FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   does Cathay interline with Virgin Atlantic ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1349844-does-cathay-interline-virgin-atlantic.html)

corrad May 25, 2012 6:15 am

does Cathay interline with Virgin Atlantic ?

hi all,

I will be flying TPE - HKG on CX then HKG - SYD on VS on the same day. Could Cathay check my luggage all the way to Sydney, or do I have to go through customs in HKG and check in at Virgina Atlantic again?

ernestnywang May 25, 2012 9:33 am

No problem.

W/*CX¥*VS«
CX-160 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS/CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
VS-932 VIRGIN ATLANTIC/VIRGIN ATLANTIC

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
VS

portishead Aug 2, 2012 2:00 am

Would there be any issues with trying to interline baggage all the way to the US?

I am flying SYD-HKG on VS, and then HKG-SFO on CX. VS can check it all the way to SFO, right?

Guy Betsy Aug 2, 2012 8:49 am

Originally Posted by portishead (Post 19045117)
Would there be any issues with trying to interline baggage all the way to the US?

I am flying SYD-HKG on VS, and then HKG-SFO on CX. VS can check it all the way to SFO, right?

If you're departing on VS and you're not on one ticket, then the answer may be no. Cos in this case, its not CX but VS you should be asking about interlining issues.

You wouldn't have any problem interlining CX - VS. If you're on one ticket then VS will interline to CX. The problem is when you have seperate tickets.

ernestnywang Aug 2, 2012 11:18 am

Originally Posted by portishead (Post 19045117)

I believe you should be fine though better check with VS if on separate TKTs.

Code:

W/*VS¥*CX«
 VS-932 VIRGIN ATLANTIC/VIRGIN ATLANTIC                         

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING 
      CX-160 CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS/CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS LTD 

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO 
      CX

portishead Aug 2, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I will just make due, and try to work it out with the VS agent at SYD. Maybe they'll work with me b/c I'm on an Upper Class ticket?

Worst case, I have 3 hours to retrieve and re-check luggage...which should be ok unless immigration is crazy...

Guy Betsy Aug 5, 2012 1:58 am

Originally Posted by portishead (Post 19050946)
Thanks for the replies!

I will just make due, and try to work it out with the VS agent at SYD. Maybe they'll work with me b/c I'm on an Upper Class ticket?

Worst case, I have 3 hours to retrieve and re-check luggage...which should be ok unless immigration is crazy...

VS like BA has a policy of not connecting baggage to another airline's booking if its on seperate tickets. Upper Class or not.

Worse case, yes, is to exit HK and recheck to your CX flight.

daniellam Aug 5, 2012 2:22 am

Unofficial HKG CX Policy

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 19061879)
VS like BA has a policy of not connecting baggage to another airline's booking if its on seperate tickets. Upper Class or not.

Worse case, yes, is to exit HK and recheck to your CX flight.

CX in HKG seems to have an unofficial policy of allowing passengers transiting HKG on separate tickets (arriving on another carrier and transferring to CX) to not have to exit the transit area to retrieve their bags and recheck-in on the the departures level.

All the pax needs to do is to go directly to the CX transfer desk to check-in for their onward flight and provide CX with their baggage tag receipt (with bag tagged up to HKG). CX would radio their baggage staff to arrange to have the bag retrieved (either from behind the scenes or from the baggage carousel of the arriving flight depending on timing), re-tagged (with the proper priority tags as well if the pax is eligible) and transferred to the CX flight.

Guy Betsy Aug 5, 2012 2:31 am

Due to security reasons, I doubt this will work...

The only time that CX might do that is when you're already tagged on to a CX flight but due to a delay or cancellation of a flight, you are rescheduled onto another carrier. Then CX will contact their baggage services to retag your bag.

If what you say is true by any means, think about it, by the time passenger has gone to the transit desk, his bag might already be on the carousel.. and what? CX is expected to wait and check all 300+ pieces of bag for that one bag to transfer? CX won't even do that for DM / First members. Don't think so.

Be real ! Be realistic !