Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX sympathy date change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:49 am
Original Poster

CX sympathy date change

Just wondering if CX will change dates of flights free of charge out of sympathy for compassionate reasons if you need to travel within the next few days (although confirmed ticket is later - ie bring travel days forward in the next few days)? Eg family death, passenger involved in accident abroad and need to return home etc
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: CX DM
Not sure what their actual policy is but they did allow me to change, under circumstances you describe, a few years ago
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:17 am

They did a few years back when I was genuinely worried about my safety in Cebu and asked (or almost begged) if CX can let me fly back a few days early. They did even though it was the cheapest fare class.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jchen87
Just wondering if CX will change dates of flights free of charge out of sympathy for compassionate reasons if you need to travel within the next few days (although confirmed ticket is later - ie bring travel days forward in the next few days)? Eg family death, passenger involved in accident abroad and need to return home etc
If booked thru a TA, they need to sort it out for you. If booked thru cx themselves online, you need to speak to CX res and hope they will abide. But with e-ticketing these days, its very hard to just override. If the computer says no, there is nothing anyone can do .
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:04 am

i just hope CX can let MPO premium members (Gold and Diamond for instance) to waive part of the re-issue or cancellation fee for award tickets
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I had the unfortunate reason of cancelling an award booking two weeks ago due to death of a relative, and MP Club was kind enough to refund miles and cancellation fee, after I've sent them all supporting documents.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:19 am

hi everyone
well to cut a longstory short, i just tried to see if there was anyway to get compassionate grounds for ticket change/cancellation, by calling online booking in UK.

my mother went into hospital before Christmas, and is still not home. my wife was going to take care of my mother while i was in Hong Kong (flying on 8th Jan).
last week my wife caught norovirus, and so i have to stay in UK to look after them both.
I even expressly stated to the Cathay Representative, who was actually very kind and tried her best to sort this out, that i could not fly on 8th.
even today, i feel i have symptons of illness.

i explained all this in detail. Also that i only ever fly Cathay Pacific to HK, and am loyal to them.

so i asked them if i could get compassionate ground for cancellation or change the date. the reply was they do not offer that service, and can't help me.

i will still use them, but can't say i am too impressed with their cancellation policy in extreme circumstances

i even said, that suppose my wife recovered, and i had flown with the symptoms of norovirus and infected the plane that would not be good.
so i said out of respect to the other pasengers that even if i was ok with things at home and able to fly, that i should not.

not to happy as the ticket cost me 1102GBP, and is now for sale less than 1000GBP if i was to fly 4 weeks from now.

How many times can you change a tickets date of travel?

either way, i pay 100GBP to change date, or 200GBP to cancel.
buy new ticket for 1000GPB, and then can change date again.
still only 100GBP out of pocket.

i think the policy is crazy when you think of the reputation CathaY Pacific has over the years for excellent customer service/satisfaction.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay8
hi everyone
well to cut a longstory short, i just tried to see if there was anyway to get compassionate grounds for ticket change/cancellation, by calling online booking in UK.

my mother went into hospital before Christmas, and is still not home. my wife was going to take care of my mother while i was in Hong Kong (flying on 8th Jan).
last week my wife caught norovirus, and so i have to stay in UK to look after them both.
I even expressly stated to the Cathay Representative, who was actually very kind and tried her best to sort this out, that i could not fly on 8th.
even today, i feel i have symptons of illness.

i explained all this in detail. Also that i only ever fly Cathay Pacific to HK, and am loyal to them.

so i asked them if i could get compassionate ground for cancellation or change the date. the reply was they do not offer that service, and can't help me.

i will still use them, but can't say i am too impressed with their cancellation policy in extreme circumstances

i even said, that suppose my wife recovered, and i had flown with the symptoms of norovirus and infected the plane that would not be good.
so i said out of respect to the other pasengers that even if i was ok with things at home and able to fly, that i should not.

not to happy as the ticket cost me 1102GBP, and is now for sale less than 1000GBP if i was to fly 4 weeks from now.

How many times can you change a tickets date of travel?

either way, i pay 100GBP to change date, or 200GBP to cancel.
buy new ticket for 1000GPB, and then can change date again.
still only 100GBP out of pocket.

i think the policy is crazy when you think of the reputation CathaY Pacific has over the years for excellent customer service/satisfaction.
Have u told them u have doctors certificate etc... The LHR team is pretty good and should be able to sort this out
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Have u told them u have doctors certificate etc... The LHR team is pretty good and should be able to sort this out
thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.

yes, i said if i could provide medical history for my mother and wife, i can do that easily. they still said not their policy to do compassionate grounds.

do you think i would have better luck calling HK direct?

interesting, that my Marco Polo number is recognised on the Cathay website, but when i try to enter it over the phone, it says wrong number.

i am not due to flyuntil 6.45pm tmr on Jan 8th. so may give them a call in the morning, see if i get better luck

Last edited by Cathay8; Jan 7, 2013 at 6:39 am Reason: flight time
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i think airlinea compaasionate ground means death of a family member. your situation sounda like illness so travel insurance wud have been the one u needed. either way hope she feela better
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I am not too certain, but I believe the policy of ticket change on medical grounds is only when the traveler is sick.

I do feel family members should also be included, but perhaps situations and relationships can sometimes be too complicated to verify and decide.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
i think airlinea compaasionate ground means death of a family member. your situation sounda like illness so travel insurance wud have been the one u needed. either way hope she feela better
hi fakecd,
thanks for your kind words, i appreciate that
my mother has pneumonia and is on an IV. the hospital has outbreaks of norovirus.
her illness is very serious, they are still not sure how bad.

the problem is, i need to be here when my mother is discharged from hospital. and feel quite ill this afternoon, myself.
not sure it would be a good idea to travel. if i have what my wife has, could be in hospital in HK in 48 hours.

all the best, thanks
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am not too certain, but I believe the policy of ticket change on medical grounds is only when the traveler is sick.

I do feel family members should also be included, but perhaps situations and relationships can sometimes be too complicated to verify and decide.
hi cxfan,
thanks for the input. yeah, it would make sense for everyone directly affected to be included.

personally i don't understand the logic. my wife is ill with norovirus, which is contagious from surfaces. if i have early stages, not a good idea for me to fly.
technically not the same, but when the bird flu was rampant in HK a few years ago, you had temperature checks and everything.

forgetting the reasons for staying in UK right now. even keeping hands clean with norovirus is not easy. i could alcohol wipe them before boarding plane, but walking to your seat, you usually touch seat backs and other parts of the plane. so being sensible it makes more sense not to fly. keep it off the plane.

not sure why they can't see that. unless i am missing something.

cheers, take care
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Cathay8
1. It is not CX's fault not to provide such and such.

2. Not just CX, but almost all airlines in the world do not offer that. (Even some airlines may offer no change fee, but fare difference will apply as well.)

3. There is always fully refundable fare for this issue.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
1. It is not CX's fault not to provide such and such.

2. Not just CX, but almost all airlines in the world do not offer that. (Even some airlines may offer no change fee, but fare difference will apply as well.)

3. There is always fully refundable fare for this issue.
Hi garykung, thanks for your reply.

I will still fly Cathay Pacific in future, that won't change. I still prefer them to all other airlnes. The level of service has always been of a high standard, and the cabin staff make a long flight, a pleasant experience.

the point i was making, that if it is official or unofficial 'policy', or left to discretion of the relevant office or not.
we know from reading this thread some have been lucky, for various reasons on changing with regard to compassionate grounds.
But as others have been told the same as I, that is not the policy to allow this. I feel their should be some clarification.

When it is for a death in family, i can 100% see that is compassionate, and that is sensible. But their seems no standard under this level.

i do know their is some leeway. when my wife flew from HK on CX she missed the plane due to circumstances in China. they said i should have to buy her new ticket, but due to circumstances and someone using her seat they would only charge me rebooking fee for the next flight, which they did.

i appreciate your reply, thanks for the input, take care

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.