Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Third runway at Hong Kong International Airport ‘going to be needed’ - Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:34 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Cooperation always sounds good good on paper, but never practical in application. I have tried flying to Shenzhen and then make my way to Hong Kong, and it's clumsy to say the least. I've tried the Bus ride to Lo-Hu, 1 to 1.5 hours depending on traffic. Then Lo-Hu custom is a nightmare in itself, a good hour for "foreigner" to pass the China and Hong Kong side, and then you can look forward another 30-45 minutes train ride to your destination in Hong Kong. Plus waiting time (for luggage, bus, train, etc.) that's a good 4 extra hours, not exactly my idea of "convenience." Fu-Tien (Lo Mak Chou) custom port is not much better for "foreigners" as the desks open are usually 3-4 and service is ultra slow
We loathe having to travel to our PRC destinations through Bao'an now. I'm willing to concede the current inconveninence may be amoleriated if Route 8 and the AEL had been built to Bao'an instead of Chep Lap Kok. The new Shenzhen Bay is a reasonably comfortable way to get accross the border right now (if you go by car).

But still the loss of control over when to expand is still a concern. Until the Mainlanders can demonstrate they can get their act together to build adequate airport (at least, without the presence such a face-preserving activity such as the Olympics on PEK).
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by percysmith
. Shoot Jake please.

It's the same case with CLP and its LNG terminal - which in that case, the PRC team won the argument and we're all going to have a central LNG terminal in Shenzhen. Now with Fukushima curtailing the use of nuclear power and everyone fighting to bits for LNG, let's see if we can get all the LNG we want.
I agree Vanderkamp is not always correct but look at my next post on this matter.
As regards China based LNG terminal that was to prevent CLP making further investment in HK which would entitle them to major increases in tariff under the Scheme of Control. In 2015 the Caspian pipeline will arrive and start feeding Hong Kong and the local air will get cleaner. Meanwhile a second nuclear plant next to Daya Bay is already in operation and over this we have no control. CLP takes clean power from these plants to HK then burns coal in Hong Kong to re-export 20% of its electricity back to the brown out PRD.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:18 pm

Press Release http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/m...ses/ex_49.html

Chek Lap Kok: Hong Kong's Airport for the Millennium(HONG KONG, 15 March 1997) -- Aviation markets in the Asia-Pacific region are set to grow by leaps and bounds, and Hong Kong's new airport at Chek Lap Kok is on line to take this growth in its stride, Chairman of the Airport Authority Hong Kong, Mr Wong Po-yan said yesterday.
Speaking to the Heathrow Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society in London, Mr Wong said Hong Kong's new airport would assure the territory's role as Asia's leading transport and tourism centre into the 21st century.
Over the next 20 years, it is estimated that about HK$1,560 billion (US$200 bn) will be spent on airport development in the Asia-Pacific region. More than 10 new international airports are currently being built in Asia alone, and this indicates how aviation markets are set to grow.
According to IATA forecasts, international scheduled passenger traffic in the Asia-Pacific region is likely to increase from 135 million trips to about 400 million trips a year between 1995 and 2010.
The region's airlines will take delivery of an estimated 3,400 new commercial aircraft, at a value of HK$2,652 bn (US$340 bn), during the next two decades. In other words, airlines are doubling their fleets and tripling their seat capacity.
China, with an average real growth rate of over 10 per cent a year, was developing into a world economic power and this underlined the future well-being of Hong Kong, Mr Wong said.
The new airport at Chek Lap Kok will serve as an international gateway to China as well as to the broader region of the Asia Pacific, as Hong Kong continues to develop as one of the leading services centre of the region.
"We are building the new airport within the parameters that have been set jointly by the British and Chinese governments. These include a requirement that we should maintain Hong Kong's status as a centre of international and regional aviation, and also ensure that the airport business is conducted on prudent commercial principles," Mr Wong said.
The AA has developed a realistic business plan to settle all outstanding Phase 1 debt, which currently stands at HK$8.2 bn (US$1.05 bn), by 2001. The Phase 2 second (northern) runway and its associated facilities, estimated to cost HK$4.3 bn (US$551 m) will be funded entirely out of borrowings.
The new airport will open in April 1998 with an initial handling capacity of 35 million passengers. Upon full development, it will be able eventually to process 87 million passengers and nine million tonnes of cargo.
"We are in the fortunate position of being able to build on Kai Tak's remarkably successful business," said Mr Wong. "At Chek Lap Kok, the Airport Authority will assume the role of strategic manager, overseeing commercial operations and ensuring that quality and free competition in all service areas prevail."
Ref. PR-265

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/pro...9/default.aspx
Lying at the hub of a global region reaching across Asia and Australasia, Chek Lap Kok is one of the worlds largest airports. Completed in 1998 as Hong Kongs sole air terminal, by 2040 it will handle eighty million passengers per annum - the same number as London's Heathrow and New York's JFK airports combined. Among the most ambitious construction projects of modern times, the land on which the airport stands was once a mountainous island. In a major reclamation programme, its 100-metre peak was reduced to 7 metres above sea level and the island was expanded to four times its original area - equal to the size of the Kowloon peninsula.

http://www.hkairport2030.com/en/deve...ortLayout.html
Layout of proposed Number 3 runway and new 3rd runway terminal

Master Plan 2030
One year after, on 2 June 2011, the Airport Authority announced and released their latest version of a 20-year blueprint for the airport's development, the Hong Kong International Airport Master Plan 2030 to the public. [22] The study took three years and according to the authority, nine consulting organizations have been hired for the research, observation, planning and advice. The main focus is to improve the overall capacity and aircraft handling ability of the airport. Based on this, two plans have been made into options for public consultation:

Option 1: Two-runway system To maintain the current two-runway system, while there will be enhancements to the terminal and apron facilities to increase the airport's capacity. This option will enable the airport to handle a maximum of 420,000 flight movements per year, with annual passenger and cargo throughput increased to 74 million and six million tonnes respectively. The approximate cost of this plan is $23.4 billion Hong Kong Dollars in price of 2010, or HK$42.5 billion considering at money-of-the-day prices. It will increase number of direct jobs associated with HKIA to 101,000 by 2030 (from 62,000 in 2008) and generate a total of HK$432 billion (in 2009 dollars) in economic net present value (ENPV) over a 50-year lifespan up to 2061. However, the Airport Authority estimates that the airport will reach its maximum runway capacity sometime around 2020 if no extra runway is being added.

Option 2: Three-runway system This plan will focus on developing a third runway to the north of the Chek Lap Kok, the existing island the airport is built on, by land reclamation of about 650 hectares. The associated facilities - additional terminals, airfield and apron facilities will be built accordingly, and combined with the new runway, it is estimated that the airport would be able to handle a maximum of 620,000 flights per year (102 per hour), and meet forecast annual passenger and cargo throughput of about 97 million and 8.9 million tonnes by 2030 respectively.

There are possible drawbacks. Development costs are a concern: although the proposal would increase the number of direct jobs associated with HKIA to 141,000 by 2030 and generate an ENPV of HK$912 billion (in 2009 dollars) over a 50-year lifespan up to 2061, the estimated cost is approximately $86.2 billion (2010) Hong Kong Dollars, or HK$136.2 billion (at money-of-the-day prices). There are also environmental and local noise pollution concerns.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Ko...tional_Airport

http://uniquetraveldestinations.word...airports-2010/
HKG Airport passenger throughput 45.5m pax in 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's...010_statistics
HKG Airport passenger throughput 50.2m pax in 2010

http://www.echinacities.com/shenzhen...-shenzhen.html
Hey, It seems everyone is forgetting this being built now:
Underwater Express Rail to be Built Between Shenzhen Airport and Hong Kong Airport According to reports, plans are in place to construct a 42-kilometer underwater express rail connecting Shenzhen Airport and Hong Kong Airport. According to the preliminary plan, there will be four stops on the rail – two in each city. A total of 50 billion RMB will be invested in the project and construction will take about seven years. Once finished, it will only take 30 minutes from Shenzhen Airport to Hong Kong Airport. At present, the project is waiting for the approval of relevant departments in both Shenzhen and Hong Kong. (seems obvious the intention is to arrive HKG then take the express train 30 minutes to Shenzhen for domestic flights within China –otherwise why build the thing ?)
http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr10-11/engl...cb1-53-1-e.pdf

(c) Continuing to foster closer co-operation between the Hong Kong International Airport and Shenzhen Airport, including further planning of the Hong Kong-Shenzhen Western Express Line as a multi-purpose cross-boundary railway which complements the planning and development of Qianhai, Shenzhen and northwestern part of the New Territories and exploits the synergy from the complementary strengths of the two airports
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, TG *G, HH DM
That is interesting...

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
http://www.echinacities.com/shenzhen...-shenzhen.html
Hey, It seems everyone is forgetting this being built now:
Underwater Express Rail to be Built Between Shenzhen Airport and Hong Kong Airport According to reports, plans are in place to construct a 42-kilometer underwater express rail connecting Shenzhen Airport and Hong Kong Airport. According to the preliminary plan, there will be four stops on the rail – two in each city. A total of 50 billion RMB will be invested in the project and construction will take about seven years. Once finished, it will only take 30 minutes from Shenzhen Airport to Hong Kong Airport. At present, the project is waiting for the approval of relevant departments in both Shenzhen and Hong Kong. (seems obvious the intention is to arrive HKG then take the express train 30 minutes to Shenzhen for domestic flights within China –otherwise why build the thing ?)
Very interesting... With a 30 minute transfer between the two airports, then all of a sudden HKG can shed its short-hop China flights, free up the slots, and save a small fortune in pouring even more concrete. All they need to do, assuming this link materialises, is to find a nice solution to immigration. Once done, Bob's your uncle.

Anyone willing to place bets on the following course of action: HK moves ahead with runway 3, then professes surprise when the rail-link materialises but continues to extoll the virtues of a runway which suddenly is not that necessary anymore...
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Viking
Very interesting... With a 30 minute transfer between the two airports, then all of a sudden HKG can shed its short-hop China flights, free up the slots, and save a small fortune in pouring even more concrete. All they need to do, assuming this link materialises, is to find a nice solution to immigration. Once done, Bob's your uncle.

Anyone willing to place bets on the following course of action: HK moves ahead with runway 3, then professes surprise when the rail-link materialises but continues to extoll the virtues of a runway which suddenly is not that necessary anymore...
We like small planes. We need that runway anyway. At least it's better infrastruture spending than the Bridge To Nowhere (aka the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge).
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Viking
That'll make Bao'an airport a sweeter option than before. Currently I only really wanna go there if I can have a cross-border 8-seater pick me up from my door and drop me off at the Bao'an airport.

Normally if I'm flying domestic it's cos either my boss or my parents made me to. I'm not keen on PRC for holiday.

But keep in mind Bao'an's only one runway. There's only so much capacity from HK tourists/transit passengers before it'll start looking like PVG.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:18 pm

I went on a cruise this Sunday where I started bad-mouthing the Third Runway naysayers before I realised there was a HKDCS executive on board. When she spoke up, I toned down my rhetoric a bit and she did make some interesting points:

1. The original airport only levelled existing land. Third Runway will require reclaiming.

2. Reclaiming land will mean altering the temperature distribution of the waters off North Lantau and make it less habitable to dolphins. There's about 120 on the North Lantau coastline.

3. We can't build anything that'll keep making the coastline habitable for the dolphins yet let us build the runway.

4. During the reclaiming and construction, we might deafen the dolphins as well and kill some.

5. But on the other hand the majority will survive and just leave.

I suggested on the boat and I'll repeat it here - it's really something the public should decide during the public consultation - whether we keep the dolphins or whether we want the Third Runway. Personally as a FTer I'm still for the Third Runway. But the public should be consulted and the discussion shouldn't be just about the activists (yes, developers can also be "activists" - look at Cheung Kong/Goodwell stacking up supporters in the Vista Paradiso Incorporate Owners' meeting last month http://www.hkreporter.com/talks/thread-1193685-1-1.html)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
That'll make Bao'an airport a sweeter option than before. Currently I only really wanna go there if I can have a cross-border 8-seater pick me up from my door and drop me off at the Bao'an airport.

Normally if I'm flying domestic it's cos either my boss or my parents made me to. I'm not keen on PRC for holiday.

But keep in mind Bao'an's only one runway. There's only so much capacity from HK tourists/transit passengers before it'll start looking like PVG.
http://www.naco.nl/english/worldwide...n-airport.html
2nd runway and new terminal
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What I don't understand in this argument, and for which I have not heard a response to, is why the current airport cannot reach the capacity it was designed for in number of movements per hour. Apparently it's something to do with the mountains, but the mountains were there in the mid nineties when the airport was designed.

Not saying I don't want a third runway, but why not also max out the capacity that is already available?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by sxc
What I don't understand in this argument, and for which I have not heard a response to, is why the current airport cannot reach the capacity it was designed for in number of movements per hour. Apparently it's something to do with the mountains, but the mountains were there in the mid nineties when the airport was designed.

Not saying I don't want a third runway, but why not also max out the capacity that is already available?
Exactly.

One HKG runway is class 111A that alows instrument landing with visibility of 200m.
The pro camp state that the capacity will be reached by 2020 - ish
So why are they building the Bao'an express rail if they do not intend to use that airport for Mainland domestic after 2015 ? If they remove the short haul China domestic slots there are many more long range slots can be added.

http://www.naco.nl/english/worldwide...n-airport.html

o Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport (SBIA) is currently undergoing expansion in order to cope with future demand. West of the current airport, a large area of land is being reclaimed from the sea on which a new runway, parallel to the existing one, will be built.
A new terminal (T3) will be built in the new midfield area and in its final phase will be able to handle 60 million passengers. South of T3, between the two runways, a 2.2 million m2 area will become available for development. It is for this area, the "Comprehensive Aviation Service Area" that NACO prepared a land use survey. SBIA's objective is to strategically locate airside support functions and commercial functions in order to develop the landside into Shenzhen's second largest urban centre, which will function the same as a modern city centre. NACO prepared an Airport City Concept with a clear separation between airside and landside related functions and indicated the type of functions suitable for an airport city. The land use survey included calculations for the required land to be reserved for the individual functions and pointed out how interrelationships between functions can be optimised in order to maximise the airport city's profitability.
In addition to focusing on airport city development, the airport is also focusing on development as a cargo hub. SBIA expects to soon enter the world's top 30 cargo airports and therefore in cooperation with the Zhongyuan Design Institute (IPPR), NACO prepared a detailed master plan for the cargo area to be built in the future midfield area.
Services: determination of area requirements of functions; determination of support facilities and utilities configurations; development of "Airport City'' concept; determination of landside transportation requirements; cargo area design; phasing of the construction.
http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/shenzhen/
Lufthansa partnering air cargo at Bao-An
Surely it makes more sense to ship chinese made products from China than trucking to HKG for re-export ? How will this impact on HKG’s cargo hub ?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
I am up for anything as long as I don't have to make crazy connections from one airport to another..

AFAIC, third runway would be nice as long as all my flights can connect on the same airport. If I have to go to another airport just to make a connection to another city, why even bother?

Unless of course, they're just removing cargo from HKG to another airport that's fine by me..
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
I am up for anything as long as I don't have to make crazy connections from one airport to another..

AFAIC, third runway would be nice as long as all my flights can connect on the same airport. If I have to go to another airport just to make a connection to another city, why even bother?

Unless of course, they're just removing cargo from HKG to another airport that's fine by me..
True from a passengers point of view, but to HKG as an airport and Hong Kong as a city, the cargo continues to remain a major part of the economy, and I daresay that cargo traffic is the reason why CX is pushing so hard for a third runway.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Originally Posted by CX HK
True from a passengers point of view, but to HKG as an airport and Hong Kong as a city, the cargo continues to remain a major part of the economy, and I daresay that cargo traffic is the reason why CX is pushing so hard for a third runway.
And hence, the option to build a third runway seems to be the most reasonable way to go..

Which one is better though, land reclamation or cut down the mountains on the other side of the airport..
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
And hence, the option to build a third runway seems to be the most reasonable way to go..

Which one is better though, land reclamation or cut down the mountains on the other side of the airport..
QED therein lies the problem – Sha Chau (Sand Island) to the north just happens to be a designated Marine Park and Reserve
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/count...r_des_sha.html
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/count...eco_sclkc.html

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...ciamaps/hk.htm
http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/AIP/ENR/HK_ENR1.5.pdf
in case you want to know which approach route you are on
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:27 am

I'm sure they've thought about this, but um...why don't they build a third and fourth runway ON Lantau Island? Seems like a possible solution to me. Cut the mountains, reclaim some land on the other end of the Island for something, and build a terminal complex and runway perpendicular to the existing airport. People movers from the current T2 to the new terminal area.

There's not a shred of doubt in my mind that HKG needs a third runway and soon. Where they're going to place it is the main question. HKG-Shenzhen train transfer sounds like a good idea but it really is a terrible idea-think about it, you have to cross customs and immigrations AGAIN when you enter Mainland China. So you'd be crossing customs and immigration twice-once at HKG and once when you get off the train. Sounds like a major PITA. That's nothing like Gimpo/Incheon.

Last edited by stupidhead; Jun 27, 2011 at 5:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.