Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So... if on a J segment, F award, on a route that has F cabins, what are the odds of getting into an F seat at the airport? No CX/OW status, willing to ask nicely, won't sulk if I end up in J (it's CX 634, PEN-HKG, so I think I would survive even if it was regional J).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 30, 2012 at 2:58 pm
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So... if on a J segment, F award, on a route that has F cabins, what are the odds of getting into an F seat at the airport? No CX/OW status, willing to ask nicely, won't sulk if I end up in J (it's CX 634, PEN-HKG, so I think I would survive even if it was regional J).
Why are you on a J segment on an F award? Was F award space not available?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT 2MM+, JL, CX, SQ, EK, QF, UA, BA, AR, Bonvoy Life Plat
Smile 1A On 77W Blocked on CX Website, Agent Says "No Problem"!

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
Another data point. Just got 1A & 2A on our 7 Aug outbound and 20 Aug return ORD-HKG-ORD. I was consistently told "no" in the past, but this time other than a brief hold there was nothing more than asking required, subject to the standard disclaimer that we may be moved if a baby shows up in 2A. Not likely I hope, since we are the only ones in F at T+8 days.
CX website seatmap still shows all seats blocked except for 2D on 77W (CX880 HKG-LAX 2/19/2013).

Called US 800#, hold for 45 seconds, asked for 1A, agent says whole cabin empty and I could have any seat I want. No hassle.

Really don't understand why we have to keep calling to get A/K seats. Seems like a waste of everyone's time. If anyone from CX reads this, PLEASE consider changing your policy.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by anabolism
Why are you on a J segment on an F award? Was F award space not available?
It's a route where 77Ws often fly on the route, but F is not bookable or sold. The cabin seating map shows F AND C, but I can only select C seats.

My understanding is that on those routes, it's a C service if you get in the F cabin.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by RD57
Really don't understand why we have to keep calling to get A/K seats. Seems like a waste of everyone's time. If anyone from CX reads this, PLEASE consider changing your policy.
I think they're trying a (somewhat poorly executed) policy of reserving the better seats for their own MPC members. So they make it an extra step to reserve the better seats unless you're MPC (IME as an MPC member, I never have problems with getting the seat I want in F unless there actually are pax assigned to those seats). The lame part about this informal policy it discriminates against cash F pax - clearly high value pax - who aren't MPC, and as you point out it doesn't actually inhibit anybody's ability to get those seats it just requires more work.

I'd far rather CX hold back a preferred seat or two in F for high priority pax at CX's discretion (maybe their own MPCs and cash F pax) and make it publicly known. Instead of trying to figure out about the baby bassinet, why the seats are blocked, etc. etc. etc
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:11 pm

First agent said 2A was blocked, couldn't be assigned. Called back in 10 minutes, second agent was happy to assign it.
Originally Posted by econjon
Just got our seats changed to 1A and 2A. Similar to previous posts, rep said not possible at first, but then said "let me try something." Bingo. BTW - keep calling the 800 number if it's busy. Finally got through and took all of 5 minutes to process.
My experience has changed...just two months ago, a quick call-back and 2A was ours. I've tried once or twice a day for a different trip, and the agents either say "unavailable," "airport control," or "blocked in case needed for a basinet." One agent even said "You called two days ago and as I told you then, the seat cannot be assigned until airport check-in."

Since this upcoming trip is just me, I took 1A, on the assumption that the extra privacy of the A side outweighs the extra traffic of the soiled-linen bin. Do those with experience concur, or should I switch to 1K?

Last edited by anabolism; Sep 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm Reason: Corrected seat -- meant 1K not 2K
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:45 pm

Since this upcoming trip is just me, I took 1A, on the assumption that the extra privacy of the A side outweighs the extra traffic of the soiled-linen bin. Do those with experience concur, or should I switch to 2K?
negligible difference. The soiled linen bin (in J) is not really a nuisance to the F cabin, only the guys sitting in J. It's the FA traffic mainly which is the nuisance not the noise, and since there's a curtain you don't really notice. I noticed it ONCE seated in 2A but it was more like I was already up, saw the curtain ruffling a few times, and was curious as to what was going on. But you won't notice it at all sitting in your seat. Row 2 (A/K) doesn't have a window immediately at your head, but rather about 6 inches forward (although the seat still has 3 windows, just like row 1 A/K). Frankly I prefer the window on 77W in F, and don't care about much else. 1/2 A/K I'm pretty much indifferent.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by pianoperson
HI there
As someone who is fortunate to travel on CX in F regularly I don't think that there is a significant difference to be honest ... a marginal one maybe
In the past I've managed to get 2A by phoning CX - though always with the proviso that I might be moved should someone need the bassinet.
The last time I did this was some in mid Feb but maybe CX have changed their policy since then.
But give them a call and see but I wouldn't worry if it's not possible - you will be just fine in 1A ..... enjoy the huge treat that is CX F
That's true. In CX F, just not much difference other then some folks minor preferences. In reality, they are all great seats unless a couple gets separated that's not happy about that. Then again some are happier separated for a few hours.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
negligible difference. The soiled linen bin (in J) is not really a nuisance to the F cabin, only the guys sitting in J. It's the FA traffic mainly which is the nuisance not the noise, and since there's a curtain you don't really notice. I noticed it ONCE seated in 2A but it was more like I was already up, saw the curtain ruffling a few times, and was curious as to what was going on. But you won't notice it at all sitting in your seat. Row 2 (A/K) doesn't have a window immediately at your head, but rather about 6 inches forward (although the seat still has 3 windows, just like row 1 A/K). Frankly I prefer the window on 77W in F, and don't care about much else. 1/2 A/K I'm pretty much indifferent.
Thanks very much! 1A it is for me
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
CX just bumped one of us out of 2K

Checking our reservations for Wednesday and noticed that CX bumped my partner out of 2K and moved him to 1A and left me in 1K. Called the US reservation line and they said there was no note in our record but it was probably because it was a bassinet location. Note that the seatmap showed 2K as open (as well as 1K, the other bassinet seat). I asked to have him moved back to 2K. Agent said she would try but not sure if the system will boot him out again. Flight current shows F1A1. Hopefully we won't be playing this game of chicken for the next 36 hours!

Last edited by ORDPLATAA; Mar 25, 2013 at 2:51 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:20 am

One agent even said "You called two days ago and as I told you then, the seat cannot be assigned until airport check-in."
Wow, what are the odds of scoring the same agent twice in such a short time.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Checking our reservations for Wednesday and noticed that CX bumped my partner out of 2K and moved him to 1A and left me in 1K. Called the US reservation line and they said there was no note in our record but it was probably because it was a bassinet location. Note that the seatmap showed 2K as open (as well as 1K, the other bassinet seat). I asked to have him moved back to 2K. Agent said she would try but not sure if the system will boot him out again. Flight current shows F1A1. Hopefully we won't be playing this game of chicken for the next 36 hours!
T-12 hours now....any updates?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:18 am

Got bumped too

Was checking a flight for a friend (in August) and noticed she had also been bumped from her seat, previously 2A, and assigned 1K instead.

In all my experience flying CX F it's the first time this has happened.

Considering how far out the flight is, it seems to me like CX is making this the standard practice and will refuse assigning 2A or 2K in advance unless there is a baby travelling.

Last edited by Jaffar; Apr 1, 2013 at 12:42 am
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: CX,KLM/AF,UA
Hi all,

I have the same experience with seat request on the 77W

I have make a cash booking, for First Class, no award booking, on a 77W. I can choose all seats, but not 2A or 2K, so I am now at 1A.

If I take a look at "manage my booking", I am now at 1A, but only 2D seems to be free?! But if I make a new booking, more seats are free, but not 2A and 2K, but you can choose the rest. I guess CX is "reserve" all seats for cash pax online.

One question, I have read seat 1A is a great seat and has no noise, but there was a pax writing about the light from the galley, do anyone has experience with this? I like a "dark" seat for sleeping, so should I better be move to 2D?

Any advise would be really appriciate
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by deso
Hi all,

I have the same experience with seat request on the 77W

I have make a cash booking, for First Class, no award booking, on a 77W. I can choose all seats, but not 2A or 2K, so I am now at 1A.

If I take a look at "manage my booking", I am now at 1A, but only 2D seems to be free?! But if I make a new booking, more seats are free, but not 2A and 2K, but you can choose the rest. I guess CX is "reserve" all seats for cash pax online.

One question, I have read seat 1A is a great seat and has no noise, but there was a pax writing about the light from the galley, do anyone has experience with this? I like a "dark" seat for sleeping, so should I better be move to 2D?

Any advise would be really appriciate
1A is a great seat on 77H. Generally the galley is quiet and the curtain shut. If for some reason the curtain pops open just let them know you prefer it closed - usually the're very embarrassed and will proactively keep it closed when they know it's important to you.

I've had a few times where cabin or cockpit crew are making noise in the galley, and frankly you'll hear it just as much from 2A as 1A. 1A is only a few feet in front of 2A. In that case you can also ask them to quiet down.

One small benefit to 1A (over 2A) is window placement. Both seats have three adjustable windows, but the first window in 1A is next to your head. Whereas in 2A, it's slightly forward of your head position, so when you have the seatbelt on in the upright position you have to lean your head forward. Thx to Dr HFH reminding me of that a while back. Although it's really pulling hairs - you can see out the window perfectly fine in 2A and 2K as well, just a little lean forward is needed during takeoff/landing. Both seats are great. And frankly, so is 1K and 2K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.