Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need to keep my card?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Do I need to keep my card?

Looking at a 4-night stay in May 2016 using points for the first 3 and getting the 4th free. In order to get the last night free, do I need to be an active cardholder just when I book, or do I need to be one at the time of the stay?

Also, if I want to extend such a stay by using cash for additional nights, is my best bet calling CS to handle it all at once?

Thanks,
NHAnimator
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Do you need to do a search???
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

I always search before I post. If I can't find a satisfactory answer, then I ask. Sorry to inconvenience.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Fair enough.

No one knows the answer to the question.

I personally have written that I am a holder of the fee free card which also had this benefit -- I didn't jump on the bandwagon of the fee card as I was unsure that I wanted all those points annually, not knowing if I could unload them all when needed.

Trust me, I was sorely tempted to get that card with the 5 points/1 spend on NON-CLUB CARLSON items -- I was looking for something to take the place of my SPG AMEX and provide me with an annual boost of points for the privilege of paying an annual fee, but it just didn't make any sense in my travel plans calculus -- if I ventured to the Scandinavian countries often, perhaps, but I don't and have little reason to do so even on a semi-annual basis, so I refrained and was saved from having to get rid of even more points that I have to do so.

Long story short, I think the best way to avoid all concerns is to downgrade to the no fee card -- I made by 2fer reservations like you with this card, and I still will have it in my possession when I intend to use my 2fer free nights in 2016.

If I have a problem, well then they will face legal action as I always have complied with the rules of their program as well as being a credit card holder whose account is in good standing.

I don't anticipated any trouble when using them in 2016 with the card I have, and I can't imagine you would have a similar issue should you also be a card holder in good standing at the time of your vacation, as well.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
According to the FrequentMiler blog, you do not have to keep the card. He received an email from CC confirming this as shown here: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...-award-nights/
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much for the feedback.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
No need to cancel the card...can downgrade as others have mentioned. But if you need to extend your stay and the property is 40,000 points or less, you might make out better by paying the annual fee and using the points for another single free night...and to top it off, another year of Gold perks.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA,UA, BA, DAL, FB
Even with the tremendous downgrade, it probably is still worth it to pay the annual fee and get the 40K bonus points. Should be able to redeem for a stay valued at more than the cost of the annual fee.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:16 pm

Does account closure result in immediate loss of gold status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.