan to join (and also goes towards the wishes of both BA and AA for a mainland partner). For CA to switch to OW there is always time...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
HX owes over 20 Million to HAECO and more to HAS.

They don't have tugs, because they can't pay for them.

They don't have staff cause there is huge attrition rate due to low pay, or as of recently late pay.

While Hainan will support them.. one must consider how long.

Also, the most of the pilots working there are 3rd world guys (not being discriminatory) who will work for them as it pays more than working in Indonesia, but not to the same standard as BA/CX ect..
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Did HX approach CX to help their passengers stranded by the cancellations and major delays? If so, I would think CX should be quite happy to get additional business.
HX can't pay CX and CX is not likely to put them on account are they..
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
CX wants to dominate HKG the way SQ dominates Singapore. Of course they are happy HX is going to tank. It is really hard to invade a market when the market already has arguably the top 5 airline in the world. Investors and management need to realize you probably need to run in the red for up to 5 years before you can really invade CX turf. CX has no problem lowering prices to drive any competitor out.
CX has a larger share in hkg than SQ does in singapore
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:07 am

HX and CX don't have an interline agreement (i.e. they don't accept each other's tickets) So HX would need to go and physically purchase tickets on CX, rather than just "endorsing" them across. HX (according to website, which has list of interline agreements) does have agreement with Air China, so presumably they would be giving business to them (and other airlines they have agreements with), not CX/KA
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by CXBA
it is strange that no one mentioned as was often in the past, the issue related to the desire of parent company Hainan to join OW, allegedly blocked by CX because of HX. Maybe what we are seeing now is the final endgame, that is HX is left to die, even if Hainan could back up the with, and CX is left without competition in its home, and withdraws any objection to Hainan to join (and also goes towards the wishes of both BA and AA for a mainland partner). For CA to switch to OW there is always time...
Yes, it would be good to get Hainan on board OneWorld - it'll solve the problem of how to fly between Beijing and Shanghai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.