Search

CX Y seat

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asia Miles, Skypass
CX Y seat

Hey guys,

Will be taking CX this April 2012 in economy. Last time I took CX Y was in 2008. JFK-HKG on those shell seats was so uncomfortable. My question is...is there a way to make the trip more comfortable? I read in previous posts that some passengers have used extra pillows? Any other tips???

And speaking of Y...any more news on CX replacing their current economy seats? Is that still gonna push through? Or is it just the premium economy seats?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:14 am

I will also be flying in April 2011 JFK to SIN in Y. First time on Cathay Pacific. We took the last row in the plane (I think its 66 AC). We were told that there is more room between the seats, and since we are traveling in a pair, we wouldn't have to sit with anyone. I have concerns about being so close to the bathrooms and worried that the seats many not fully recline. Should we move?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:35 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by thekidisback
Hey guys,

Will be taking CX this April 2012 in economy. Last time I took CX Y was in 2008. JFK-HKG on those shell seats was so uncomfortable. My question is...is there a way to make the trip more comfortable? I read in previous posts that some passengers have used extra pillows? Any other tips???
Slip the Discovery magazine behind the small of your back.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Joyce15
I will also be flying in April 2011 JFK to SIN in Y. First time on Cathay Pacific. We took the last row in the plane (I think its 66 AC). We were told that there is more room between the seats, and since we are traveling in a pair, we wouldn't have to sit with anyone. I have concerns about being so close to the bathrooms and worried that the seats many not fully recline. Should we move?
Bumpy ride?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: Who cares about your car rental elite status?
Hey guys,

And speaking of Y...any more news on CX replacing their current economy seats? Is that still gonna push through? Or is it just the premium economy seats?
I did ORD-HKG RT in Y about 2 weeks ago. As you may remember, the 777 shell seats are useless in the "reclined" position since they don't actually recline and simply slide the bottom forward. This stretches out the backing so you lose back support. The headrest is also usually then in a very awkward height.

The best solution for me was to simply not use the recline button. I bought a travelrest pillow, picked a window seat, and ate some melatonin so I slept about 10 hours in between the meals.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:26 pm

My question is...is there a way to make the trip more comfortable? I read in previous posts that some passengers have used extra pillows? Any other tips???
Shove anything you can find behind the seat on your back. Otherwise your back will start hurting about 5 hrs in, then your bump starts to hurt as well LOL

I really preferred the traditional seats, but those seats didn't have power iirc? Hopefully next year i fly they will have changed the Y seats... or they will upgrade me to J later this year.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:38 pm

What type of power ports do the Y seats have on a 77D?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ramblers63
What type of power ports do the Y seats have on a 77D?
110 V AC. Standard US plug fits. Also has some slots for other countries.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Joyce15
i wouldn't worry so much about being close to the bathroom. and none of the Y seats recline, they slouch...a very unfortunate setup.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by nightkhan
i wouldn't worry so much about being close to the bathroom.
Everytime someone flushes it sounds like sneezed in your ear. I usually stay away from seats close to the toilets. Also people lining up to go to the bathroom after every meal pisses me off.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:09 pm
ijm

I will be taking CX845 JFK-HKG in May. Hopefully by then CX change their Y seats *crosses fingers*

I was gonna take KE, but their fare to Philippine from JFK was kind of expensive. Cathay was the cheapest. This isn't my first time riding CX in Y. I'm not a big fan of their current economy class seats.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
...is there a way to make the trip more comfortable?
No offense - but the right answer is don't fly CX.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Lots complain about them, but I enjoy them, I know your probably reading this with your mouth wide open.....
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by KrazyTrain18
Lots complain about them, but I enjoy them, I know your probably reading this with your mouth wide open.....
I wouldn't go so far to say that I enjoy them, but I prefer them marginally to a reclining Y seat where the passenger in front can back their seat into my space/meal.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:20 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
"Any other tips???"

Get an empty seat (or two) next you

Flew ORD-HKG a few weeks ago and had one empty next to me going there and a whole row for the ride home. Slept nicely except for the damn airbag seat belts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.