Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:12 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by theworld
Also, thoughts on my foreign spend card?
A Fubon Visa has the same acceptance as a Public Bank Visa for acceptance. Essentially you're forgoing miles for a cost saving.

Fubon foreign currency conversion fee is 1.85%, which is 0.1% lower than most other banks that charge it.

Public Bank still passes through the 1% fee levied by Visa http://www.publicbank.com.hk/upload_...tcardfee_e.pdf

I'll also take into account Public Bank has 0.5%-0.6% cash rebate for spending.

So you're pricing, for $100 foreign spend:

33.33AM - 1.85 = 0.6 - 1
33.33AM = 1.45
1AM = $0.0435

Essentially, when I am paying with Fubon Visa over Public Visa for forex spending, I'm buying miles at $0.0435/AM.

Yes I would like to buy more at $0.0435/AM please! Can I have a million AM (serious)?

I'll adjust the cost for, say, 40K overseas spend a year to factor in Fubon's $250 AM redemption fee (which is really akin to an annual fee cos Fubon points expire every year):

$40,000 spend = 13,333 AM from Fubon or $240 Public cash rebate
Fees incurred: $740 vs $400

13,333AM - 740 - 250 = 240 - 400
13,333AM = $830
1AM = $0.06225

Yes please, still want the million!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by percysmith
If both you and SO have incomes then I suggest both of you churn Citi every after year - e.g. I got $1/mile for $15K on PM, $2/mile for 20K on Prestige.
How do you get those kind of welcome offers on Prestige and PM? I don't see them listed under the welcome offers for those two cards on the Citi Web site (or am I looking in the wrong place?)
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:29 am

percy - for all the help on this thread, we really need to buy you a beer!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:27 am

Cheers!

Here!

Thanks Percysmith!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:27 am
McM

Programs: Asia Miles
those are some big beers!!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:42 am
McM

just got my CX Elite!

activated online
registered for Priority Pass
also got e-blling turned on

anything else?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:13 am

McM - what e-billing?

dgittings - May 2014. The Prestige offer still exists, the Premiermiles offer is not as good now.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:19 am

Thanks you two! I had called the card centre previously and they basically said the record in their system showed I didn't apply for them together, yada yada, sorry nothing we can do. But there was a slight turn of events! Basically, I found the HKMA site where they had a list of banks' customer service numbers to handle special complaints and gave Citi's a call.

http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-funct...ut-banks.shtml

After leaving a message, a Citi rep called me back and actually took notes on what I was explaining (using serious phrases like "your allegations" and "we will conduct an investigation"). They got back to me with an e-mail last night, apologizing and basically saying I will be eligible for the 2 nights. Hopefully I'll see the letter soon.

I really hope you guys exaggerated about how not-so-great the resort was... the catch is they will hard sell you eh? Anything else I should prepare myself mentally for?

PS. Use that number wisely ^

Originally Posted by LchChester
I usually speak with the CS directly and skip the sales. Telling CS directly that you were told that you are entitled to both. (Call 2860-0360, choose language and press "#" a few times after their advertisement and you will be directed to CS immediately, dont bother to key in your card number even if you have one)

Btw, dont have too high expectation on the resort. I remember reading somewhere that the resort is not that great.
Oh. I missed this reply.

Actually I would take the $600 voucher over Anantara - after you've read this posts #2120 and #2121 .

And then book into a hotel/resort where they don't have property to sell.

I just didn't reference those posts at first as I don't want to apologise for Citi by saying the gifts were crap anyway. If Aquitane made a simultaneous application it is for Citi to issue him/her with the hotel voucher. It is then her decision to whether to be sold at or not.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Aquitaine
http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-funct...ut-banks.shtml

After leaving a message, a Citi rep called me back and actually took notes on what I was explaining (using serious phrases like "your allegations" and "we will conduct an investigation"). They got back to me with an e-mail last night, apologizing and basically saying I will be eligible for the 2 nights. Hopefully I'll see the letter soon.
Aquitane - surprised, given you don't have a slam dunk case (a bit more like he says she says from what I read).

I knew about the bank contact persons complaint route - I think someone used it on Citi successfully http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=9774&p=15 . But their case was a lot more rock solid than yours - essentially Citi put out a extra 25X points promo on the standard 5X Telecoms/Supermarket/Dept Stores in the end of 2012. They've been rewarding Apple Store as if Telecoms for 5X before the promo (Apple Store's merchant category has been changed to computers now), the 25X eligible spend terms relied on the 5X, and certain hongkongcard.comers loaded up on iPhones.

Citi marketing attempted to renege, excluding Apple when awarding the 25X points. Although I didn't play a promo I asserted they had no right to do this because they were relying on the 5X T&C and Apple was clearly a telecoms shop even with my own purchases in 2012 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=9774&p=8 #80 - they can either rely on Visa merchant categories, or a common sense classification of the merchant, but cannot change their minds after they chose the former for the T&C. A couple of hongkongcard.comers took my argument to Citi complaints who made marketing change their mind.

I'm not sure they used the Citi bank complaints person explicitly but I am sure they knew about it because we discussed the HKMA bank complaints person list in other threads.

But the hongkongcard.comers clearly had the T&C on their side, and clearly Citi was reneging their own T&C when excluding Apple from extra 25X points award. The T&C does not favour you at all, unless your sales made a representation of them (he seemed to have).

Ironically the bank that assisted me by providing Apple's merchant category (from an Apple purchase I made with its card under one of their promotions) was the bank I later complained against (to its bank contact person in the first instance) regarding that promotion. The case was eventually escalated to the HKMA.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 21, 2014 at 10:37 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:30 pm
McM

McM - what e-billing?

dgittings - May 2014. The Prestige offer still exists, the Premiermiles offer is not as good now.
should say "e-statement"

also need to setup my autopay with HSBC for this card

by the way, is there any diff between the Priority Pass vs the Premium Lounge?

flying to Sydney tomorrow, good timing to get this card
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:44 pm

In HKG the Priority Pass lounge is the [Plaza] Premium Lounge.

Not for Sydney however.

I don't do autopay but use PPS instead cos I deposit my cash in whatever bank cdm is convenient for me and I want to net air tix refunds where allowed.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Newbie question:

Did the AMEX CX Elite Card is considered as a Amex Platinium Card by the AMEX group ?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by trashn
Newbie question:

Did the AMEX CX Elite Card is considered as a Amex Platinium Card by the AMEX group ?

Thanks
Trashn: no
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by LchChester
You can - but some lounge guy match the name on Priority pass with boarding pass, no luck in this case.
For HKG my experience is Plaza allow on a light day. Never tried on a peak day but Plaza Premium lounges are like zoos on peak days anyway (East Lounge in particular).
At SIN travelling TZ departing T2. With missus and another couple who decided they don't feel up to hopping over to T1 Skyview. The couple didn't carry their Priority Passes, the missus has one Priority Pass and I have 5 (3 of them from Bankcomm).

On approach at Ambaasador Lounge T2 I asked if I can use any of mine for the couple. The receptionist said matter of factly he will only accept one PP coresponding to any one name. I pulled everyone out including my missus at that stage, gave the other guy my PP and BP and told him to impersonate me for entry, so he can go have his shower. His SO, my missus and I decided to wait outside.

Mean but compliant.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:17 pm

I know the CX Elite card earns at HKD 6 to 1 AM.

What about the earn rate for Amex Centurion and Plat?

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.