Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Today at the Cathay (Swiss) Lounge at ORD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum

I am sitting in the "First" Class lounge that Cathay uses at Chicago - the Swiss Lounge.

Sadly, there is very little food because the passengers from the Business Class Lounge are filling their plates. What makes this a bit strange is that with a few exceptions, one wine and a couple of small plates of appetizers - the food is the same.

Nonetheless, they have emptied the larder. This requires that they enter the lounge, fill their plates, and take them back to the Business Class area passing the two lounge personnel.

Very strange. Perhaps someone who is wiser can explain this behavior.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They are hungry, there's no food on their side and nobody on your side is policing them.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
That's disturbing. I wonder if there is a different spread of food and beverage options (and enforcement of the biz vs. FC sides) later in the day when the lounge is no longer a contract lounge to CX but used by LX's own FC passengers?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:00 pm

Great, not only is F lounge a joke now they are not even enforcing it. I think the problem is F lounge doesn't have bathroom and people do move back and forth, and because F lounge has limited seats sometimes a few F lounge pax do move to J section to sit, which make policing impossible.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
In theory, Swiss Lounge @ ORD is not classified for Business and First Class purpose.

Based on CX's website, both lounges (SAS and Swiss) are available. But CX's system seems to assign Business and First (as well as GO and DM) to Swiss and the rest to SAS.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
As per my post, the food is the same in both lounges except in First there is a bottle Pinot Noir and a few appetizer items on small plates. In fact, I had to go over to the Business Class section to get some fruit and cheese as neither were replenished on the First Class side. In fact, in my three hours at the lounge - nothing was refreshed.

The Cathay person was surprised when I told her what was happening but felt there was little she could do as this is a contract lounge with Swiss. The Swiss person did not seem to care.

All in all, a poor showing for Cathay's lounge at ORD today.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
As per my post, the food is the same in both lounges except in First there is a bottle Pinot Noir and a few appetizer items on small plates. In fact, I had to go over to the Business Class section to get some fruit and cheese as neither were replenished on the First Class side. In fact, in my three hours at the lounge - nothing was refreshed.

The Cathay person was surprised when I told her what was happening but felt there was little she could do as this is a contract lounge with Swiss. The Swiss person did not seem to care.

All in all, a poor showing for Cathay's lounge at ORD today.
Must be the person. When I asked the Swiss attendant about things she will always deliver. There is a blonde there that is very active at the First Class lounge when I was there, not sure if she's still around as I've decided to return to JFK rather than go through ORD.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Too bad CX doesn't move the plane over to the AA gates after arriving at the INTL terminal. The FL lounge is at least a little better than the Swiss lounge as well as getting through security where AA is vs the INTL "cluster".
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

JAL and others do that - move to T3. Would be more convenient for connecting passengers since I suspect most, if not all, are in-bound on AA.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
In theory, Swiss Lounge @ ORD is not classified for Business and First Class purpose.

Based on CX's website, both lounges (SAS and Swiss) are available. But CX's system seems to assign Business and First (as well as GO and DM) to Swiss and the rest to SAS.
SAS lounge has no food other than a bowl of lunch box size Granny Smith apple and some crackers.

In November last year I wandered to SAS lounge and saw a lone DM there who was kicked out from Swiss lounge because he was in economy, status nothwithstanding. He was very unhappy and vowed to file a formal complaint when he got to HKG. The Swiss lounge of course, was extremely congested. Sadly, the new CX SFO lounge is not much better than Swiss lounge in my opinion - even less food offering than Swiss lounge when I was there in January.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Happy
In November last year I wandered to SAS lounge and saw a lone DM there who was kicked out from Swiss lounge because he was in economy, status nothwithstanding.
The trick is here. CX never says anything about who uses which. But they in fact assign to people (you don't have a choice).

But at the least - even SAS Business Lounge offers almost nothing, at least there is one thing that SAS can guarantee - silence

Originally Posted by Happy
Sadly, the new CX SFO lounge is not much better than Swiss lounge in my opinion - even less food offering than Swiss lounge when I was there in January.
They never anticipate that when they build the lounge, about 20% of the entire flight will actually step into the lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
They never anticipate that when they build the lounge, about 20% of the entire flight will actually step into the lounge.
How so? Don't they know the elite loading beforehand (assuming it did not change substantially)?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
How so? Don't they know the elite loading beforehand (assuming it did not change substantially)?
How can you explain a full lounge?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
How can you explain a full lounge?
I was referring to your phrase "They never anticipate." I mean, it is possible they anticipated it, but chose to go ahead and do it this way because it might be still better than using the BA lounge (both cost-wise and PAX experience-wise).
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Sorry to resurrect an old thread - just wondering, are there any other lounges at ORD T5 that are:

1) Better than Swiss
2) Open around the time CX departs
3) Accessible to OW Sapphire members

Perhaps BA or QF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.