Wiki Posts
Search

Auto Convert unwanted transfer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Auto Convert unwanted transfer

Hello,

I am new on here, but hopefully someone can help me with a problem I now have from a recent transfer.
In all honesty I do not use Club Carlson very much as I do not travel as much as I used to, but I have a family event coming up in Ireland over Christmas and I needed a place to stay for me and my family.

Therefore a transferred over 44,000 American Express points to my Club Carlson account for 132,000 CC points. Given that my CC account had laid dormant for some time, and perhaps naively on my part, I had no idea that my account was set to auto convert to my British Airways airmiles account at the rather miserly ration of 10:1, so after all that I am left with 13,000 BA miles, which are worthless to me, and only 2000 CC points left in my account, which are also rather worthless!

I noticed the CC points leave my account on the day it happened as I had been checking daily so I could make the hotel reservation early. I called up Customer services and asked for the transaction to be cancelled but was told this was not possible. I called BA customer services and was told the same thing. I also called up Amex and they said there is nothing they can do.

I did look at my CC account and the auto convert setting seemed to be a default and I couldn't uncheck it anyway. I certainly don't recall my points auto converting in the past.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I haven't had the courage to tell the missus yet and I know she's going to kill me!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by SuperHans
Any advice would be much appreciated as I haven't had the courage to tell the missus yet and I know she's going to kill me!
Sorry, but there is no way to get the points reinstated at either AA or ClubCarlson. Expensive lesson...

Btw. Welcome to FT.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Very expensive lesson.

Unfortunately you found Flyertalk after having made the mistake. Beforehand you might have found out about the auto-convert issue.

It's not just CC, pretty much any conversion from one kind of point to another cannot be reversed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.