Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:21 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by theworld
Slightly relevant article in the SCMP today:

Keep track of your phone contracts or risk paying more: Consumer Council

The relevant bit being:

"Meanwhile, a survey by the watchdog on 16 credit card issuers also prompted a warning to consumers over misleading air miles programmes.

Some of the miles offered in the programmes were not free as additional administration and annual charges occurred during redemption.

"In fact, the cost of redeeming air tickets with credit card bonus points is not cheap," Leung said."
https://hk.news.yahoo.com/簽帳換里數-最平-5...225115284.html

My reaction to the person who forwarded me this: "Oh god. Worst consumer action since accc in Australia sued Visa to offer more DCC"

This will be more fodder for the no-fee Citibank Premiermiles Hongkie/Kiasu crowd. Let them rot.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 14, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Hi percysmith, two questions:

Originally Posted by percysmith
I haven't transferred any RewardCash into Asia Miles this year. All my RewardCash are going into Avios for 18 Avios/RC. The Rewardcash is being debited every Thursday and credited to my Avios a week later. Has your RewardCash been deducted yet?
Where do you see 18 Avios/RC? I only see the normal 15 rate where I've looked on the website. Is there a promo somewhere I've missed? (I've got a HK Premier MC.)

No there isn't, but the following options are superior:

HSBC 6X if you can set it to dining $2.78/mile ($180K 2014-15 limit)
SCB Worldmiles $5/mile
DBS Plat on dining $5/mile
Bankcomms on weekends $4/mile (with limit)
Are you sure the HSBC 6X works for banquets? My read of the T&Cs seems to exclude this, even at a non-hotel restaurant:

7. Only dining outlets in Hong Kong classified as restaurants or dining merchants according to the merchant codes issued by VISA International, MasterCard Asia/Pacific (Hong Kong) Limited and China UnionPay are included. Transactions made in respect of banquet services, private functions, private room events, dining outlets in hotels, department stores, associations and clubhouses, and the food and beverage services provided by a designated merchant of other spending categories will not be counted as an eligible transaction.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Where do you see 18 Avios/RC? I only see the normal 15 rate where I've looked on the website. Is there a promo somewhere I've missed? (I've got a HK Premier MC.)
Under "Travel Merchant Offers"

https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...erchant-offer/

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Are you sure the HSBC 6X works for banquets? My read of the T&Cs seems to exclude this, even at a non-hotel restaurant:
Pretty sure. I did 40K banquets at Man Ho this year.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:24 am

I fax the asia miles redemption form to Fubon Bank last Wednesday, and I still haven't received my miles. According to this page, it says it takes 2 days to complete the transfer. I called CS and they said they got the form. It seems like I really have to wait for a long time for the transfer :-(
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by host2087
I fax the asia miles redemption form to Fubon Bank last Wednesday, and I still haven't received my miles. According to this page, it says it takes 2 days to complete the transfer. I called CS and they said they got the form. It seems like I really have to wait for a long time for the transfer :-(
They seem to like to credit Wednesdays. Perhaps I've been sending all my forms on Monday.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Is there really no better option than $6 = 1 point for Octopus AAVS?

I'm about to start a job in HK so am looking for the best options to sign up for CC sign up bonus points and ongoing earn. Is there any Wiki type summary of currently available promos?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Is there really no better option than $6 = 1 point for Octopus AAVS?
Not at present

Originally Posted by Isochronous
I'm about to start a job in HK so am looking for the best options to sign up for CC sign up bonus points and ongoing earn. Is there any Wiki type summary of currently available promos?
Bit dated but see post 2. Actually welcome offers have gone south since I wrote that post.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
I haven't transferred any RewardCash into Asia Miles this year. All my RewardCash are going into Avios for 18 Avios/RC. The Rewardcash is being debited every Thursday and credited to my Avios a week later. Has your RewardCash been deducted yet?
Percysmith, how are you managing to do the debit every Thursday? I was poking around the website - 1) can't remember if I filled out the mileage programme form yet (will have to call and check), and 2) only found the paper form to fill out for BA Avios (although with the recent news from View from the Wing regarding the possible Avios deval, dunno if I want to dump my RC into Avios now).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by kawaii
Percysmith, how are you managing to do the debit every Thursday? I was poking around the website - 1) can't remember if I filled out the mileage programme form yet (will have to call and check), and 2) only found the paper form to fill out for BA Avios (although with the recent news from View from the Wing regarding the possible Avios deval, dunno if I want to dump my RC into Avios now).
I've done two transfers - one for me and one for my mother. Both went through on Thursday regardless of filing date.

Yes I used the paper form. Or you have to call up Premier.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by kawaii
(although with the recent news from View from the Wing regarding the possible Avios deval, dunno if I want to dump my RC into Avios now).
I assume you mean this http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-award-rates/

I also read this http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/50288 - seems like the View from the Wing post has been rebutted.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
I assume you mean this http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....s-award-rates/

I also read this http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/50288 - seems like the View from the Wing post has been rebutted.
Yeah, I think Gary made another post about how it may not mean devaluation - I plan to wait until my most recent round of RCs clear and then call up to do a transfer probably in a week or two. Just got to add in a calendar reminder before the 16th.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:53 am

HSBC 2 Sep-19 Oct - 1K RC --> 15K miles for 20K spend

https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk.../sep-off-peak/

Same earn rate as that 6X offer from that other Shanghai bank!

Very timely too for Hong Kong's primary production industry...

P.S. some cardholders also got an Exclusive Spending Rewards offer of 8X extra RewardCash in addition to the above.

http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito...3654_74810.jpg
http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito...3703_35233.jpg
http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito...3714_33796.jpg
http://www.hongkongcard.com/webedito...3727_58585.jpg

f you are selected, you will be told after you key in your card number with 8228 2068 for the original 1K RC for $20K spending promo. You will receive an additional registration number 20100xxxx along with normal Red Hot Spending Rewards registratio nnumber 10100xxxx.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: CX MPC
https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk.../sep-off-peak/

Same earn rate as that 6X offer from that other Shanghai bank!
Many thanks for posting, percysmith. Just trying to figure which way I should direct my spending this mornth. How does the maths on this HSBC promo compare with the September phase of the CCB 939 promo? (My target is $4,500 on CCB 939)

Presumably HSBC is better if you can hit the $10,000 or $20,000 thresholds? On the other hand, need to consider that doesn't cover transactions under $500 and (if you use CCB Eye) the 939 promo is stackable with 5X online/paywave and travel transactions bonuses
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by dgittings
Many thanks for posting, percysmith. Just trying to figure which way I should direct my spending this mornth. How does the maths on this HSBC promo compare with the September phase of the CCB 939 promo? (My target is $4,500 on CCB 939)

Presumably HSBC is better if you can hit the $10,000 or $20,000 thresholds? On the other hand, need to consider that doesn't cover transactions under $500 and (if you use CCB Eye) the 939 promo is stackable with 5X online/paywave and travel transactions bonuses
I never really thought of this as I can manufacture the spend I need.

But quick recap:

939 to 12,400: $2.12/mile
HSBC to 6K (no 6X): $3.22/mile
HSBC to 10K (no 6X): $1.51/mile
HSBC to 20K (no 6X): $1.23/mile

If I don't have any big spending or manufactured spending then CCB is defintely the easier "lifestyle" card. But I will definitely manufacture.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: CX MPC
If I don't have any big spending or manufactured spending then CCB is defintely the easier "lifestyle" card. But I will definitely manufacture.
Thanks, as always, percysmith. Will mull that over. Of course, another consideration is that HSBC allows you to choose Avois instead, which I know you value more highly (and I'm beginning to understand why)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.