Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Help with some Europe redemption planning - biggest bang for points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS

Hi everyone!
I've quietly hit Concierge status this year by dint of spending four nights a week at a Radisson in Edmonton (groan), and I've got points to burn.

Three friends and I are heading to Europe for a couple weeks next September, and I want to treat them to some swankier accommodations than just hostels and Airbnbs.

Here are the properties and cities I'm looking at. Which do you think would be the best use of my CC points?
Munich was originally tops on my BOOK NOW list because I'd be there for Oktoberfest, but I can't get any availability right now.

Park Plaza Vondelpark 44,000
Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam 50,000
Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam 70,000
art'otel amsterdam, by park plaza 70,000

Radisson Blu EU Hotel, Brussels 50,000
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels 50,000

Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, Prague 44,000
Park Inn Prague 28,000

Park Inn By Radisson Munich 38,000
Park Inn By Radisson Munich-East 28,000

EDIT: Thanks for the input, folks! Itinerary and travelling party changed - wound up using my points at the Radisson Blu Astrid Hotel Antwerpen and Park Inn by Radisson Koln City-West.

Last edited by TehSuigi; Nov 9, 2015 at 11:27 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
For Prague
Alcorn is a truly excellent hotel, great staff, amazing food, book ahead for the Alcorn restaurant (Michelin star), wonderful decor throughout. Really nice rooms. Certainly worth 44,000 a night. Central location also. For cash 89 euro/night is easy enough find booking ahead

Park Inn, not so central, in the new Park Inn style, top floor rooms have a balcony. 28,000 is a pretty good rate, base room rate is about 70 euro so better value compared to the Alcorn but its not even close to the Alcorn in experience or comfort

For Munich
Park Inn By Radisson Munich, its not worth 38,000 at all, outdated old style Park Inn, not central but near underground stop which is a few minutes ride to centre, not much in the area around the hotel. That said its clean, breakfast is free and the staff seem to be quite friendly. That said room prices in Munich can be high even outside the Oktoberfest period, so points might be worth it.

Never stayed at the East property, looks a bit better for similar cash rates, but is further out and limited to the suburban train service into city, but you do then have a direct train to the airport 3 minutes from the hotel

For Brussels, Park Inn is worth a look, is new, convenient for the train station but otherwise area not so good
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
For Amsterdam:

Art'otel if you want a romantic stay
Radisson Blu: if you want a better stay as a group
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Points-wise strongly support the Alcron in Prague - great hotel !!

Brussels (based here): depends a bit, if you would be over on a WE just search for paid rates as both Royal and EU Blu hotels typically have incredibly good cash rates, would be a bit of a waste of points ... weekdays different story altogether. Royal right in the tourist area, EU a bit out but not too far & super hotel
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:16 am

Depends how many nights you want to go. If its 2 or 4 make sure you check out the 241 or 442 rates. I did a 442 in the Park Inn in Prague in February and it worked out at around £90 ($140) for the 4 nights. I also got 43k points for the stay (30k due to the promotion at the time) so great value
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

@ROKNA: So about 0.002 Euros per point at the Alcron? Doesn't sound like a good redemption deal for points use, so I'll try to get in on dollars (or dollars + points) and still take advantage of the place on your recommendation.

Good points about the Munich Park Inns - closer to downtown and the Wiesn is better.

I intentionally excluded the Midi Park Inn in Brussells because the area is sketchy.

@dc2447: We're a group, so Blu it is.

@KittyCat: We're doing Wed-Sun in Brussels so it's a little of each. Might be able to combine cash and points over two separate reservations.

@Benjyyy: Does every hotel offer 2-for-1 and 4-for-2? The spans we're looking at are:
2 nights in Amsterdam
5 nights in Brussels
3 nights in Prague
5 nights in Munich

Last edited by TehSuigi; Oct 7, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You might want to consider Berlin as well. The artotel KuDamm is good value at 15K per night. The Radisson Blu at 50K is also highly-regarded. Much more sensible stop between Amsterdam and Prague, unless the plan is to fly.

5 nights in Brussels is about 4 too many IMO, but maybe you have other reasons to go there.

By all means look for 4-for-2 or 2-for-1 rates as well. https://www.clubcarlson.com/oneweb-sb1/4for2

I have found that these reservations end up being locked and cannot be managed online or by Club Carlson, so I have to call the hotel to cancel or change dates...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif

I have found that these reservations end up being locked and cannot be managed online or by Club Carlson, so I have to call the hotel to cancel or change dates...
It only happens when the hotel directly does something to your reservation (add note, upgrade you in advance, whatever). After the hotel has changed the reservation in any way, only the hotel can delete it.

I have plenty of reservations affected by this (and some that are not - the hotel hasn't touched them and they are fine to be deleted from the CC website). Seems to be the limitation of the CC system as a whole.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:49 am
Original Poster

@craigthemif: Trust me, I tried to push for Berlin, but was overruled by the majority of my group. And we are flying between Brussels and Prague.

The appeal is more Belgium and Belgian beers. If you can think of a better base in the Benelux, please let me know.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by TehSuigi
Hi everyone!
I've quietly hit Concierge status this year by dint of spending four nights a week at a Radisson in Edmonton (groan), and I've got points to burn.

Three friends and I are heading to Europe for a couple weeks next September, and I want to treat them to some swankier accommodations than just hostels and Airbnbs.

Here are the properties and cities I'm looking at. Which do you think would be the best use of my CC points?
Munich was originally tops on my BOOK NOW list because I'd be there for Oktoberfest, but I can't get any availability right now.

Park Plaza Vondelpark 44,000
Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam 50,000
Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam 70,000
art'otel amsterdam, by park plaza 70,000

Radisson Blu EU Hotel, Brussels 50,000
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel, Brussels 50,000

Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, Prague 44,000
Park Inn Prague 28,000

Park Inn By Radisson Munich 38,000
Park Inn By Radisson Munich-East 28,000
For my direct experience, definitely:

- Radisson Blu Amsterdam (despite of the fact that many FTers love art'otel that I discard for the location)
- Radisson PRG
- Park Inn Munich-East strategically located in quiet neighborhood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.