Will you be cancelling your CC Visa?

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:14 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Does anyone have any data points on how quickly Gold status is lost if the credit card is canceled?
It should last until the next elite period resets (Feb/March every year). If you cancel in the next few weeks, if your account has already been renewed through Feb 2017 it should stick.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I don't think there are many carlson properties worth my vacation time but if I end up in europe, the points or 2for1 rate might come in handy. I'm going to keep the business card for $60 every year. $60 is about breakeven for 40k points and gold status.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:42 pm

i got fee charged in mid Dec and due in Jan but forgot to pay it but paid it today , a supervisor explains since it was late, I missed out on the 40k renewal bonus and won't get it even if I just paid the fee and apologizes and offers me 7500 points.
That means I am paying $75 fee for 7500 points which for me is worth $10.

She says it is up to club carlson.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
i got fee charged in mid Dec and due in Jan but forgot to pay it but paid it today , a supervisor explains since it was late, I missed out on the 40k renewal bonus and won't get it even if I just paid the fee and apologizes and offers me 7500 points.
That means I am paying $75 fee for 7500 points which for me is worth $10.

She says it is up to club carlson.
us bank is well known for horrible customer service. Get a few more cards from us bank for the bonuses. Abuse all teh benefits. Stick it to them! That's what I'm doing with the flexperks card
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
us bank is well known for horrible customer service. Get a few more cards from us bank for the bonuses. Abuse all teh benefits. Stick it to them! That's what I'm doing with the flexperks card
They are horrible and unlike other issuers where they can do something, these at US bank insist they have zero power to do anything other than explain the useless benefits we already know
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:02 pm

Does anyone have any data points on how quickly Gold status is lost if the credit card is canceled?
I canceled last summer, and the Gold status has stayed in place, will be valid through the end of February. Same thing for others I know.

This is in spite of the fact that US Bank states: "After opening an Account and making a first Net Purchase with the Card, you will qualify for Gold Elite status...You will continue to maintain Gold Elite status so long as your Account remains open and in good standing."
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:20 am

My husband and I both dropped our cards to the no annual fee version, and plan on cancelling those after we finish using our points and old bogo award nights this summer.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by muji
I canceled last summer, and the Gold status has stayed in place, will be valid through the end of February. Same thing for others I know.

This is in spite of the fact that US Bank states: "After opening an Account and making a first Net Purchase with the Card, you will qualify for Gold Elite status...You will continue to maintain Gold Elite status so long as your Account remains open and in good standing."
Originally Posted by dw
It should last until the next elite period resets (Feb/March every year). If you cancel in the next few weeks, if your account has already been renewed through Feb 2017 it should stick.
Thanks. This is exactly what I came here to ask. All 3 of our accounts are already showing "Gold Elite -- Expires Feb 2017". Good to know it doesn't get clawed back.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
I decided not to renew. I cancelled last week. $60 AF took a week to get credited back. While I have used up the points, I still have the free night certificate issued last summer, which I booked for next month at the Raddison Blu in Philadelphia. Gold is set to expire at the end of this month.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
I decided not to renew. I cancelled last week. $60 AF took a week to get credited back. While I have used up the points, I still have the free night certificate issued last summer, which I booked for next month at the Raddison Blu in Philadelphia. Gold is set to expire at the end of this month.
So I waited to think hard to cancel or pay the fee. I was than charged late fees on the AF. I have never been charged late fees and interest on AF unless it has been sometime by other issuers but US bank did. I beged them to remove the late and interest fee. I than paid the AF but now they told me since I was 2 weeks late on paying the AF, I am not getting the 40k renewal bonus. I spoke to 3 supervisors to either refund me the $75 AF so I can just cancel the card or give me the points for which I paid the fee but they wouldn't. They talk to me as if I violated something so bad. I have this card for over 2 yrs.

I filed CFPB complaint.

They are the worst card issuer.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
So I waited to think hard to cancel or pay the fee. I was than charged late fees on the AF. I have never been charged late fees and interest on AF unless it has been sometime by other issuers but US bank did. I beged them to remove the late and interest fee. I than paid the AF but now they told me since I was 2 weeks late on paying the AF, I am not getting the 40k renewal bonus. I spoke to 3 supervisors to either refund me the $75 AF so I can just cancel the card or give me the points for which I paid the fee but they wouldn't. They talk to me as if I violated something so bad. I have this card for over 2 yrs.

I filed CFPB complaint.

I'm confused. Were you actually late in paying the fee or not?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I filed CFPB complaint.

I'm confused. Were you actually late in paying the fee or not?
He must have missed the due date in paying the fee hence he was charge the late fee and interest.

The T&Cs did say the bonus would only be issued when account in good standing. By virtue of being late in paying the AF, the account lost the "good standing" status.

If US Bank chooses, it could invoke the T&Cs and inform CFPB the bank's decision and the basis of that.

Just think about this, many people cards were canceled by the issuers because of MS or whatever reasons. The banks simply invoke the T&Cs which has the clause in virtually any card, that either the bank or the customer can cancel the account at any time without any advance notice without any reason. Nobody has reported ever succeeding in getting such closures reversed CFPB filings notwithstanding and of course all points earned were confiscated or forfeited because accounts were no longer in good standing. People only got back their points thru legal actions. It is not just US Bank does that. BofA, Barclays, Citi, Chase - they all do that.

OP may get lucky that the CFPB complaint would work, but if it doesn't then there is really not much one could do other than legal action thru small claims court...

This serves as a reminder - while you take the time to decide whether you want to keep the card, DONT ever let the charge go to Past Due - not only you incur late fee and interest charge, you also may potential blemish your credit report, depends on how soon the bank reports Past Due to credit bureaus.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Happy
He must have missed the due date in paying the fee hence he was charge the late fee and interest.

The T&Cs did say the bonus would only be issued when account in good standing. By virtue of being late in paying the AF, the account lost the "good standing" status.

If US Bank chooses, it could invoke the T&Cs and inform CFPB the bank's decision and the basis of that.

Just think about this, many people cards were canceled by the issuers because of MS or whatever reasons. The banks simply invoke the T&Cs which has the clause in virtually any card, that either the bank or the customer can cancel the account at any time without any advance notice without any reason. Nobody has reported ever succeeding in getting such closures reversed CFPB filings notwithstanding and of course all points earned were confiscated or forfeited because accounts were no longer in good standing. People only got back their points thru legal actions. It is not just US Bank does that. BofA, Barclays, Citi, Chase - they all do that.

OP may get lucky that the CFPB complaint would work, but if it doesn't then there is really not much one could do other than legal action thru small claims court...

This serves as a reminder - while you take the time to decide whether you want to keep the card, DONT ever let the charge go to Past Due - not only you incur late fee and interest charge, you also may potential blemish your credit report, depends on how soon the bank reports Past Due to credit bureaus.
MY issue is having to pay fee and not get the bonus or able to cancel with fee refund.I asked to cancel 2 days after fee is paid because I was than told by a supervisor that I wouldn't get the 40k points.
I wouldn't pay the fee if the first agent i spoke to didn't tell me i would still receive the 40k points after 2 weeks late on AF.

What's bad is almost all issuers give you minimum of 60 days to cancel or pay the AF after it is charged. I have not been charged fees on AF unless it is paid within 60 days. US bank gives only 30 days.

If they refuse, I would respond back with "listen to the first call I made".

Regarding your credit report going bad, card issuers report only if you are late at least 15 to 60 days.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Feb 6, 2016 at 8:16 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
MY issue is having to pay fee and not get the bonus or able to cancel with fee refund.I asked to cancel 2 days after fee is paid because I was than told by a supervisor that I wouldn't get the 40k points.
I wouldn't pay the fee if the first agent i spoke to didn't tell me i would still receive the 40k points after 2 weeks late on AF.

What's bad is almost all issuers give you minimum of 60 days to cancel or pay the AF after it is charged. I have not been charged fees on AF unless it is paid within 60 days. US bank gives only 30 days.
Banks make the rules, not credit card clients. Are their rules less game-able than other issuers? Yes, I agree. Do we get to decide what is fair and when to pay fees? Unfortunately no.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
I still have the free night certificate issued last summer, which I booked for next month at the Raddison Blu in Philadelphia.
I have read here and on some blogs that cancelling the credit card will not affect the free night ecert reservations, but I have not heard any direct confirmation of this. Please let us know if you have any issues or not when you check in for your ecert reservation next month

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.