Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will you be cancelling your CC Visa?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
@Nirvana91 I agree! This card and CC program are not for everyone. If you absolutely hate their properties and have a ton of points in another loyalty scheme, there is no reason to hang on to the card.
I am more of an opportunist when it comes to loyalty points. I like to collect them as long as the price is right. I feel in the case of CC renewal fee, the price is right...for now. You never know if you end up needing a hotel by the airport and Club Carlson just happens to have one for 9,000 or 15,000 points per night. The program doesn't have a whole lot of "destination" type redemptions in US, which is its greatest weakness. Still, overall, it's totally doable to get your money's worth out of the fee, and then some.
I definitely wouldn't hang on to those points long-term, though. I don't have a lot of confidence in that program. They announced that Park Inn in Orlando was supposed to be 9,000 points per night on June 1st., but then they kept it at 15,000 points level. When there is a choice as what hotel program to use, CC points will be the ones I will try to burn first.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milesforfamily
I definitely wouldn't hang on to those points long-term, though. I don't have a lot of confidence in that program. They announced that Park Inn in Orlando was supposed to be 9,000 points per night on June 1st., but then they kept it at 15,000 points level. When there is a choice as what hotel program to use, CC points will be the ones I will try to burn first.
I take it you dont collect SPG either, after all every yr on Devaluation day a bunch of hotels that went down end up going back up the next day.Others that werent listed as going up ended up going up etc etc. My pt is Club C isnt the only program when it comes to cat levels do double takes very fast

If the CC works I think depends on how much $$ you need to spend to get that so called free room. So MSing with the CC may in certain circumstances be very profitable, although not nearly as it was up to now. Then if all that is needed is a room and one doesnt expect to be spending any length of time at the hotel itself then CC may be worthwhile. In some cases where it costs say 15K for the night that will mean MSing $3K doubt youd find any other program where $3k can score you a night(OK SPG Cat 2 on a Fri/Sat night)

Pt is in under some condtions it still may be useful, Many 1 nighters by a European airport, it just may come in handy. Will miss the BLU @ ZRH, @ 70K I can make other options workout better but MSing will get me the room for $112 max, so if loaded with bags its the best option, flying light wil stay elsewhere
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
Originally Posted by craz
I take it you dont collect SPG either, after all every yr on Devaluation day a bunch of hotels that went down end up going back up the next day.Others that werent listed as going up ended up going up etc etc. My pt is Club C isnt the only program when it comes to cat levels do double takes very fast

If the CC works I think depends on how much $$ you need to spend to get that so called free room. So MSing with the CC may in certain circumstances be very profitable, although not nearly as it was up to now. Then if all that is needed is a room and one doesnt expect to be spending any length of time at the hotel itself then CC may be worthwhile. In some cases where it costs say 15K for the night that will mean MSing $3K doubt youd find any other program where $3k can score you a night(OK SPG Cat 2 on a Fri/Sat night)

Pt is in under some condtions it still may be useful, Many 1 nighters by a European airport, it just may come in handy. Will miss the BLU @ ZRH, @ 70K I can make other options workout better but MSing will get me the room for $112 max, so if loaded with bags its the best option, flying light wil stay elsewhere
@Craz Actually, I don't collect SPG points. In fact, I just cancelled my Amex SPG because they didn't offer any no-fee card option to convert it to. I mostly got it for the sign-up bonus. That's what I do with all new cards at the moment. We don't spend more than $25K per year and I don't do MS (yes, we do exist!).

I'm extremely picky when it comes to annual fees. My only "keeper" cards at the moment are Chase IHG, Club Carlson Visa and Wyndham Visa (new offer that comes with 15,000 points each year). I prefer to use my credit pulls on miles or cash back sign-up bonuses, so by "buying" hotel points via renewal, it frees me to pursue other offers. Of course, I plan to leverage them during holidays or high season.
I don't really bother to accumulate any points via everyday spending. My energy is always spent on whatever new card I'm working on at the moment. You are right, it can still make sense to accumulate CC points for Cat 1 or Cat 2 properties, though, I probably wouldn't bother. But then again, we don't travel that often. For someone on the road constantly and paying out-of-pocket for hotels, CC card can still make sense.
Also, I didn't mean to imply that CC is the only program that plays games with its members. Far from it! Frankly, I don't trust any of them. That's why I subscribe to "earn and burn" philosophy. Still, given a choice, I consider SPG the lesser of two evils, if it makes sense.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:11 pm

I have both the personal and business cards, meaning annual fees of $135, and earning 80,000 points. Over two years that gets me enough points to get a few nights in New Orleans for less than it would cost for one night on a paid stay, which is what I am aiming to use them for. So for me, the cards are still worth it.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I have both the personal and business cards, meaning annual fees of $135, and earning 80,000 points. Over two years that gets me enough points to get a few nights in New Orleans for less than it would cost for one night on a paid stay, which is what I am aiming to use them for. So for me, the cards are still worth it.
I hope it will work for you, but if history thought us one thing is that miles/points lose value much faster than inflation. That is, by the time you'll have enough points in today's rate, it is not unlikely that the rates will go up.

Despite not following my own advice (still sitting on too many miles and points myself), the goal is to earn and burn.

I doubt that CC can do another massive devaluation as they did this month (there is really no way to do such a thing apart from re-engineering the program completely), but I would not be surprised to see rate creep, which always happens in the places you want to go to.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:39 am

I hope so too, and I agree on the earn & burn, though time is the scarcest of resources unfortunately. I am counting on the fact that in the next fourteen months or so there will be no further devals (my billing cycle is in June, so by August of next year I will have all the points I need to make the booking). Hope blooms ever eternal :-)
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:34 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am curious.... where are these $20 and $25 USD properties? All in India?

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
yeah $20 for many of their motels like country inn, park inn, park plaza.
Cancel it and get your $75 back before they go back to their normal 30 days refund policy
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:35 pm

I canceled the Club Carlson credit card due to the rewards program change.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:59 pm

Do you loose the points in your account when you cancel the card?
Are there ways to transfer them out without booking hotels, ie airlines, shopping etc?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by felicity5
Do you loose the points in your account when you cancel the card?
No, the points in your Club Carlson account will stay where they are when you cancel the card.

Originally Posted by felicity5
Are there ways to transfer them out without booking hotels, ie airlines, shopping etc?
Club Carlson transfers to some airlines, in my opinion using a terrible ratio (I think 10:1)

You used to be able to get gift cards and prepaid Visas:
http://www.clubcarlson.com/fgp/redeem/home.do
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
So other threads have pointed to random folks getting a free night out of no where with a letter attached. I have not complained nor received a letter or free night. I think I might just cancel at renewal just for that...any one know how they cherry picked folks to get it or not?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I did not receive a letter, however I got an e-mail today with an E-certificate good for a night at (seemingly) any Club Carlson property. Give it a couple more days.

Originally Posted by mrkymark
So other threads have pointed to random folks getting a free night out of no where with a letter attached. I have not complained nor received a letter or free night. I think I might just cancel at renewal just for that...any one know how they cherry picked folks to get it or not?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:52 am

I will be cancelling now. After not getting the Stay 1 get 30k automatic promo that everyone else got and not getting the free night...yeah. Kiss my *** CC.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:36 pm

My CC is not showing any CA availability, it has two dashes beside CA amount in my account? Makes it difficult to order AGC's with it since it's a USBank card??
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Time to loss of Gold Status upon Cancellation

Does anyone have any data points on how quickly Gold status is lost if the credit card is canceled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.