Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I have a flight coming up on CX from JFK-HKG and want to get seat 2A, which I think it open but reserved for those travelling with a baby.

AA EXP desk can't do it, called Cathay in Hong Kong to try and get them to do it, they said it was 'unavailable'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by tiffabits
I have a flight coming up on CX from JFK-HKG and want to get seat 2A, which I think it open but reserved for those travelling with a baby.

AA EXP desk can't do it, called Cathay in Hong Kong to try and get them to do it, they said it was 'unavailable'.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
If cathay says it is unavailable then it probably means someone has reserved that seat. I would consider 2A to be the best seat on the 77W so wouldn't be surprised if it has gone already.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone already claimed the seat hence "unavailable". CX is very good at letting you take the bassinet seat as long as you understands should there really is a need (another passenger has a baby travels with him/her), you would be reassigned another seat in the same cabin.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Happy
Someone already claimed the seat hence "unavailable". CX is very good at letting you take the bassinet seat as long as you understands should there really is a need (another passenger has a baby travels with him/her), you would be reassigned another seat in the same cabin.
That protocol has been replaced over the past 3-6 months with the agents saying that the seat is unavailable, or, sometimes, under airport control. As far as I can tell, this is a management directive, not a res system limitation. Ask for it when you check in, -- if you're early, you may get it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Another way would be to pay an extra 10% of the F fare for a non-existent baby and request a bassinet.

Then at check-in you would bring along your favourite stuffed animal/teddy bear.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by daniellam
Another way would be to pay an extra 10% of the F fare for a non-existent baby and request a bassinet.

Then at check-in you would bring along your favourite stuffed animal/teddy bear.
I dont think anyone would pay over $1K just to secure that seat!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I am currently booked in 1A JFK-HKG (77W). Do the CX experts here agree that 2A would be significantly better/quieter? In other words is it worth the trouble to try and get it?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AA ExPlat
HI there
As someone who is fortunate to travel on CX in F regularly I don't think that there is a significant difference to be honest ... a marginal one maybe
In the past I've managed to get 2A by phoning CX - though always with the proviso that I might be moved should someone need the bassinet.
The last time I did this was some in mid Feb but maybe CX have changed their policy since then.
But give them a call and see but I wouldn't worry if it's not possible - you will be just fine in 1A ..... enjoy the huge treat that is CX F
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Best F seats for couple on 77W

I am flying F (mileage award) on Cathay JFK to HKG on 10/1. What is the best combination of first class seats for the two of us. Currently have 1D and 2D assigned. On line shows all A and K seats unavailable?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kayjay
I am flying F (mileage award) on Cathay JFK to HKG on 10/1. What is the best combination of first class seats for the two of us. Currently have 1D and 2D assigned. On line shows all A and K seats unavailable?
Well, if you have 1D and 2D and all other seats are unavailable, I guess that you have the best two seats you can get.

The choice of seats for a couple in CX F on the 77W series is a much discussed topic. Consensus seems to be 1A and 2A.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlashba
I am currently booked in 1A JFK-HKG (77W). Do the CX experts here agree that 2A would be significantly better/quieter? In other words is it worth the trouble to try and get it?
Personally, I prefer 1A because of the window alignment/placement issue in row 2. You won't have any noise problems. The galley is located forward and far to the right on the other side of the plane. Lavatories are far forward, in the small corridor which leads to the flight deck. Having flown in 1A numerous times, I've never experienced any problem with noise.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, if you have 1D and 2D and all other seats are unavailable, I guess that you have the best two seats you can get.

The choice of seats for a couple in CX F on the 77W series is a much discussed topic. Consensus seems to be 1A and 2A.
I find it hard to believe that all 6 F seats are taken 180 days out. i have attempted t call Cathay's US 800 number without success. It is busy. Will probably use Skype to call overseas.

Assuming, for the moment that I had my choice, which combination of 2 seats in F would be the best for a couple?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by kayjay
I find it hard to believe that all 6 F seats are taken 180 days out. i have attempted t call Cathay's US 800 number without success. It is busy. Will probably use Skype to call overseas.

Assuming, for the moment that I had my choice, which combination of 2 seats in F would be the best for a couple?
your answer is in the read me first thread.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: FT
if you want my 2 cents, IMO, the placement of a soiled linen bin on the 77D on the middle bulkhead of row 11 on D, would IMO, from the traffict from BOTH F and J to the same, would suggest that I would rather be on the K side personally...probably 2K. i have not been in 2A in F but in 11A for a flight on the 77D and I must say, this bin was not there on the 77A and was rather annoying on my flight with the amount of traffict and at the end, the FA's trying to jam as much as they could into the same.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
your answer is in the read me first thread.
I have read "read me first"

There is advise at to the best seats for a couple flying 744, but not for a couple flying 77W.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.