Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any routes to Club Carlson Gold?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Any routes to Club Carlson Gold?

I have a couple of Carlson stays coming up and it would be great if I could get hold of Gold status. Tried to match my Hilton / SPG Gold however I was only offered Silver Elite. I know in the past Gold status was much easier to get a hold of. Is there any current routes for a UK based member to reach Gold quickly? Feel free to PM if there a little secretive, I would appreciate any help^
Old May 31, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's a benefit of the Amex Platinum card here in Canada (and I believe the US). Check the UK card's benefits.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think you'll find that Gold isn't worth much either for hotel stays. I was recently upgraded to the "Executive Floor" but told that didn't include access to the "Executive Lounge" a few doors down the hall...

The best perk for Gold is the 4-for-2 and 2-for-1 weekend rates in EMEA.

Not aware of any shortcuts apart from status matching a top level competing tier. Check statusmatcher.com. Maybe you can match SPG Gold to something weird like Best Western or Choice and then use that to match back to CC Gold.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:21 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm gold, and have never seen that it's done anything for me.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: UA/AA
I have received room upgrades, a welcome fruit plate, as well as early check-in & late check-outs.
Depends on where you travel and which brands you patronize. For some people it is worth it and others, not so much.
I have received numerous free stays that well exceed the cost of the card by at least a multiple of ten.
Two nights at a time of course.

Last edited by Paiteaw; Jun 1, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 5:26 pm

CC gold has given me NOTHING at many of their properties so if you want route to gold, go for Hilton , marriot or hyatt, spg.

The gold status has ZERO benefits. What it listed on their site is just written. This is another reason to cancel the card after the bonus award night gone and award rate increase.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:41 pm

Again it depends on the region...

I stay a lot in European Radisson Blu properties and in almost all of them I get free room upgrades, welcome gifts and a nice welcome.

In addition the extra points (35%) is not too bad if you stay a lot, looking forward to the 75% as Concierge (on my way to get there finally this year)

True enough, especially the U.S. properties and Park Inns in Europe don't go the extra mile for Gold elites.

One short cut which works is to match with SAS EuroBonus Gold/Diamond which is rather easy to get if you fly frequently on *A metal, the other one o can think of is to get complimentary Gold as shareholder. I think there is a thread here about it.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:08 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Always get a welcome bag, and late checkout when I request it.

At an Atlanta Country Inn and Suites, we consistently get upgraded to their one bedroom suite. Nothing fancy.... but appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:55 pm

I have stayed at several of their properties in Europe and US and Asia and GOLD gets you NOTHING. They don't even welcome you as gold member. So what they say you get in their card member agreement , just like give us $75 fee and you get BOGO is hardly true.

I know some members got basic benefits of gold but generally the only status CC has is Concierge.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:17 am

That happens if you over-inflate the number of elites... like what happened with a lot of the airline FFPs.

If you stayed on BOGO award nights and got status purely based on the CC no wonder the properties don't welcome you like a Saudi prince... The rate they get reimbursed from CC is miserable compared to the prices business travelers or even leisure travelers pay in cash.

Even worth if they see in your profile that you have been one of the maximizers...

If you earned your status with a quite substantial amount of stays I have seen a lot of nice gestures from the hotel.

Anyway, even there I have seen a lot of properties which really take care of Elites. Also consider the difference is also based on culture. e.g. here in Scandinavia it is just not common or cultural accepted to treat people different based on some shiny plastic card - everybody is the same and gets the same. (google Jante's law).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: A3 Gold
As a gold status matched in 2012, renewing every year since, I have no complaints. I get upgraded most of the time and, as mentioned above, the 2-4-1 and 4-4-2 EMEA rates are a killer benefit. Some occasional free breakfasts as well, but I don't count on it.

I agree HHonors Gold is a LOT better, but have in mind the average Hilton group hotel will cost you 50% more than the average Rezidor group hotel. As I pay my own hotel bills on leisure travelling, I favor the Rezidors for the time being.

Also, CC promos are far from shabby, got 70k points early this year spending roughly 300 EUR on 2-4-1 and 4-4-2 rates.

I think shares are a good option if you plan to feast on the 2-4-1 and 4-4-2 rates. You can buy the 200 shares for roughly 800 EUR and you can easily save that in a few stays, especially in places like Scandinavia where a decent hotel room seldom goes for less than 100 EUR. If for some reason I don't requalify, I will most likely do it.

Just have in mind 2-4-1 and 4-4-2 aren't exactly 50% off, unless you are lucky enough to find one of such rates after the advance purchase period is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.