Birthday Upgrade?

Old Jan 18, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BLAHBLAHDELTA
I have a flight on CX booked in Y from HKG to JFK in mid February on by B-Day.

It will be interesting to see if I get the upgrade. I am not holding my breath.

Nothing else, it will be the longest birthday of my life seeing how I leave HKG at 9:30 AM and arrive in NYC at 12:00 PM the same day with a 16 hour flight.

Cheers
I'll be doing the opposite. I leave LAX at 11:50 p.m. on the night before my birthday. I figure I'll cross the dateline sometime around 9 hours later for a very short b'day. I'm also not imagining any upgrades but I got an op-up last year on a flight 3 or 4 days before my birthday.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I am not. Would you recommend that I become a MPC member?

I typically fly Delta if not another Sky Team Member airline.
No, I am not recommending you switch. Birthday upgrade is never guaranteed anyway. However, CX cannot verify your birthday until you fly if you are not a CX member.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:01 pm

Programs: CX DM
I am not. Would you recommend that I become a MPC member?

I typically fly Delta if not another Sky Team Member airline.
The posts on this board suggest that b'day upgrades are an unofficial or semi-offical way of rewarding loyal customers. So if you're not even a MPC member you will definitely not fall into the "loyal customer" group and will not get any such upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I'll be doing the opposite. I leave LAX at 11:50 p.m. on the night before my birthday. I figure I'll cross the dateline sometime around 9 hours later for a very short b'day. I'm also not imagining any upgrades but I got an op-up last year on a flight 3 or 4 days before my birthday.
Alas, that's great on the upgrade, but my suspicion is that it had nothing to do with your special day. Probably more likely it was CX being a good citizen to an OW Emerald during standard op-up procedures.

I've flown CX or KA on the day before or after my birthday 3/4 of those days in the last 2 years, and did not get the upgrade even as a CX DM...and I know at least one of those flights F had only ONE pax! (I was booked in J I think going to JFK). The only time I actually got the upgrade was last year on my actual birthday itself.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: CX MPC SL
Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
Funny, I just did this. Left LAX on the 4th, my birthday was the 5th, and landed in HK on the 6th.

No upgrade for me. I did take a peek and J was full. Either they didn't notice because technically I didn't board on my birthday, or they didn't care enough to let me have it (MPC SL) - I'm guessing SOMEONE probably got upgraded to J because Y was full as well...too bad it wasn't me!

Maybe the birthday upgrade still falls behind gold and diamond upgrades!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by armandov9
Funny, I just did this. Left LAX on the 4th, my birthday was the 5th, and landed in HK on the 6th.

No upgrade for me. I did take a peek and J was full. Either they didn't notice because technically I didn't board on my birthday, or they didn't care enough to let me have it (MPC SL) - I'm guessing SOMEONE probably got upgraded to J because Y was full as well...too bad it wasn't me!

Maybe the birthday upgrade still falls behind gold and diamond upgrades!
Perhaps you could have a better chance if you took 881 instead of 883. Then you would have departed on your birthday.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, SPG GOLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KACommuter
The posts on this board suggest that b'day upgrades are an unofficial or semi-offical way of rewarding loyal customers. So if you're not even a MPC member you will definitely not fall into the "loyal customer" group and will not get any such upgrade.

I agree that I am not a "Loyal Customer". I would not expect an upgrade on an airline that I have never flown.

If for some reason I got it, it would be pretty nice, but I am not holding my breath.

Safe Travels
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
I agree that I am not a "Loyal Customer". I would not expect an upgrade on an airline that I have never flown.

If for some reason I got it, it would be pretty nice, but I am not holding my breath.

Safe Travels
Open your passport to the page where your personal particulars are and put your finger on the Date of Birth section just in case
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95
Open your passport to the page where your personal particulars are and put your finger on the Date of Birth section just in case
or wear this
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:05 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
I have a flight on CX booked in Y from HKG to JFK in mid February on by B-Day.

It will be interesting to see if I get the upgrade. I am not holding my breath.

Nothing else, it will be the longest birthday of my life seeing how I leave HKG at 9:30 AM and arrive in NYC at 12:00 PM the same day with a 16 hour flight.

Cheers
Yes, same story for me, HKG-JFK will provide longest birthday of my life this february!!!!
And longest time spent in a plane as I'm going forward to Miami the same day....
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
im thinking of redeeming a Y class ticket YVR-JFK on my birthday next year, if indeed ill be getting a birthday upgrade, that would tantamount to redeeming Y and getting J. Anyone ever tried this option before?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
im thinking of redeeming a Y class ticket YVR-JFK on my birthday next year, if indeed ill be getting a birthday upgrade, that would tantamount to redeeming Y and getting J. Anyone ever tried this option before?
Not sure if CX grants that benefit to SLs or not.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Rule#1 of op-ups. Never, ever plan for them - it will only lead to disappointment.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
I think it's clear from this forum that birthday upgrades are NOT policy of CX, but merely something that they would or would not do. Please do not act like you're obligated to get an upgrade simply because you're flying out on your birthday.

However, if you do get it, do share, it's nice to know that people are getting op-ups.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, SPG GOLD, Hertz PC
Well I am back from Hong Kong and I was able to get a Birthday Upgrade from Y to J for my flight back to NYC.

The return flight is in the top five flights that I have taken, behind my first Solo and first experience in First.

I found out when I arrived at the airport. The gate agent was supper friendly.

Shortly after I boarded I was greeted by the head Steward in J along with the head Steward for the entire flight. I was greated by name and also wished happy birthday. Several times throughout the flight they asked if there was anything that they could do for me. At that time I was happy to be in a J seat rather than the new sloucher / slider seat in Y.

Shortly before the flight landed I was presented with a card that was signed by a good portion of the crew along with a full bottle of champagne to take home.

Cathay Pacific - Thank you for a nice day.

By the way - I joined the MPC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.