Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Any reviews on the newly opened Radisson Blu in St Martin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I think the resort just opened for Christmas 2008.

Has anyone stayed there?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Any updates on this property? Upgrades, facilities, etc
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Any updates on this property? Upgrades, facilities, etc
It's open again.

The transport from the airport to the hotel costs a heft 45 € for the taxi or 60 $ for the water shuttle.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:44 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan

The transport from the airport to the hotel costs a heft 45 € for the taxi or 60 $ for the water shuttle.
arriving by water is a fantastic experience, Venice, Hayman Island are just two of the very worthwhile water arrivals I've experienced. Usually worth the price of admission in my book but to each their own.

I'd personally rent a car as I despise dining at a resort for each meal, especially on an island like St Marten/Sint Maarten.

With latest buy 1 get 1 promo, I'm interested in any reveiws.

We honeymooned on St Martin/Sint Maarten a LONG time ago, stayed at the Dawn Beach Hotel which is now a Westin IIRC.

The Radisson property is at the very far north end of the island (french side), which isn't a bad thing but I could see going to dinner in Philipsburg being a long drive. (got to go to Wajang Doll for dinner when on the island!!^)

PS: Can Blu please be added to the thread title as the property is a Radisson Blu
www.radissonblu.com/resort-stmartin
--
-

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Oct 16, 2012 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: spg gold
Just got back from St Maarten, it was awesome. Check in took 2 mins,free welcome drink,free wifi, and free buffet bfst. Beach at the Blu was really great, and the meals were all very good . Two restaurants on property and three across the street.Staff was friendly and helpful.I can't wait to go back. This was my 7th visit to St Maarten and I will be going back to the Radisson from now on.Please PM any other questions.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:27 am

glad you had a good time, a few follow up questions to your stay
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
Beach at the Blu was really great..
how so? (for swimming, snorkeling, beauty, &/or not crowded, walking, etc, etc)
Two restaurants on property and three across the street.
what type(s) of cuisine were the restaurants across the street?

The resort is in a remote part of the island, did you rent a car?
If not, do you feel one is needed? If you did rent, how much was parking?
--
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
what type(s) of cuisine were the restaurants across the street?

The resort is in a remote part of the island, did you rent a car?
If not, do you feel one is needed? If you did rent, how much was parking?
--
Yes, I rented a car and and you will need one. One was Italian,seafood,and pizza. Only ten min drive to Grand Case for some great dining.
NO RESORT FEES.NO PARKING FEES and Free Bfst buffet with cooked to order eggs.The bfst is worth 50.00 per person per day. Free WiFi
I alway rent my car at Budget in St Maarten 5 days 120.00
The beach- great sand,nice for swimming,free lounge chairs, clear water and a Tiki Bar
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The beach- great sand,nice for swimming,free lounge chairs, clear water and a Tiki Bar
Mmmmmm Tiki bar.

Why does that word always make me thing of the Brady Bunch.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:26 pm

Just got back from St Maarten, it was awesome. Check in took 2 mins,free welcome drink,free wifi, and free buffet bfst.
Is the breakfast buffet free when one is using an award stay?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:52 pm

Yes, I was there on an award stay.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I booked an award stay there, and in my reservation, I see this:

Hotel Alerts

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THERE IS A 15 EURO PER ROOM PER DAY RESORT FEE
THE HOTEL ONLY ACCEPTS VISA, MASTERCARD AND AMERICAN EXPRESS AT THE HOTEL GUESTS CAN PAY IN US DOLLARS WITH VISA AND MASTERCARD ONLY. AMERICAN EXPRESS CAN ONLY BE ACCEPTED IN EUROS
KID'S AGES ARE 0-12; GUESTS 13 & UP PAY 40 EUROS PER NIGHT CHILDREN AGES 0-12, ARE FREE IN ROOM WHEN SHARING WITH ADULTS GUESTS 13 YEARS OLD & UP ARE ADULTS AND PAY 40 EUROS PER NIGHT THE 40 EUROS PER NIGHT INCLUDES BUFFET BREAKFAST
RATES INCLUDE BUFFET BREAKFAST FOR 2 ADULTS DAILY KIDS 0-4 YRS OLD EAT FREE FOR BREAKFAST, BUFFETS & KIDS MENU KIDS 5-12 YRS OLD GET 50% OFF ON BUFFET OR KIDS MENU GUESTS 13 YRS AND OVER PAY 40 EUROS/NIGHT INCL. BRKFST BUFFET
I'm a little concerned; first of all, there's a resort fee (above it says there is none, so perhaps they've instituted one), and what's the 40eur/pp about? I imagine that that's an "extra guest fee", but if that's the case, this is poorly worded
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
As with some vacation places, rates can be based on double occupancy. So they are basically trying to say anyone over 12 is an adult for calculation of an additional person in the room. And that supplement includes the rate for breakfast.

Additional person rate is 40 EUROS per day and applies to anyone 13 years of age and older.

And yes, the website says a 15 Euro resort fee and shows up in fees when doing a sample booking. Does not seem too bad considering some others I have seen.

I've been looking at this place too for 2014 vacation. I just wish flights weren't so expensive when I needed them (school holiday weeks of course).

Question for the person who stayed there:

1) I read somewhere (TA?) that you could rent a refrigerator for 20 Euro for the week ?

2) Is the concierge any good with booking snorkelling trips, dinner reservations, etc ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
And yes, the website says a 15 Euro resort fee and shows up in fees when doing a sample booking. Does not seem too bad considering some others I have seen.
Agree, definitely reasonable, just curious to hear that the previous poster wasn't charged a resort fee.

Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
2) Is the concierge any good with booking snorkelling trips, dinner reservations, etc ?
Having been to St. Martin nearly a dozen times now, I can recommend, without reservation, Captain Alan's snorkeling tours: www.captainalan.com/

I've gone with them four or five times now, and they're fantastic, far better than any of the others I've tried on the island. You can book on their website in advance, and they can arrange transport from the hotel.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:32 am

We stayed here earlier this month and had a great time. It was our first time trying the Radisson (we usually stay at the Westin), which we only did because of the newly available credit card. We booked 2 award nights (2nd night free), then a paid night, then two nights elsewhere, and then 2 more award nights (2nd night free).

Overall - this is a fantastic hotel/resort with a location that we found very convenient. I will not look at the Westin anymore when returning to SXM.

As mentioned, we obtained the Club Carlson credit card, and the accompanying gold status. This got us upgraded to a Marina Suite for both stays. the Marina Suites are a bit of a walk from the beach and the restaurant. The resort is large, but somehow manages to feel small since they didn't pour concrete over every square foot of the property.

The beach is large and the pool/beach staff were all very nice and helpful. The beach area never felt crowded, and we never had any issue finding lounge chairs. If you want a lounge chair on the beach, the staff will set one up for you. I want to reiterate how nice this is, especially since the Westin does a very poor job with lounge chair inventory management. When I'm at a resort, I do not want to have any problem getting a lounge chair.

Breakfast is included for all guests here, and included a nice spread. Though it was nothing too exciting it was certainly a great benefit.

The resort fee was waived on our second stay for some reason. But the normal amount is reasonable (we can leave the "should resort fees be legal" debate for other threads).

Most of the staff was wonderful - the front desk staff, the housekeepers, and the bellboys were top notch. The only exception was the staff in the restaurants - they just didn't seem very happy or welcoming. But everyone else on the property was great.

We found the location very convenient. One needs a car here (don't use National), but you're only a 10 minute drive from Grand Case, which has some of the best food in the Caribbean (bring dollars).

All in all - this was a wonderful stay and I hope that this resort remains this good for a long time.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
We found the location very convenient. One needs a car here (don't use National), but you're only a 10 minute drive from Grand Case...
besides Grand Case, any other destinations convenient to the resort?

Also, why (don't use National)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.