Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX and American Express Issue Cathay Pacific Credit Card

CX and American Express Issue Cathay Pacific Credit Card

Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:05 am
Original Poster

CX and American Express Issue Cathay Pacific Credit Card in Hong Kong and Taiwan

Now we know which company CX has teamed up with to issue their co-branded credit card--it is American Express.

See here: http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...ode=0000AVE002

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Jun 25, 2008 at 6:37 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:13 am

Does anyone know any details, eg:

1. How many dollars (pts) to one asiamile,
2. Is there bonus for overseas spending,
3. How the welcome miles and first month bonus can be gained?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Does anyone know any details, eg:

1. How many dollars (pts) to one asiamile,
2. Is there bonus for overseas spending,
3. How the welcome miles and first month bonus can be gained?
See the link I posted, above. But, to answer your query:

1.) 1 Asia Miles for HKD 8.00 local spending
2.) 2 Asia Miles for HKD 8.00 overseas spending
3.) Up to 60,000 bonus Asia Miles in first 4 months

No spending cap on #1 and #2, above.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Cool

Great! It can now bring me back to the Macro Polo for free.... has been grounded last year (and flying again from July) and I missed the business class check in counter....

But the earning rate is not attractive at all when compare with SC / DBS Amex ...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
The other benefits seem to be much the same as the old CitiCX card - online booking bonus, plaza premium lounge access, etc.

Plus it has what I think are the usual Amex benefits of Insurance, Extended Warranty, Purchase Protection, Travel Insurance, etc, which is better than the old Citi card.

The only thing I really don't like in the T&Cs is that all foreign currency transactions go through US$ and are at 2% off interbank. So if you make overseas purchases in any currency except US$ or HK$ then the effective rate is 4% off interbank, which is not very competitive at all.

The annual fee of $1800 waived for the first year.

There application form has some weird stuff on it. For example, trying to find my nationality I looked for British, then United Kingdom, and then finally found "England (British Citizen)". The other elements of the UK just have the country/principality/region name without any mention of British Citizen, which is a bit bizarre. It isn't clear to me how a non-Chinese BN(O) would apply. Many of the other country names have spelling mistakes! A number of the fields are too short to enter the required information. A bit shoddy overall.

I've applied, and at first sight this card is going to get my HK$ purchases and CX tickets. Non-HK$ expenditure is going to stay on my Citi Premier Miles card (because the exchange rate is better). The HSBC Premier Mastercard gets nothing unless they have special offers (as they have for May & June). I have still to do the sums on the Citi Premier miles introductory offer vs the Amex introductory offer for the period to the end of August (the Amex one is capped, so maybe can get both).

Last edited by christep; Jun 25, 2008 at 7:29 am
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: CX DM
anyone manage to find any penalties for cancelling the card after one year (they rescind the introductory bonus miles, etc.) ? this card is not very attractive if not for those offers, and i won't have any signifciant spending left (after the SCB and Citibank max and min requirements respectively) to put on this card that would qualify for an annual fee waiver. not unless i win the HKD 45M on thursday.

will likely apply then cancel before teh $2300 hits (primary + 1 supp).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
There's a 1 yr annual fee waiver... so u can pretty much just apply for this card, spend it once at starbucks or something, and then stash it away.. and still pick up 7K bonus miles.. sweet deal.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by christep
The other benefits seem to be much the same as the old CitiCX card - online booking bonus, plaza premium lounge access, etc.

Plus it has what I think are the usual Amex benefits of Insurance, Extended Warranty, Purchase Protection, Travel Insurance, etc, which is better than the old Citi card.

The only thing I really don't like in the T&Cs is that all foreign currency transactions go through US$ and are at 2% off interbank. So if you make overseas purchases in any currency except US$ or HK$ then the effective rate is 4% off interbank, which is not very competitive at all.

The annual fee of $1800 waived for the first year.

There application form has some weird stuff on it. For example, trying to find my nationality I looked for British, then United Kingdom, and then finally found "England (British Citizen)". The other elements of the UK just have the country/principality/region name without any mention of British Citizen, which is a bit bizarre. It isn't clear to me how a non-Chinese BN(O) would apply. Many of the other country names have spelling mistakes! A number of the fields are too short to enter the required information. A bit shoddy overall.

I've applied, and at first sight this card is going to get my HK$ purchases and CX tickets. Non-HK$ expenditure is going to stay on my Citi Premier Miles card (because the exchange rate is better). The HSBC Premier Mastercard gets nothing unless they have special offers (as they have for May & June). I have still to do the sums on the Citi Premier miles introductory offer vs the Amex introductory offer for the period to the end of August (the Amex one is capped, so maybe can get both).
Hi Christep,

Just want to know what is the the Citibank Premier Miles Card?

I currently have a Platinum Citibank Visa card and as I understand it I can convert to CX points but have to pay a fee (don't know the conversion rate).

Is this Premier Miles card something different?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by marcuslai
anyone manage to find any penalties for cancelling the card after one year (they rescind the introductory bonus miles, etc.) ? this card is not very attractive if not for those offers, and i won't have any signifciant spending left (after the SCB and Citibank max and min requirements respectively) to put on this card that would qualify for an annual fee waiver. not unless i win the HKD 45M on thursday.

will likely apply then cancel before teh $2300 hits (primary + 1 supp).
Actually, supp cards are free so it's only $1800. And it's waived with Silver or higher Marco Polo status.

Also, I'd say the earn rate of 4:1 local or 2:1 overseas for the first four months is pretty good. Also, Priority Pass lounge status. I don't have MP status yet so this is really good for me...

Last edited by MKE-MR; Jun 25, 2008 at 9:09 am Reason: add into
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:28 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by chinatown
There's a 1 yr annual fee waiver... so u can pretty much just apply for this card, spend it once at starbucks or something, and then stash it away.. and still pick up 7K bonus miles.. sweet deal.
just a small catch - the first-puchase bonus actually requires a purchase of HKD 100 minimum...so you do need to buy more than a couple of coffees if you want to do it at Starbucks...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by tedhl
just a small catch - the first-puchase bonus actually requires a purchase of HKD 100 minimum...so you do need to buy more than a couple of coffees if you want to do it at Starbucks...
A easy work-around ... get a Starbucks Card!!! ^
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
"Double Asia Miles earn rate in the first four months" sounds really attractive, but then the FX rate is just

After all those bonuses, which card would be better? Citi PremierMiles or CX AMEX?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:37 am

How is the 6K bonus miles earned? I am afraid I am not able to click into their site!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by kchika
the FX rate is just
Can anyone who has another HK$ Amex confirm whether this 4% from interbank for all non-HK$, non-US$ transactions is the same for all their cards?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
wrong post

Last edited by seiknujnama; Jun 25, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.