Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Annual CC Free Night Certificate--11 or 12 months? Am I Being Cheated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

I signed up for the CC US Bank card Feb 20, 2015. One of the benefits is "earn one free night when you charge $10,000 then renew your Card."

I was close to the spending threshold, so I made sure I spent $10k on the card by Feb 16, 2016, a few days early. The Feb 2016 statement was my 12th statement, and shows enough spending to meet the criteria. I paid the $75 renewal fee in March 2016.

US Bank is saying I didn't meet the qualifications--I had to meet the spending requirement by January 20th 2016, not by Feb 20th. This means I only had 11 months (& 11 billing cycles) to meet the requirement for the first year.

The fine print is :

One Club CarlsonSM Visa® Reward Card Free Night E-Certificate (“E-Cert”) is available per Account if you charged US $10,000 or more in Net Purchases (purchases minus credits and returns) on the Account during the 12-month statement cycle period immediately prior to the annual anniversary of your Account opening date

I feel like I was cheated here? Anyone else have this issue? Am I missing something here?
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

From my understanding of what they told me, the first year you only get 11 billing cycles that count towards the $10k requirement, even though the fine print states "12-month statement cycle period". They count your 12th billing statement the 1st for year 2.

This seems completely misleading.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
File a complaint with CFPB.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

I posted a complaint with the CFPB & BBB. US Bank responded without apology stating plainly that I didn't meet the criteria. They didn't respond to my main complaint that they are only counting 11 months instead of 12 months of charges.

Both cases (BBB & CFPB were closed with no resolution.)

This is so frustrating. Their advertising is clearly misleading and they refuse to deal with it.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I agree with you, but this benefit did not exist during my first year of cardmembership. (Dec. 2012--13.)
BTW, I got an e-cert in Feb. 2016, but I probably will cancel the card this Dec. to avoid the AF, because Carlson has too few juicy properties in the USA, so I'll be ineligible in Feb. 2017 .
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by amberailene
I posted a complaint with the CFPB & BBB. US Bank responded without apology stating plainly that I didn't meet the criteria. They didn't respond to my main complaint that they are only counting 11 months instead of 12 months of charges.

Both cases (BBB & CFPB were closed with no resolution.)

This is so frustrating. Their advertising is clearly misleading and they refuse to deal with it.
Unfortunate, and yes this is how USBank operates. I am surprised that after CFPB they did not offer you anything.

I think that the system cheated you of time since the cut off date is the statement close date before the fee gets charged. First year it is 11 months, then rolling.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Unfortunate, and yes this is how USBank operates. I am surprised that after CFPB they did not offer you anything.

I think that the system cheated you of time since the cut off date is the statement close date before the fee gets charged. First year it is 11 months, then rolling.
I'm was surprised as well. I only received a vague response without any explanation other than "you didn't meet the requirements". In my last correspondence with them I respectfully requested an explanation, but they have refused to provide one.

In their response they also said that any future inquires/correspondence from me on the matter will be ignored and not be responded to. I've never been treated this way by any company.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:46 am

Did you ever get this resolved, amberailene? I spent almost half of the $10k spend for the certificate in mid-November 2016 and my annual fee posted in December 2016. I paid the annual fee the same month. The 40k annual points posted with this month's statement but after reading your thread I thought I was SOL on the free night cert. Instead, the cert just posted (a week after the 40k points).
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swazzie
Did you ever get this resolved, amberailene? I spent almost half of the $10k spend for the certificate in mid-November 2016 and my annual fee posted in December 2016. I paid the annual fee the same month. The 40k annual points posted with this month's statement but after reading your thread I thought I was SOL on the free night cert. Instead, the cert just posted (a week after the 40k points).
I was in similar situation. My anniversary month is Dec. Fee billed in Dec and I paid it on 12/30. 40K showing as pending, but I got an email on the E-Cert info on 02/10/17 before statement closing tonight on 02/17. I saw the 40K pending several weeks ago.

OTOH my husband met his spend back in 09/16. His anniversary is Jan 2017. Fee billed in Jan and I paid it the following week. His next statement is in March. The 40K has not shown up yet, not even in pending. Of course he hasn't gotten any email on the cert. However we did verify with US Bank in Oct 2016 on his spend status and was told he had spent over $10K on 09/16 so he should get his bonus cert if no return made to reduce the spend amount. (None).
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swazzie
No this was never resolved. US Bank was never able to provide an explanation and told me that they would ignore any future correspondence on the issue.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.