Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

JFK-HKG in F, What is the best flight?

Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Hi,

So this is my first time ever flying in First in International, Using American Advantage Award, here are some questions:

1. What flight is best to take, to get the most out of the F Experience JFK - HKG, 9:15AM, 1:55PM, 1AM VIA YVR?

2. I do not eat meat or Chicken, in the regular Cathay F Menu is there a Fish option?. I do not want to Order a special Vegetarian meal as I would like to enjoy the full Cathay meal F experience minus the meat and or Chicken.

Just FYI I will continuing on to SGN for my final destination.

Cheers-

Last edited by ual902; Jan 28, 2011 at 1:50 am
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
This is a much discussed topic. Depends on personal preferences. For me, I don't like the YVR stop. Interrupts the experience. For choosing between the nonstops, the only things which matter for me are managing my severe jetlag, and connections (if any).
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:41 am

For question number 1 - I prefer the 1AM via YVR. You get fed 3 times (Once JFK-YVR and twice YVR-HKG) unlike the usual nonstop you only get fed twice.

For question number 2 - most likely they will have a pasta or grilled fish oprion. Its as good as any other CX meal option IMHO. Since you will be travelling in F, you will get caviar on the YVR-HKG leg and other goodies D only gets.

Hope these answers your questions. Cheers
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by maortega15
For question number 1 - I prefer the 1AM via YVR. You get fed 3 times (Once JFK-YVR and twice YVR-HKG) unlike the usual nonstop you only get fed twice.
But you can pretty much eat as much as you want as often as you want in F.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But you can pretty much eat as much as you want as often as you want in F.
True. But in F, you get 3 full meals on the 889 flight whereas all others, you get 2 full meals and the choices in between are just soup, mini hotpots and such. I'd go for the latter. Also you have more time to expreince the CX service on the 1AM flight. I prefer the 1AM also because of jetlag. Everytime I land in my destination taking the 1AM, I feel more refreshed.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Is the 1am 889 JFK-YVR-HKG have any daylight or sun during the flight? Or this is a full red eye?.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ual902
Is the 1am 889 JFK-YVR-HKG have any daylight or sun during the flight? Or this is a full red eye?.
When you arrive in HKG, it will be morning. But during your flight, there might be some daylight when you cross the international date line. Depends also on your route.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my experiences of taking CX889 for the YVR-HKG sector, daylight in general usually does not breakout until approximately two hours prior to landing. But the last time I did this was in 2006 and throughout the years 889 has had scheduled departures leaving YVR as early as 12:45am and as late as around 3:30am-ish. And once in a while during extensive delay, it has also been known to leave YVR at the crack of daylight.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by maortega15
True. But in F, you get 3 full meals on the 889 flight whereas all others, you get 2 full meals and the choices in between are just soup, mini hotpots and such. I'd go for the latter. Also you have more time to expreince the CX service on the 1AM flight. I prefer the 1AM also because of jetlag. Everytime I land in my destination taking the 1AM, I feel more refreshed.
i am confused by this? i thought that you can eat anything on the menu at any time? to me that means that if i wanted to have the steak, with a side of chicken, with a side of fish, and for it to be repeated 3 times, that i could do that? no?

i am flying F in december and was planning on having a lot of caviar.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ekartash
i am flying F in december and was planning on having a lot of caviar.
I think you would be interested by this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nt-caviar.html
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by ekartash
i am confused by this? i thought that you can eat anything on the menu at any time? to me that means that if i wanted to have the steak, with a side of chicken, with a side of fish, and for it to be repeated 3 times, that i could do that? no?

Subject to availability. They don't load enough food for each pax to have 9 mains.

They load more food, and there will be more variety on the whole menu, on a flight that schedules three meals as opposed to a flight that schedules two meals.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
On a similar note, which flight gets the most daylight?

or is flying HKG-JFK a better option?

I have never liked the idea of flying in the dark.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Daylight really depends on the time of year.

In the summer, the nonstop NYC-HKG flights, which fly the polar route, are (almost?) entirely in daylight. In the winter, the majority of the flight is in darkness. On the HKG-NYC flights, which don't usually go polar (instead typically routing over Japan, across the north pacific and hitting land around SEA/YVR), there will be a period of darkness, the length again dependent on time of year.

When I did JFK-YVR-HKG in June, we did have a fair amount of daylight on the transpacific segment IIRC, although the sun was very low on the horizon. But I did have some good views of the mountains in Alaska.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:38 pm

I am flying cx841 jfk/hkg in F next feb.(2012). The menus I looked at you the menu thread indicate brunch and then lunch. This flight liaves a7 1355. It seems to me it should be lunch and dinner? Anyone flown this lately?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmj9905
I am flying cx841 jfk/hkg in F next feb.(2012). The menus I looked at you the menu thread indicate brunch and then lunch. This flight liaves a7 1355. It seems to me it should be lunch and dinner? Anyone flown this lately?
Just did CX 841 also in Feb 2011, trust me you will be so full midway through the flight that you wont want o look at food anymore.. a brunch in CX F is like 2 full meals..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.