Birthday Upgrade?

Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:14 pm

My inbound flight was on my birthday. They crew didn't know. I did not have MPC, but they knew I was on AM since they told me when they asked me to join a survey. I told the stewardess who was serving drinks it was my birthday and they gave me a box of pralines and a card signed by the staff before I landed.

I was flying on J and did't see of there were any vacant seats on F. But since they didn't know it was my birthday, I am guessing I never had a chance for any upgrades.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by ccyao
My inbound flight was on my birthday. They crew didn't know. I did not have MPC, but they knew I was on AM since they told me when they asked me to join a survey. I told the stewardess who was serving drinks it was my birthday and they gave me a box of pralines and a card signed by the staff before I landed.

I was flying on J and did't see of there were any vacant seats on F. But since they didn't know it was my birthday, I am guessing I never had a chance for any upgrades.
Why should they upgrade you, even if you were not a frequent flyer of their own programm?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: CX
Interestingly I got double op-up Y to J from HKG to JFK two weeks after my birthday a while ago. Also my first birthday after being a MP SL.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Why should they upgrade you, even if you were not a frequent flyer of their own programm?
Isn't that the point of this thread? To check how many get upgraded on their birthday.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by ccyao
Isn't that the point of this thread? To check how many get upgraded on their birthday.
But you're not a member of MPO
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
Originally Posted by alphaod
But you're not a member of MPO
Not an 'elite' member of MPO, let alone not a member.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
Was upgraded from Y+ to J on my birthday flight to HKG in late January. Better still, my traveling companion was also upgraded at the same time! ^

Cabin crew also gave me a signed birthday card before landing - a really nice touch!

Last edited by karaokequeen3; Feb 4, 2015 at 3:06 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I've come to the conclusion that we FTers on the CX forum know more than ordinary sales representative of CX in the USA.

I was trying to get the sales team to put a remark on a client's PNR due to his missing an op up on his birthday as the original flight was changed and to unusual circumstance that a consideration be put in place. The sales team came back and said CX Marketing Dept does not op up DM members on their birthdays and that they will only receive a gift.

CX Sales Reps know nothing about true loyalties of their passengers. Even cabin crew have more feelings towards the wellbeing of their passengers. That is why the management of CX is losing the plot really of how to please their customers.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 19, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:45 pm

Flew from HKG to ICN last year on my birthday on econ, was member of MPC but at a lowly pleb level. Flew with CX 3 times a year for past 2 years.

Zero f's or acknowledgment were given.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Flew on my birthday earlier this week. Warm birthday wishes at check in and advised I'd been upgraded. Warm birthday wishes from the cabin crew, a birthday card and my choice of a bottle of champagne or wine or a box of chocolates were offered. I firmly believe it depends entirely on the mood of both the ground staff and cabin crew. Flew on my birthday two years ago and received absolutely zero acknowledgement from anyone.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I was trying to get the sales team to put a remark on a client's PNR due to his missing an op up on his birthday as the original flight was changed and to unusual circumstance that a consideration be put in place. The sales team came back and said CX Marketing Dept does not op up DM members on their birthdays and that they will only receive a gift.
I disagree with this approach. Birthday op-up is a nice benefit but if for some reason the travel on birthday doesn't work out I wouldn't expect the birthday upgrade to carry over to some other date, nor would I ask for it.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by midlevels
I disagree with this approach. Birthday op-up is a nice benefit but if for some reason the travel on birthday doesn't work out I wouldn't expect the birthday upgrade to carry over to some other date, nor would I ask for it.
It is when the passenger asks for it. I'm not the passenger in this case but the TA.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
They tore up my HKG-TPE BP (without a word) and gave me a new stub at the gate, went from C to F with a warm b-day greeting from FA. This was a few years back.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:50 pm

There are two types of op-ups that airlines should realize.

1) Those idiotic loud mouths that demands an op-up everytime they check in, because they are either semi-famous (a famed director in Taiwan is notorious for demanding op-up everytime he flies), they are some elite member of a program that thinks everyone should kowtow to him, or, they just realized arguing works sometimes and when it works its his gain.

2) Op-ups presented as a gift that motivates people to stay with your airline. These are op-ups that just made FF feel special, and rewarded, for their loyalty and love for the airline. When done right it "steals" would-be FF from other airlines into your own.

I'm all for airline cracking down on 1), and stop appeasing to loud mouths and just tell them NO; however, airlines should also not be stingy on 2) (when done right), and realize this is why people gravitate towards you and sticks with you. Things like birthday upgrades, anniversary upgrades, operational oversold upgrades, milestone upgrades, are good ways to keep loyalty from FF.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
My birthday was yesterday (23 March), this is what I experienced on my two flights:

1. Dhaka - HKG on KA191:
- birthday wishes plus a signed card and a box of chocolates from the KA ground services team at the airport (it is a small team and they know me well)
- no greetings etc. on board (and I was already in J, so no upgrade was possible on this flight)

2. HKG - BJS on KA908:
- I was booked in J, but a boarding card for F was already printed and waiting for me at the gate, was wished happy birthday by the agent;
- no greetings etc. on board

What happens is indeed very much hit or miss (probably a good thing actually)...last year I was given a signed card and chocolates on CX347 from BJS - HKG on my birthday, plus the J cabin crew came to my seat and sang "Happy Birthday to You" to me !!

Last edited by DernierVirage; Mar 24, 2015 at 6:05 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.