Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles - How to reactivate account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Hello. I hope someone can help me. How do you re-activate an inactive account? Simply check in with your inactive card? Or do you have to reactivate it another way?

I haven't flown Cathay for a 4 years and and when I tried to login with my Asia Miles card it says "membership inactive - call the helpline". I can never get through to the helpline and they haven't returned my calls after I left a message. Given that I have a long haul flight with Qantas soon I would like to reactivate my membership. My miles have expired so should I just apply again, or apply for another programme with Qantas like OneWorld?

Thank you for any advice.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by dastott
Hello. I hope someone can help me. How do you re-activate an inactive account? Simply check in with your inactive card? Or do you have to reactivate it another way?

I haven't flown Cathay for a 4 years and and when I tried to login with my Asia Miles card it says "membership inactive - call the helpline". I can never get through to the helpline and they haven't returned my calls after I left a message. Given that I have a long haul flight with Qantas soon I would like to reactivate my membership. My miles have expired so should I just apply again, or apply for another programme with Qantas like OneWorld?

Thank you for any advice.
if u are departing from HKG, head to the AM desk at the airport. they can reactivate on the spot.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. As I will be flying Japan-Australia with JAL and Qantas I have signed up for JAL Mileage Bank instead.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:45 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dastott
Thank you for the advice. As I will be flying Japan-Australia with JAL and Qantas I have signed up for JAL Mileage Bank instead.
Be aware that with Asia Miles you can redeem for items other than award travel (as well as a relatively large number of airlines participating, not just OW) whereas most other FFPs are limited to only award travel.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It probably does not matter where you park the miles. Many FFP programs will expire the miles in 4 years. So if you do not touch the account again in the next four years, the miles will be gone anyway.

For Asia Miles, miles expire 36 months after they are earned, but at least you can redeem for things other than travel (at a premium "price").

In AAdvantage, at least if you have some activities within 18 months, all miles expiration will be extended to 18 months out from the last activity.

In BAEC, again, if you have some activities within 36 months, all miles expiration will be extended to 36 months out from the last activity.

I am not quite sure about JL, but I think it is also 36 months.

Again, all programs expire the miles if you don't touch them in 4 years.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Both Asia Miles and JMB expire after 36 months. The complicated thing it seems is how one accrues miles travelled on other OneWorld airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.