Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Online prices have more than doubled.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN Commodore

Is this a problem with the CX page? A while ago, the Cebu-Lax flights in Y were less than $1000, now they are more than $2,000 although on the home page there are Lax-Cebu flights still for under $1000. Business flights from Cebu to Lax have increased from around $3,000 to more than $8,000.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA,AA,CX,SWA
When are you traveling?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Luckily I purchased my tickets a couple of months ago for travel in April, and got the cheap J prices. But I have tried dummy bookings for different dates, both during summer and before and all flights are expensive. Y class from Cebu to Jakarta has tripled. I wonder if some competition in the P.I. market has disappeared...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
You are right, i have the same problem with online booking, they always give you full fare Y and J, but i called up their local CX office here and they gave me a V class booking, their online booking site here in PI is not so good.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:04 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by david_33
Luckily I purchased my tickets a couple of months ago for travel in April, and got the cheap J prices. But I have tried dummy bookings for different dates, both during summer and before and all flights are expensive. Y class from Cebu to Jakarta has tripled. I wonder if some competition in the P.I. market has disappeared...
Prices across the board have gone up. HKG-SIN S-fare has roughly doubled while HKG-JFK V-fare has gone up by roughly HK$1000.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
I was wondering the same thing too about the price jumping up. I was tracking a flight from NYC to Manila for late June. One week it was about $900 and a couple of days later it was $1472.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I just checked again and Cebu-Lax RT has dropped to $3,800, still $1,000 more than a month ago. But today, the Cebu-Jakarta economy ticket is around $600 MORE than business class.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Originally Posted by david_33
I just checked again and Cebu-Lax RT has dropped to $3,800, still $1,000 more than a month ago. But today, the Cebu-Jakarta economy ticket is around $600 MORE than business class.
Sometimes their website is not very reliable. Call or visit the local CX office here in Cebu and they sell all classes of fare types when available. Lowest CEB-LAX RT in Biz class should cost you around $2,800-$3,200
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: JetBlue, Cathay Pacific, United, Delta, Hertz, Starwood
Had the Same Problem with Booking Taiwan Flight Last Week

it kept showing me available fares of $1200 and $1300 but it wouldn't let me book. Finally allowed me to book a fare of $1800. Thanks Cathay.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:42 pm

business class fare increases

I just look at the fare from YVR /HKG outbound in late October and return in Mid-November, the C fare had gone up to CAD$7,000+ (an increase of $2,000).

Another strange thing was,

The Business standard (CX call them) is more expenses than the Business flexible!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Y'all have to consider (and maybe you are) the originating city or which country's website you're doing the booking. For example, a R/T HKG-NRT J class ticket is 26,000 HK or so, while a R/T NRT-HKG is 418,000 yen. That's almost 1,500 USD more expensive.

And this is not a function of time of year, availability, etc, there's always this horrible spread where NRT originating passengers get the shaft.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
For a contrary example, to LAX no less: I just purchased an ex-TPE round-trip to LAX this summer in J (D subclass) for 86K NT ($2700 USD!!). That's about as cheap as it has ever been.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hmmm... I noticed the same thing too. I was looking to book tickets ex BKK to China PVG (using CX Thailand site) and the fares have gone to 33,000 baht! For economy. On all days under the 'flexible' option. I was looking to travel in August.

I thought it might be due to booking so far out... but maybe it is an error.

Thanks for the advice to call the local CX office. Think I will do that.

Considering this time last year i was getting BUSINESS class for THB17000!! (economy was 13,000).
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
On all days under the 'flexible' option.
The online booking system's screwed sometimes...
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, CX Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by QRC3288
For a contrary example, to LAX no less: I just purchased an ex-TPE round-trip to LAX this summer in J (D subclass) for 86K NT ($2700 USD!!). That's about as cheap as it has ever been.
Buz Class flights Originated from TPE to USA are usually priced USD2500-3500 range, shouldn't be surprised. However, in reverse, USA to TPE usually priced USD$5700-8500.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.