Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Royal Hotel Copenhagen - Reviews and F&F rate issues

Royal Hotel Copenhagen - Reviews and F&F rate issues

Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hotels can't legally do whatever they want when it comes to legal contracts and other legal obligations.

Brand-owning hotel companies don't always choose to "read [the hotel property] the riot act" even when the hotel property violates a legal obligation that comes under the contracts between the hotel property owner/manager and brand owner. They know where their bread and butter comes from.

I find it interesting that some people assume they are dealing with a liar even in the absence of proof of such on this matter.

What is it that makes someone like this hotel and its FOM so that they take sides no matter what against the OP for being critical of the hotel/FOM for the rude approach directed at hotel customer that even interrupted the vacation of a professional colleague who works elsewhere?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
If OP's legal name is "Harry Simmons" but is known to most, including his F&F benefactor as "Skip Simmons" it is still somewhat over-the-top suspicious that when contacted by one's employer to verify the legitimacy of the use of the rate, that one does not draw the connection between "Harry" and "Skip".

After all, just how many "Simmons" has one authorized to travel on F&F to a specific property in a specific city overseas on a specific weekend who share the same last name?

Whatever the relationship between OP and the property, the benefactor and Kim are co-workers after a fashion and there are presumably consequences for the benefactor in all of this if it is not above board.
"Presumably consequences for the benefactor"? Scare-mongering as usual.

About the name issue:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of people don't know all of their friends' full legal names. Who goes around telling their friends: "I need your full name as recorded on government issued ID before we can be considered friends."?

Plenty of people even have cousins whose legal name as issued on government-issued ID is unknown amongst some or all of the person's other cousins. It's really not beyond the realm of normal of being friends or even relatives with some people without requiring presentation of ID.

"Oh, you're a school friend of Barry Soetero (sic)? You knew him back when he had a cool gibbon at home?" "No, I don't know any Barry Sotero, but I did go to school with an Obama who said he had a gibbon around his house as a kid there."
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended

never mind

Last edited by craz; Aug 11, 2016 at 1:57 pm Reason: the OP did contact corp I missed that somehow
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
I guess you subscribe to,"It must be true I read it on the internet".
Wrong guess.

I dont believe I called the OP a liar, I just dont think from the way they laid things out that they are a real friend of the employee. Probably due to what I would have done had I been the OP, if it meant that much to me to stay at that hotel I would have contacted my friend apologize and ask them to please contact the hotel.If they werent areal friend then I wouldnt have done that.But at least I would have contacted corp and complained that I was denied use of F&F which I was 100% entitled to be using. I wouldnt have complained on FT and and not followed thru with my friend or corp.

Now that the weekend is over has the OP contacted his friend and have the friend complain both to the hotel and corp for the way their friend was treated. I would assume not otherwise the OP would have posted such and the results of what happened.

I guess we can debate what a 'friend' means, I wonder what CC considers it to be.

But its hard to believe that both the OP and their friend, wont pursue this matter, or could be they are and will post something when they have the results in hand. But again I have my doubts since Im sure the OP would have posted my friend is taking this up the ladder and I will let you know how it ends
You presuppose things as going the way you would do them maybe if entitled to the rate (which you said you were not entitled to use?). But in the real world the diverse course of actions within the range of normal also include not doing all as you would do -- even for those of us entitled to use the rate.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:52 am
Suspended

never mind

Last edited by craz; Aug 11, 2016 at 1:59 pm Reason: missed that the OP did contact corp
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

Mr S__ K__, the hotel front desk manager, isn't likely to be "put in his place" for even well deserved customer complaints. He's hard to get meaningfully disciplined -- or even terminated -- from employment at this hotel.

But if wanting to push a string, if in such situation where entitled to the rate, your choice. Just don't expect it to be very fruitful in terms of a timely resolution in your favor.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:58 am
Suspended

never mind

Last edited by craz; Aug 11, 2016 at 2:00 pm Reason: missed that the OP{ did contact corp
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:51 pm
Suspended

If you were the OP and was 100% entitled to use F&F would you just walk away? or would you do as I have and would in this case and go corp?
People have different priorities when it comes to how -- or for how long -- to deal with a wrongful denial of benefits/performance or to beat a dead horse.

I've been faced with some very obnoxious hotel employee attitudes at times; but I don't have the time or interest to always pursue such incidents up and up and up -- not even when I've got the facts recorded on my side and even have available to me personal contact with upper management personnel.

For some people, an online forum complaint may be sufficient to satisfy an interest to inform others about the matter.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Presumably consequences for the benefactor"? Scare-mongering as usual.

About the name issue:
You have managed to overlook the point that the consequence is for the "friend" who chose not to acknowledge knowing OP when contacted. For OP, the sole consequence is losing the rate.

It's also of note that Carlson which could easily have made good on the rate when OP complained, clearly investigated, reviewed the facts and came down squarely on the property and employee's "side". It could just as easily have done so, but come back with one of those standard, "but as a one-time courtesy for a valued customer" lines which can be used to finesse difficult situations.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:28 pm
Suspended

You have managed to overlook the point that the consequence is for the "friend" who chose not to acknowledge knowing OP when contacted. For OP, the sole consequence is losing the rate.
I overlooked no such thing.

What consequence for the OP's employee contact? No such thing is evident, as much as scare-mongering types may imagine it to be or want it to be.

It's also of note that Carlson which could easily have made good on the rate when OP complained, clearly investigated, reviewed the facts and came down squarely on the property and employee's "side". It could just as easily have done so, but come back with one of those standard, "but as a one-time courtesy for a valued customer" lines which can be used to finesse difficult situations.
Clearly investigated? ROTFLOL . It sounds more like Corp did nothing more than contact the hotel and take the FOM's word as gospel; if Corp even did anything beside merely respond to the OP.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:54 pm
Suspended

I wish to apologize to the OP and this thread. My bad for some reason I didnt take note that in fact the OP did contact Corp and the OP posted as such in their 1st post.

That said seems corp went along with Kim and felt theres nothing wrong with a hotel wanting the employee to call and confirm that the person using F&F is entitled to. The OP didnt want to bother their friend during that weekend . But once the employee said I dont know that person (for whatever reason) there goes the F&F res, even if you are entitled to be using it. If Kim has caught several folks I dont see the employee being called again and asked btw do you (nickname).

Im still with the hotel and see nothing wrong with wanting to be sure any discount is being used properly. It seems for this hotel an 80 Euro rate is way below what their reg rate is maybe 2/3 off. Im not sure they would go to the mat if it was a much smaller % like 10%. Or they may have had very high % of F&F reses and decided to make sure they are legit = asking that the employee call them or that they call the employee

If Kim is nasty in general that isnt good, but mgmt might not care if in fact he's preventing alot of folks who arent entitled to be using F&F or whatever from being to stay and pay those rates.

Last edited by craz; Aug 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
sorry, been travelling for work, I was travelling at the time the reservation was jeopardized by the unexpected email from Mr (indeed, a man) Kim, so I replied the following from my phone but then when I was about to add something I unexpectedly sent it, so THEN I immediately called the hotel since I would be catching a flight in about 3 hours' time, and I had had no time even to add regards:

================

hi there,

the rule is that I need to have the name and work location of my friend (in this case it is not a family member) at check-in - and not that I get someone to email you.

FEATURES:
- Please note - employee name and work location will be required at time of check-in.
- Discounted rate for family & friends of Carlson employees globally
- Guest will be charged equivalent of EUR 80
- Please note that currency exchange rates are subject to change
- Room type / Bed type / Smoking preference confirmed
- 25% discount on food and beverage (excluding alcohol) in the all day restaurant
- Buffet breakfast, VAT and applicable taxes included

=========================

on the phone, Mr. Kim was not available, so I spoke to someone in reservations, explained that I had inadvertently hit the SEND button, that my friend (who indeed does not know my full legal name, but only my nickname - and by the way I am a woman) was away for the weekend and therefore I was not sure how to get them an email confirmation.

I then told them my friend's name so they could check that he is in fact an employee of the Carlson group - and told them his work location.

by the time I checked my email again, after the lengthy phone call, the rude 3 emails from Mr. Kim had arrived (I posted the jist of them), and my reply was as follows (did I not post it before?):

==================================
Hi there (this is a standard POLITE greeting in English for a person of whom you do not know the gender),

I think there is a misunderstanding:

my name, as you know from my reservation, is XXXXXX (and since you know my gender you may call me Ms. XXXXXX)
I made a reservation with the Carlson Friends and Family discount rate - the CURRENT rules (not dating back to June 2014) are that you need the employee's name and work location AT CHECK-IN
this notwithstanding, since I hit the "send" button too quickly, I called and spoke to the Service Manager, clarified the misunderstanding, and even told her of the name (and location) of my friend, who incidentally works for Carlson but not for Rezidor - although this was not necessary today since, as you will know once you look at the current rules, the name and location are all that is required AT CHECK-I [sic]

I attach for your information a screenshot taken a few seconds ago of the current rules relating to the Friends and Family Rate.

I am sorry to say that I frankly am astonished and upset at the tone used by a Front Office Manager towards a customer, and I really think this is unworthy of such a nice hotel chain.

Regards,

================================

as I said, this post was and is all about the rudeness of the Front Office Manager.

Incidentally, once I read the last email Mr. Kim sent, I called again and was finally able to speak to him, and he was rude over the phone. When I told him I wished to make a complaint about his poor attitude he laughed and told me that tough luck, he was his own boss. No really, he did.

then he wrote another rude email (see below) and when I called back he had left for the day.

I wrote the following email to the hotel's GM:

======================

Dear Ms. Hallre,

I am writing to complain about the treatment I received via email, from your Front Office Manager, Kim Soo.

I attach the chain of emails, in order for you to be able to take any steps you feel necessary.

I find it frankly incredible that I, a customer, should be treated like this by a person working in a customer-facing position in a hospitality establishment: I am leaving the UK tomorrow morning and I will be arriving in Copenhagen at lunchtime with no idea if you will honour my reservation, so I have just now made another reservation at a more inconvenient hotel.

The Friends and Family Rate is only available when the availability is practically wide open, so driving customers away is unbelievable even from a revenue management point of view - I am very upset and I do not think there is any possible excuse for the following sentence from you colleague: "regardless who you are and your position is, your response is not appreciated at all".

I did not appreciate his response at all, nor the fact that he seems to have hit the "send" button on his email just a minute before leaving for the day, having frankly ruined my evening by his rudeness, and left me with a great worry about what otherwise would have been a great brief break in your normally friendly and usually very polite city.

I look forward to your very earliest reply and comments.

==============================

not that it matters in the least, but I spend an average 200 nights in various hotels worldwide for business (therefore always on a good (corporate) but lucrative rate for the hotels); this was supposed to be a weekend away visiting friends.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended

OP, thx for the above post.

Im not making amends for Kim but 1- We have no idea how many F&Fs this hotel gets and how many they find to be fraudulant, where the Employee and Friend really dont know each other.So if its a high % we have to understand that the hotel wants 100% confirmation from the Employee.

2- If I was Kim and the employee denied knowing the friend I would have CXed the res as well, Im sure you would have as well

3- I had gotten your reply it smacks of someone telling me my job and saying I must accept what is on the list and sort of How dare you ask for something not on the list and I wont comply as CC doesnt require me to. Result the hotel calls your Friend who denied knowing you, due to it seems knowing you by your nickname but to Kim its not important all that counts is they asked the employee if they know you via the name on the res and they said no. For me thats good enough reason to CX the res and warn the other CC hotels that this person may try and make a F&F res and scam you

4- You have to see things from then hotels side as well. Sure Kim should have phrased it better, but to them it seemed that they caught you red handed using F&F when you werent entitlled. I fully understand you not wanting to contact your friend when you knew they were away then maybe you should have simply CXed the res once the hotel had asked you to have the employee contact them. I also understand that you felt they had no right to require the employee to contact them but it does seem Corp disagrees with that
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:10 am

Wow, this seems like a nightmare of a hotel to deal with! Apologies to the OP, this would be a major buzzkill on a vacation.

I was going to use my F&F rate either at CPH Royal or CPH Falconer, but based on this customer service, I am not sure I want to even bother with the Royal. Someone tell me they are a little nicer at Falconer :/
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by adschnei
I was going to use my F&F rate either at CPH Royal or CPH Falconer, but based on this customer service, I am not sure I want to even bother with the Royal.
If you have an actual Carlson friend who knows you, there will be no problem....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.