Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration date of CC points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Expiration date of CC points

My dear wife has a small (but not entirely worthless) number of Club Carlson points. On their website, her account shows the expiration date as "2/2017".

Anybody here know if that means the points expire on 02/01/2017, or 02/28/2017 (or some impossible-to-predict date in between)?

(FWIW, she no longer has the CC credit card, so she can't just go buy a Starbucks to keep the points from expiring.)

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
My dear wife has a small (but not entirely worthless) number of Club Carlson points. On their website, her account shows the expiration date as "2/2017".

Anybody here know if that means the points expire on 02/01/2017, or 02/28/2017 (or some impossible-to-predict date in between)?

(FWIW, she no longer has the CC credit card, so she can't just go buy a Starbucks to keep the points from expiring.)

Thanks.
02/01 or 02/28 makes no difference. Most likely is 02/28, but I can't say for certain. The question you should concern with is determining if it is worth it for you to keep the points or let it expire on its own. You can buy points on CC to keep it going, I think it is 1000 pts for about $11, or, do you have your own CC account? Carlson allows for free points transfer within accounts, she could call and transfer her points to your account, that will count as an activity and extend the points expiration in your account. If the pts is sufficient to book a room, why not plan for a one day getaway. As for the credit card, she could have downgraded it to the NO FEE card, which could have helped in this case. A lot of people did that when CC eliminated the free night perk that came with the card when using pts for stay.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by arollins
02/01 or 02/28 makes no difference. Most likely is 02/28, but I can't say for certain. The question you should concern with is determining if it is worth it for you to keep the points or let it expire on its own. You can buy points on CC to keep it going, I think it is 1000 pts for about $11, or, do you have your own CC account? Carlson allows for free points transfer within accounts, she could call and transfer her points to your account, that will count as an activity and extend the points expiration in your account. If the pts is sufficient to book a room, why not plan for a one day getaway. As for the credit card, she could have downgraded it to the NO FEE card, which could have helped in this case. A lot of people did that when CC eliminated the free night perk that came with the card when using pts for stay.
Thanks, good info.

FWIW, yes, we have determined that we think it's worthwhile (up to a point, of course) to extend the life of the points so they can be used later.

I was wondering about buying points but assumed that would require a larger investment (just found the link on their website - it's a little buried - 1000 points costs just $7, so that's easy enough).

I also hadn't realized that points can be transferred - although I can't find a link for that.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks, good info.

FWIW, yes, we have determined that we think it's worthwhile (up to a point, of course) to extend the life of the points so they can be used later.

I was wondering about buying points but assumed that would require a larger investment (just found the link on their website - it's a little buried - 1000 points costs just $7, so that's easy enough).

I also hadn't realized that points can be transferred - although I can't find a link for that.

Thanks for the help.
she needs to call Carlson to request the transfer of points. This is not something you do online.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
IIRC transferring points does not extend the expiry. So if she transfers everything to your account, all the points will expire at your expiry date.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:05 pm

Thanks.
Where do you see expiration on the website?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Aren't you mixing status expiration date with point expiration date?

The status of a given year is valid until February of the next year.

CC points expire after two years without activity. A simple search for the account transactions (website now apparently only shows last two years) should do.

A simple $7 1,000 point purchase is enough to keep them alive.

Expiration of Gold Points and Termination of Membership:

Expiration of Gold Points: If there is no Gold Points activity in your Club Carlson account for any 24-month period, we may, at any time and in our sole discretion and without notice or liability to you, void and cancel any or all of your Gold Points.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by murilix
...Expiration of Gold Points: If there is no Gold Points activity in your Club Carlson account for any 24-month period, we may, at any time and in our sole discretion and without notice or liability to you, void and cancel any or all of your Gold Points.
Over in this thread we discussed booking and cancelling an award to reset points expiration. Worked for me.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Would buying a cup of coffee at a Club Carlson hotel be sufficient to extend the expiration date?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by protagonist
Would buying a cup of coffee at a Club Carlson hotel be sufficient to extend the expiration date?
If the scenario you're positing is walking in off the street, registering your GP number and buying a cup of coffee...

It should BUT if ever the saying, "Many's the slip 'twixt cup and lip" applies, it's here. The path to credit involves key human intervention, which isn't dependable. One could find oneself precariously chasing the points when time is of the essence.

You're probably going to spend ~ $3 on a coffee. A thousand points is $7...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:52 am

Very good point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.