Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't get through to MPC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

1. GR to "club" is as close as smoked salmon roe is to caviar.

2. You're lucky you got J at all. I've been waiting for a year for HKG-SYD

3. if you get to the IVR, and you have a SL number, you get to speak to an operator in a minute at most. but you can't operate your own account (I use my colleague's SL for querying upgrade availability

4. chrisli - yes i've noticed there 1-2pm lull! dunno the reason for this!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I'm changing the title thread as the problem has been resolved with positive results.

Thanks.

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irongloves
OP UPDATE:

I think all Green MPC members are handled through an HK call center (the girl who picked up was clearly from HK). Whenever I call the 800 number or the HK number I always talk with them. Never talked to an "outsourced call center".

All is settled now!

Thanks All for your precious suggestions.
IronGloves
The outsourcing is in Hong Kong. MPC is not handled by Cathay Pacific themselves but through an offshoot in the company. Hence this is their version of 'outsourcing'. They have people located not necssarily all over asia who can speak in several languages. I once thought I was speaking to someone Scottish and was a bit flabbergasted to find out that he's Chinese (but grew up in Scotland).
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Yep, the company running the club call center doesn't care, they know people will be upset at CX, not them. Of course CX do have the option to hire someone else, but doubtful that they will as I don't see another major company able to take over such a major operation.
The company running CX Marco Polo Club Service Centre is PCCW - which holds a big monopoly in the telecom market of Hong Kong. If you've ever been a customer of them, you'll know that they hardly care about Customer Service.

This is a clear sign that the Marco Polo Club Service Centre services are outsourced to PCCW: http://www.jobsdb.com/HK/en/Search/J...00003000374873

Located in Tsuen Wan, PCCW provides a dedicated 24 hours Service Center for a leading international airline. We are now seeking suitable people for the airline’s travel reward and loyalty service to look after members in an efficient, caring and professional manner.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
The company running CX Marco Polo Club Service Centre is PCCW - which holds a big monopoly in the telecom market of Hong Kong. If you've ever been a customer of them, you'll know that they hardly care about Customer Service.

This is a clear sign that the Marco Polo Club Service Centre services are outsourced to PCCW: http://www.jobsdb.com/HK/en/Search/J...00003000374873
The only complaint I have against MPC is that not all of their agents are knowledgeable. It's tiring to talk to someone who I need to explain the rules and regulations to them to be able to help me out, and the frequent: "ok, hold on..." and returning a good 5 minutes later no doubt asking more seasoned agents on what and how to do things.

But overall I guess I'm luck as a GO I didn't experience the long wait time, that is horrific and maybe this is why PCCW is taking ads to hire more people?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:55 am

Update -

In the main menu, you get to choose which language you would like to continue the call in - Cantonese, Putonghua, English, Japanese or Korean. It appears that only Cantonese and English are routed to PCCW outsourcing centre in Hong Kong. For a fact, Putonghua is routed to Beijing (not sure if it's PCCW or not). They are superfast in picking up the call, and highly efficient.

Go figure.... Learn Putonghua, Japanese or Korean if you want to deal with a Hong Kong airline.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zhaobao
Update -

In the main menu, you get to choose which language you would like to continue the call in - Cantonese, Putonghua, English, Japanese or Korean. It appears that only Cantonese and English are routed to PCCW outsourcing centre in Hong Kong. For a fact, Putonghua is routed to Beijing (not sure if it's PCCW or not). They are superfast in picking up the call, and highly efficient.

Go figure.... Learn Putonghua, Japanese or Korean if you want to deal with a Hong Kong airline.
But that's where CX shines above all by offering a range of languages for its customers.

By calling in on the toll free Asiamiles/MPC lines from Europe, you sometimes do get representatives who speak french, spanish, german, italian.. and occasionally proper english !

Go call SQ's res lines. Though fast, they are all routed to India ! At least CX has not outsourced to India (yet). Then we're really in trouble.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But that's where CX shines above all by offering a range of languages for its customers.

By calling in on the toll free Asiamiles/MPC lines from Europe, you sometimes do get representatives who speak french, spanish, german, italian.. and occasionally proper english !

Go call SQ's res lines. Though fast, they are all routed to India ! At least CX has not outsourced to India (yet). Then we're really in trouble.
You know where the calls are routed to if you call the MPC toll free number from Europe ?

Had the "pleasure" of calling SQ lines once. Just randomly chose Putonghua thinking the line would go more quickly. After a while the call was picked up by someone speaking English, who politely said, in English, that all Chinese-speaking agents were engaged. I wonder if that agent was in India. In any case, that agent managed to answer my question on the spot without much delay.

Last edited by zhaobao; Nov 9, 2010 at 11:10 pm
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
You know where the calls are routed to if you call the MPC toll free number from Europe ?

Had the "pleasure" of calling SQ lines once. Just randomly chose Putonghua thinking the line would go more quickly. After a while the call was picked up by someone speaking English, who politely said, in English, that all Chinese-speaking agents were engaged. I wonder if that agent was in India. In any case, that agent managed to answer my question on the spot without much delay.
Same with LH, called HKGRES phone number, selected Cantonese and in the end a Putonghua-speaking agent picked up - presumably from SHARES.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite, CX, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold
Does it really take more than 30 minutes to talk to someone on the MPC hotline?

I had to talk to someone because my booking page is still showing flights which I've already flown...and I have 1 itinerary missing from my list. I had to wait for over 50 minutes to finally talk to someone, wasn't able to do much (I think she was a Mandarin/Cantonese speaking agent) she just assured me that my missing itinerary is on their system and that I could check on it under the non-member option.

Then this morning I needed to rebook a flight so I can get to Singapore at 3pm instead of 6pm. I spent a good 30 minutes calling the MPC hotline and until now I'm still on the queue, does it really take this long?!?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best times to call them is off peak hours, or better still, in the middle of the night, HK time.

Sometimes calling the regular reservations line may be faster especially when its a time change to your reservations in a revenue booking. If its a mileage award ticket, then you do have to call MPC or Asia Miles.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite, CX, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold
The best times to call them is off peak hours, or better still, in the middle of the night, HK time.

Sometimes calling the regular reservations line may be faster especially when its a time change to your reservations in a revenue booking. If its a mileage award ticket, then you do have to call MPC or Asia Miles.
Did that last night...still had to wait 20+ minutes and just gave up. I found the local reservations number and was able to change the ticket in less than 5 minutes ^
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:12 pm

Or 8AM-11PM Mon-Sat and select Mandarin
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
For a fact, Putonghua is routed to Beijing (not sure if it's PCCW or not). They are superfast in picking up the call, and highly efficient.
Mandarin-speaking customers are not always routed to Beijing, as sometimes Hong Kong agents who speak Mandarin do pick up. In addition, the Beijing service centre only operates between 8AM and 11PM, from Monday to Saturday.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Hiring more http://hk.jobsdb.com/hk/en/job/membe...00003003864250

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.