Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX not giving mileage credit to partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:08 am
Original Poster

I am a OW Sapphire and flew CX several times within the last 12 months. I added my AS # to all bookings and the # was printed on all boarding passes. However, the miles haven't been posted in my AS account, despite my follow up emails (with images of the boarding passes)to AS.

My brother has a similar experience with CX though he banks his miles with BA.

At this point, what can I do? Thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's possible that you flew in non-qualifying fare classes, but probably not because AS seems to give credit for most (unlike AA and BA).

In any event, this topic is much better suited for the AS forum, and you'll presumably get solid feedback after it moves over there.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Following as having the same issue - currently chasing credit for 3 flights (one of which the check-in agent credited to Akasa Air, rather than Alaska ). As Cathay doesn't seem to include ticket numbers in the confirmation email, this is even more tiresome.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by PTY1K
Following as having the same issue - currently chasing credit for 3 flights (one of which the check-in agent credited to Akasa Air, rather than Alaska ). As Cathay doesn't seem to include ticket numbers in the confirmation email, this is even more tiresome.
Cathay sends two emails. One with the confirmation, the next has an attachment which is the eticket with the number.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
I am a OW Sapphire and flew CX several times within the last 12 months. I added my AS # to all bookings and the # was printed on all boarding passes. However, the miles haven't been posted in my AS account, despite my follow up emails (with images of the boarding passes)to AS.

My brother has a similar experience with CX though he banks his miles with BA.

At this point, what can I do? Thank you.
What was the fare booking class?
A broad guide-->
https://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways
https://www.wheretocredit.com/cathay-pacific-airways/l
FF miles for flying an airline and crediting to another airlines ffp's is a commercial agreement between the 2 airlines. Your ffp pays $ to the airlines you fly for those ff miles. Airlines selling ff miles is very profitable.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
FF miles for flying an airline and crediting to another airlines ffp's is a commercial agreement between the 2 airlines. Your ffp pays $ to the airlines you fly for those ff miles. Airlines selling ff miles is very profitable.
This has alway fascinated me. So if I fly CX but I credit to BA, I am actually earning CX additional revenue, correct? Since BA will have to "pay" CX for those miles?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CX HK
This has alway fascinated me. So if I fly CX but I credit to BA, I am actually earning CX additional revenue, correct? Since BA will have to "pay" CX for those miles?
Isn't it the reverse? (CX buys miles from BA using some of the revenue it collected from you.). I haven't really thought about this too much, but I have wondered why some programs are so much stingier than others wrt accrual.

In any event, I remain convinced that Alaska Mileage Plan is where the OP should focus his attention in the instant case. Their rules are well documented, so he merely needs to demonstrate his compliance and compel them to give him credit. Whether or not any money changes hands between CX and Mileage Plan isn't his concern.
jagmeets and CX HK like this.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 17, 2024 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:07 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by CX HK
It's the reverse. Say you flew on an revenue CX fare. Then either

CX 'pays' its Asia Miles, or
CX 'pays' another partner airline.

That's why most of the times you can earn 100% miles on an airline's own FFP, while crediting to another airline might only earn you 25-50% or nil on a partner FFP on cheaper economy fares. Cause CX didn't earn as much revenue from an discounted Y fare for them to worth 'paying' the partner airline.
moondog and CX HK like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:51 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
This is a challenge flying inter Asia on economy with CX and trying to credit to QR.
QR does not give a QR Privilege Club Member points/miles for an economy ticket booked on CX if it is only within Asia :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.