Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to assign F seats on CX on the 77W

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Flying HKG-LHR on a 77W. Revenue F ticket.

I am the only passenger in F right now (there are six seats in the cabin and five are still for sale).

All window seats are unavailable. I can choose 1D or 2D. Gee . . . thanks.

I should not have to call to get them to fix this. How CX is handling the seat assignments on-line is absurd.
I agree. I also have an upcoming flight where I'm the only pax in the F cabin right now, but I was only able to get 2D online. Of the 6 available seats in 77W, two are reserved for handicapped (1A & 2A) and two are reserved for baby bassinet (2A & 2K). For this trip, it took me 10 tries to get through to the US calling center to change from a middle seat to a window. This seems like a strange process for trying to select a seat.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Flying HKG-LHR on a 77W. Revenue F ticket.

I am the only passenger in F right now (there are six seats in the cabin and five are still for sale).

All window seats are unavailable. I can choose 1D or 2D. Gee . . . thanks.

I should not have to call to get them to fix this. How CX is handling the seat assignments on-line is absurd.
That is complete crap on CX's part. Sorry to hear that. I've always felt that revenue pax get a shorter straw than they deserve for F seat inventory. I wish CX just saved a seat or two and was honest in telling people "they are saved for last-minute cash customers".

Awards flyers, particularly AA folks redeeming points book their CX tix very early (due to vacation plans, less inventory, etc.), and they are committed to figuring out out how to get the best seats in the cabin (which any rational person would do). Cash pax, who tend to book MUCH later on down the road, are left with what's left. CX needs to do a better job of protecting the best seats. It doesn't make sense for CX to hurt the experience of a last-minute cash F customer to benefit an AAdvantage points redemption.

If you're MPC, the problem is alleviated slightly because by calling MPC (usually a quick exercise). They will assign you the seat you want, particularly if you're DM, without questions, as long no-one is actually sitting there. Still, I've booked last minute as a cash passenger and got stuck with the middle. I can imagine it really sucks if you're a last-minute booker and don't have status with CX. For reference, the only times I've sat in seats 1/2D on 77W or row 4 of 74A is when either: a.) I'm a cash pax, or b.) I'm op-upped. Never when I booked an award (which I ensure has better seat inventory, and I selected better seats) have I sat in those seats.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
is the 800 number ever not busy?

finally got through. had to listen to the music for about 30 minutes.

then it took 8 more minutes of hold for them to figure out if they could move my seat.

Last edited by jmw2323; Apr 30, 2012 at 6:08 pm
Old May 1, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jmw2323
is the 800 number ever not busy?

finally got through. had to listen to the music for about 30 minutes.

then it took 8 more minutes of hold for them to figure out if they could move my seat.
You may just have hit a very busy time. Yesterday (the same day that you called) I called a few times and got a busy signal. Then, when I did get through, only on hold for 2 or 3 minutes. All calls were within a 30 minute window in the early afternoon (EDT), IIRC.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You may just have hit a very busy time. Yesterday (the same day that you called) I called a few times and got a busy signal. Then, when I did get through, only on hold for 2 or 3 minutes. All calls were within a 30 minute window in the early afternoon (EDT), IIRC.
was probably the 4th day i had called. Gave up the previous 3. All settled now so i don't have to go through it again. Was hoping the time it took wouldn't be a complete waste. Got 1A, so i am happy.
Old May 1, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by jmw2323
Got 1A, so i am happy.
I have managed to get 1A allocated today too...

Cathay refused to do anything with the reservation as it was booked by BA.

BA initially told me they could not even find a free seat in the cabin. The chap on the phone was completely baffled as to why there were no seats available to be allocated to me... He said to leave it with him, and about 5 minutes later he called me, after having spoken to some Cathay back office, and had allocated me 1A. So, I am very happy now.
Old May 1, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I have managed to get 1A allocated today too...

Cathay refused to do anything with the reservation as it was booked by BA.

BA initially told me they could not even find a free seat in the cabin. The chap on the phone was completely baffled as to why there were no seats available to be allocated to me... He said to leave it with him, and about 5 minutes later he called me, after having spoken to some Cathay back office, and had allocated me 1A. So, I am very happy now.
just beware that if its a 77D, the A side is going to have the noise from the traffic from the F galley to the soiled linen bin next to the curtain between F/J at 11D. stupidest place for the same. there was a note about the same the other day...

the 77A does not have the same issue.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:59 am

My SFO-HKG flight scheduled for October was recently changed from a 747 to a 77W. Due to this change, the confirmed seating for my wife and I were reassigned and we found ourselves separated in seats 1A & 1K. I went online to ‘Mange My Booking’ and all window seats were shown as unavailable. I waited till exactly 6am PDT when the service line opened for the day and placed my call. I was able to reach an agent without any wait. I requested that our assigned seat 1K be moved to seat 2A. After about 1 minute, the agent was able to confirm that we now had seats 1A and 2A reserved. It appears that some of the issues experienced with changing seat assignments might be resolved.
Old May 20, 2012, 12:45 pm

Any luck getting a CX rep to put you in seat 2A or 2K on the 777-300ER?

So 2A and 2K in F are supposedly blocked because they are bassinet seats for travelers with babies. I really would like to lock in 1A and 2A for me and my fiance, but when I called in to try, they said the new system wont let them book people in 2A or 2K. Has anyone had any luck getting those seats booked in advance? If so, how?

Also, off topic, anyone know what the best seats are for couples in business class on this same plane? I was thinking 11A and 12A might be good.. or 11D/11G but that would be without a window.

Last edited by drdavidge; May 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
I called in a couple days ago about two trips with 77W F flights. On the first trip <1 month out, she wasn't able to override it to assign 2k, but on the second which is about 8 months out she was able to assign 1a, 2a.

I'm guessing they can override 1 seat per flight, since on the recent flight someone already has 2A.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Ahhhh please do a search! No need for a new thread! There are literally related threads going on right now about this
Old May 20, 2012, 9:16 pm

Any luck getting a CX rep to put you in seat 2A or 2K on the 777-300ER?

Luck o the draw with agents. I just did what you want to do last week.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Luck o the draw with agents.
First agent said 2A was blocked, couldn't be assigned. Called back in 10 minutes, second agent was happy to assign it.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by drdavidge
So 2A and 2K in F are supposedly blocked because they are bassinet seats for travelers with babies. I really would like to lock in 1A and 2A for me and my fiance, but when I called in to try, they said the new system wont let them book people in 2A or 2K. Has anyone had any luck getting those seats booked in advance? If so, how?
I had 2A ex-HKG after boarding. I was booked in 1A but since there were no passengers in F but me she made up 2A as my bedroom and I sat in 1A as the living room.

I did not ask for a bassinet though.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I had 2A ex-HKG after boarding. I was booked in 1A but since there were no passengers in F but me she made up 2A as my bedroom and I sat in 1A as the living room.

I did not ask for a bassinet though.
That's cool! I was able to get 1A and 2A assigned by calling Hong Kong directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.