Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:22 am

Programs: BR Diamond, ROP Gold, CX Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was given an op-up from Y to J on a rather empty 77A from HKG to SIN on my birthday back in October, along with my partner. The check-in agent did not say anything at all and just gave us the boarding passes. There is no "I" on the boarding pass so I guess the system automatically processed that or some kind soul from CX office manually processed that prior to the flight. Mid-flight, the inflight manager and the senior purser invited both of us to the empty F cabin, drew the curtain and presented to me a bottle of champagne and a box of CX chocolate as birthday gift, while wishing me happy birthday. Very very kind gesture. Best thing is I was booked on the non-mileage accruable fare as part of the CXholiday package.

Last year I travelled on the day after my birthday from SYD to HKG. No op-up but the senior purser in Y cabin gave me a box of CX chocolate and wish me happy belated birthday, while saying hi to me as a GO member (together with a bottle of Evian).
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Originally Posted by flyerfly
Last year I travelled on the day after my birthday from SYD to HKG. No op-up but the senior purser in Y cabin gave me a box of CX chocolate and wish me happy belated birthday, while saying hi to me as a GO member (together with a bottle of Evian).
CX surely knows how to treat their loyal customers Im not expecting anything for this upcoming trip, but it would great to get both the op-up and a box of chocolate though
Old Dec 7, 2009, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
CX surely knows how to treat their loyal customers Im not expecting anything for this upcoming trip, but it would great to get both the op-up and a box of chocolate though
Heh heh, I'm hoping I will get send away on a project around my birthday, lol
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Im sitting now at the CX YVR lounge while waiting for my flight to HKG on CX 889, no birthday upgrade and flight is about 85% full so no op-ups according to the First Class Check-in counter who checked me in, but she said anything could happen last minute and "just keep our fingers crossed", which i am doing right now no expectations though, im seated at 31K which i think is the best seat in Y for a B777
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
MikeInSIN, a MPC green member (once Gold) booked CX from SIN to BKK on his birthday. CX check-in in SIN said no way you're getting an upgrade even though we know that its your birthday. "No such policy, and if you want upgrade, you gotta pay".

He was disappointed.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
MikeInSIN, a MPC green member (once Gold) booked CX from SIN to BKK on his birthday. CX check-in in SIN said no way you're getting an upgrade even though we know that its your birthday. "No such policy, and if you want upgrade, you gotta pay".

He was disappointed.
Well, it's an unpublished benefit meaning they can deny you anytime. I take what others here say to be honest (why would people come in here and lie about stuff?), however, doesn't surprise me when people are turned down.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
"No such policy, and if you want upgrade, you gotta pay".
I think the following is probably closer to the truth:

If the flight is overbooked and its your birthday, you're bumped up in priority for receiving an upgrade. Some of my family members (SL at the time) have been op-up on their birthday before, also ex-SIN.

Perhaps this unpublished benefit applies to elite tier members only and not GR members.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Just got back from my trip and no upgrades on all the legs, if i counted it right, flight was only 70% full in this peak season, i saw a lot of Gold's and DM's personally greeted by the ISM on both legs in Y and handed a bottle of evian and given their food trays first, with this, i guess no op-ups on both segments, and check-in staff in YVR told me there is no birthday upgrade option, just operational upgrade when the flights are overbooked
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As with all upgrades, my view is that asking for it dramatically reduces your chance of getting it.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by christep
As with all upgrades, my view is that asking for it dramatically reduces your chance of getting it.
There's some truth to this. I read a thread in UA (I didn't post it here because it's not CX) forum that an ex-UA agent tells all the "secrets" of upgrades. (Google upgrade and UA and you will get the thread fairly easily), here's a quick summary (he typed a lot of stuff):

1) Yes, "normally" it's based on status

2) Yes, (this I'm surprise, not sure if CX is the same) gate agents HAS THE POWER to decide who to upgrade or not to upgrade, including bumping people off the upgrade list and adding another person

3) Yes, the gate agents have heard it all and HATES IT when you try to charm them, argue with them, asking them, telling them, into giving you an upgrade.

4) Yes, many upgrades happens in the last minute and is done manually and sometimes because of time (say 5-15 minutes before take off) they will just upgrade whoever they picked off the passenger list (normally the staff tries to find the highest tier, but sometimes in the rush they don't really care)

Again take this with a grain of salt because this is UA agent, not CX.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
There's some truth to this. I read a thread in UA (I didn't post it here because it's not CX) forum that an ex-UA agent tells all the "secrets" of upgrades. (Google upgrade and UA and you will get the thread fairly easily), here's a quick summary (he typed a lot of stuff):

1) Yes, "normally" it's based on status

2) Yes, (this I'm surprise, not sure if CX is the same) gate agents HAS THE POWER to decide who to upgrade or not to upgrade, including bumping people off the upgrade list and adding another person

3) Yes, the gate agents have heard it all and HATES IT when you try to charm them, argue with them, asking them, telling them, into giving you an upgrade.

4) Yes, many upgrades happens in the last minute and is done manually and sometimes because of time (say 5-15 minutes before take off) they will just upgrade whoever they picked off the passenger list (normally the staff tries to find the highest tier, but sometimes in the rush they don't really care)

Again take this with a grain of salt because this is UA agent, not CX.
Oh, that thread again, basically all UA elites know about it. There's also a prewritten "op-up speech".
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I have received a Y-J birthday upgrade PEK-HKG on KA on a flight that absolutely was not overbooked in Y. I specifically asked the ISM and confirmed by walking back to Y to see myself, it was ~50-60%...I was curious myself if it was actually a gimmick or I really got an op-up when my booking class wasn't full.

Also, boarding pass did not have the usual "I" for op-ups. Can't remember now, should've saved it, but it was definitely not "I" because I noted that to myself when I looked at it. It seemed already set in stone when I arrived at the airport, because when I arrived at check-in the lady at the far left who does the OLCI bag check called out "Happy Birthday!" before I had even approached the desk. (I travel to PEK frequently enough where the staff there recognizes me, and fyi for CX/KA PEK travelers the people who sit at the far-left OLCI bag check are actually the on-duty managers there, very convenient for seat blocks since the rest of the staff usually must call down to the left side anyway for approval....skip the F or J line, the OLCI bag check person is almost always far more efficient). By the time the three seconds had elapsed when I walked up to the desk, she already handed me my new boarding pass and told me I was in J for my birthday.

Maybe it's just for DMs or GOs? If I were CX I wouldn't afford that to GRs or SLs either, SL is already an excellent low-level status with great J lounge access in HKG and priority tags. GR is good since you can board early just for basically just being in the club. I don't think those two levels need more perks. Either way, the gesture was not lost on me I certainly appreciated it.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, SPG GOLD, Hertz PC
I have a flight on CX booked in Y from HKG to JFK in mid February on by B-Day.

It will be interesting to see if I get the upgrade. I am not holding my breath.

Nothing else, it will be the longest birthday of my life seeing how I leave HKG at 9:30 AM and arrive in NYC at 12:00 PM the same day with a 16 hour flight.

Cheers
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by BLAHBLAHDELTA
I have a flight on CX booked in Y from HKG to JFK in mid February on by B-Day.

It will be interesting to see if I get the upgrade. I am not holding my breath.

Nothing else, it will be the longest birthday of my life seeing how I leave HKG at 9:30 AM and arrive in NYC at 12:00 PM the same day with a 16 hour flight.

Cheers
Are you a MPC member?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, SPG GOLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Are you a MPC member?
I am not. Would you recommend that I become a MPC member?

I typically fly Delta if not another Sky Team Member airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.