Search

Park Inn charging CC Gold for late checkout

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Lifetime PE, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Diamond, HH Diamond
Park Inn charging CC Gold for late checkout

So.. a new experience...

Staying in the Park Inn Glasgow, as a CC gold, I asked for late checkout.I know this is subject to availability.

But the response I got was shocking. They announced they had availability, but company policy was to charge £10/hr for it. I pointed out I was CC Gold, and was meant to get it complimentary, if available. But they would not budge. They wanted £10/hr. I refused to accept this scam, and we left at the standard checkout time.

I'm HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond (I travel a lot!). I never seen a hotel behave like this before in such a blatant disregard of the late checkout deals offered to elites.

I don't use CC a lot, and each time I do, I get reminded why I keep reverting back to the other hotel chains.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's far from shocking. As demands for late checkout keep increasing, I expect to see this more and more. Currently most common in Asia.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:26 pm

Of course it all depends on whether the request is reasonable or not; anything up to 3 hours is reasonable, IMO. If I were the OP, I would be shocked too.

But then, if I were the OP, I would not be staying at a Carlson property if I could help it!
Old May 14, 2016, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I think the problem is that in the past, people requesting late check out had a real need to do it for one reason or another. Now, many in the loyalty programs see that it is an included benefit and feel that they aren't getting everything out of the property they possibly can if they don't try to get late check out on every stay, so ask for it when they could quite easily check out on time. Abuse of privileges leads to their removal, I'm afraid.

Not saying the OP didn't have a good reason.
Old May 14, 2016, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Marriott behavior in this regard is worse. Despite being a Platinum Premier (and lifetime Platinum), after some resistence, a Marriott hotel told me that late checkout wasn't available but it would be available for $99, which was well over half of my nightly rate in a hotel that was apparently pretty empty in all room categories for the night in question. It's a money grab.
Old May 15, 2016, 6:49 am
Original Poster

@druck - It was 2 hrs I asked for, which is actually stated as one of the benefits of CC Gold. So I was not asking for anything out of the ordinary.
I use Sheratons a lot in S. America, to take advantage of the 4pm late checkout benefit. The flights to Europe there tend to leave late evening. And frequently if they are not full, they freely offer to extend the already extended checkout to 5pm or 6pm, as they are familiar with the late flight situations. And Carlsson is pretty far down my list for stays, apart from the Radisson Blu's which I mostly like.

@Often1 - I consider it shocking when it's a published perk for CC Gold, and they then demand payment.

@Doc Savage - It was 2hrs, to time with a train departure. Better than hanging around a railway station. I actually cannot recall anytime I've actually asked for a late checkout "because I could", and I can't imagine many frequent travelers doing that. Late checkouts for me are when I have later flights or trains on departure days. And I suspect it's much the same for many. It may be a regional thing, of course. Flights from the US, heading east, mostly leave late in the day, so 4pm checkouts (SPG are good at them and IC Ambassador status guarantees it) are very useful.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
I've always taken the late check-out even if they've quoted the £10/hour charge (this has happened a couple of times at a London Park Plaza). Then at check out I've asked about the basis of the charge, as it's listed as a benefit.

They've never charged me.

And anyway, £10/hour is not that bad even if I ended up paying it.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:45 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
That IS shocking. If late check out is available (which it obviously was), it should be free and is not at discretion of the hotel. I'd refuse the charge...
Old May 17, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Interesting, I hope this will not develop too much... I have experienced quite similar tendency lately in other hotels too, mainly in the lower budget chains. Not sure if policies or individual cases though.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Happened to me once at Park Inn Ibirapuera, but since they had a HUGE banner saying "free late check-out for golds" I got away with it.
Happened to me again at Art'Otel Budapest and I *really had to work*, so I went to Park Inn for 9,000 points and stayed there until 9PM.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
I live out of hotels in Glasgow for my job and am also CC gold and yes, have stumbled upon this exact same thing in the Park Inn before.

Also in the Radisson Blu Glasgow (which is actually a lovely hotel) I have stayed there many many times and never had a room upgrade. I once pointed out that Club Carlson Gold entitles you to upgrade (again, appreciate this is subject to availability) but they told me *they* only do it for concierge members.

I stay around the UK and Europe and I do like Radisson Blus, they're generally decent hotels, but there is very poor consistency between hotels both in terms of Club Carlson offering and the hotels themselves.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

@hcuk94
In Glasgow, my preferred choice is Crowne Plaza if you are IHG Spire. I've a 100% record of getting upgraded to the executive floor, and 90% of the time I've been given a suite. Impressive. I mostly go for personal reasons, to music concerts, and for the SECC it's perfect. For other venues, maybe a bit out of the way, not that far to walk.

I've found the same poor consistency with CC. IHG spire started off a bit ropey, but seems to have settled down and I've been getting regualr upgrades around the UK and US most times (I cant speak for elsewhere yet, as I've not used them outside those countries). I used to use Radissons with mixed results, but since gaining SPG platinum, I've stuck with them mostly in other places, as the executive lounge is guaranteed, and so far, I've always had an upgrade to the exec floor or a suite.

I think that shows the reality, that frequent travelers will migrate to supporting the best programs when possible.
Old May 22, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Hawkerhunt
@hcuk94
In Glasgow, my preferred choice is Crowne Plaza if you are IHG Spire. I've a 100% record of getting upgraded to the executive floor, and 90% of the time I've been given a suite. Impressive. I mostly go for personal reasons, to music concerts, and for the SECC it's perfect. For other venues, maybe a bit out of the way, not that far to walk.
That is impressive - I'm a regular in the Holiday Inn Theatreland (where admittedly I've been upgraded probably 90% of the time) and the Hotel Indigo (all rooms are the same but free minibar gets stocked with beers, wine and spirits for spires) in Glasgow. Generally I need to be in the city centre but I might be tempted to try the Crowne Plaza regardless (the walk will do me good!) as I do like Crowne Plaza as a brand. I wish they'd open a Crowne Plaza in the city centre actually - the likes of the Rad Blu and the Hilton could do with a little more competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.