Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CC in a tailspin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
CC in a tailspin?

Is it just me or does it seem like Club Carlson and Rezidor are in a bit of a tailspin? I know the credit card devaluation is likely for the better from a corporate standpoint, but I can't help but wonder if it's part of a larger tailspin for Rezidor.

In looking at liquidating points, I'm surprised at the number of aspirational or semi-aspirational properties that have left or are leaving the system:

Tahiti - left the system early this year
St Martin - left the system this year
Fisherman's Warf - leaving in June
Historic Savannah - leaving in June
Aruba - likely to leave pending hotel sale

I know it's just a small sampling of hotels, but many of these were on the (already small) list of aspirational properties outside Europe. Outside my one Europe trip, I'm struggling to find hotels worth burning points at. I also haven't noted any new top tier hotels being added in the last year as these are lost.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I agree with the lack of aspirational properties. I've run into problems finding hotels at which I want to burn my points, even including Europe. There is almost always another better property nearby from one of the other chains in which I have status,and when I compare my cc gold status benefits to the equivalents (like hilton gold), I'm always better off somewhere else. My family stayed at a number of cc properties last year (including those in Paris) and my wife has sworn off radissons. I'll likely do a few more stays this summer to use my remaining points, but I'm no longer trying to earn points and rack up stays.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Personally I think that, since Rezidor is going to undertake a new hotel concept which requires huge investments and at the same time they are also further improving their properties portfolio in the next 3-5y, I think that some "dismissions" are quite natural.

About the Credit card devalutation, unfortunately it seems a very common practice to me:
CC, probably, is still the most generous program and since the loyalty programs represent a budget's liability, they're trying to reduce this. This is exactly the same strategy undertook by the airlines!
Furthermore the credit cards bonus must be always agreed with the issuer bank/circuit which probably decided to reduce their benefits (e.g. get 1 night free bonus)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:41 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
For awhile it seemed like Carlson Rezidor had good momentum with their pipeline, but things have been oddly quiet for the past year. Over a year ago they announced the Quorvus Collection and Radisson Red.

It's now a year later and the only Quorvus Collection properties are the two former Missoni properties. The May Fair is still "coming soon". I haven't heard much at all about Radisson Red, other than that the first property is expected to be in mainland China.

And for all the talk we'd heard about Radisson Blu being expanded in the United States, there are currently only four properties (in three metropolitan areas). While two were added last year as conversions, I haven't heard anything about anything new in the pipeline for North America for Radisson Blu. While more conversions would probably be the fastest way to get them online, unfortunately even the Radisson footprint is lacking when it comes to city center properties in the US.... nothing in Seattle, San Francisco (now that Fisherman's Wharf is leaving), Los Angeles, Boston, DC... the list goes on and on.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:46 pm
Suspended

The OP and dw make good points.

I am not a big fan of over the top aspirational properties that truly are difficult to get to from the USA -- such as Maldives, Mauritius, etc, and which will take at least 1 day to transit to/from.

However, it is something quite else to have aspirational properties -- or at least just plain decent boring properties that are well located in city downtown cores -- but CC has precious few of these in the USA and is losing 25% of that number, as we speak, not to mention certain Caribbean properties, as well.

Radisson Red is going to debut either in India or China -- from what I just read a few days ago -- not much help to a US bound traveler.

We are stuck with Country Inns and Suites with their folksy antique furniture -- as if the millennials wish to sleep in their great grandmother's house!

Marriott is forging ahead with AC by Marriott and Moxy, each with modern clean lines, SPG was the first with W, element and aloft, and the other chains are doing so, as well, and with the decision to revoke the signal best benefit of the credit card which was an actual spur to patronize CC properties in North America, this is now their thrust??

Leave us with decrepit Country Inns and a credit card that has been shorn of its best benefit -- I don't think so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.