Search

Emptied Out My Account!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Frugal Travel Guy reports that he was able to book thru 12. 2016!

I will cancel some of my winter bookings and see if this is true.

If so, that would be a big help to many!
Thanks for the info.

It will help me in one or more ways.

Has anyone tried to see if there is a modify booking option that allows date changes without point re-deposit?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, there is but I think after the change-over your 2 nights booked under the old rates will evaporate so I would not count on it.

OK, so I was able to make some Summer 2016 bookings in London although the Park Plaza properties could not be booked that far ahead.

I cancelled one of my Paris reward stays and thus had enough points for 3 two (2) nighters in London, switching between the Radisson Berkshire and the Radisson Portman.

Now, I am only staying once at the Radisson in Paris and I am back to my 3 nights at the Indigo there. Also, cancelled my 3 nights at the Indigo Rome and will use 5 nights under the old rewards level at one of the Marriott properties in Rome, yay!!

Strangely, for those of you who may wish to see Paris, I saw that all 3 Radisson properties were open and bookable with points that far in advance, even though close in only the Champs Elysee property is available in the near future!

Good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the foreshadowing of the Paris property -- seems like they took a book out of the form over function rule from the Rome property!

But, as you note, burn, baby, burn.

YES! I notice you can book more than a year out.

I had noticed that the HI Notre Dame always seemed to be sold out -- now I know why!

It is a PITA. Dont use the calendar. Check Day by Day, sometimes they will show up. This property, together with the HI Old Sydney in The Rock, probably are among the most popular HI properties for award bookings. Both are quite decent properties. They were bargains at 25K and still very reasonable at 35K just my opinion.

FWIW, I think the Hilton Mainz just decreased a rewards category yesterday.

Thanks for the heads up - will check that out - we booked it on P+M then replaced it with Radisson FRA so we can burn a 50K but of course at Mainz we would have HHonors Gold benefits. So a trade off.

I was thinking of going to Trier and using the CC property there, now that will have to wait for another day, etc.

Totally forgot about Trier - thanks for mentioning this. Need to check again to see if we can modify the itin again. It is not too far out of the way, down near Luxemburg IIRC.

Wow good luck with burning those points, I had a hard enough time assigning mine -- luckily Christmas time was generally wide open and we had the time -- not the best time to be in Europe but perhaps we can tage advantage of the after Christmas sales in the non-latin countries with our strong dollar!

Yeah, the bookings in London are hinged on we would take a TATL from Southampton back to either NYC or FLL. The cruise prices have to be really favorable for us to do it. However, based on the last minute sales of the outbound FLL-EU, it might very well happen! To give you an idea, SIL's friend in Toronto will sail on the 15th for 23 days from FLL to St. Petersburg, $999 + $336 taxes inside cabin per person, before daily gratuity. That was booked 2 weeks ago. SIL just sailed on Sunday, 16 days to BCN with $699 + $136 taxes again inside cabin per person before daily gratuity. So we might see that kind of pricing 2 to 3 weeks out from sailing dates. Dont mind to fly coach to EU if needed. Can use TXL/MAD/CDG/LHR because the final destination is LHR which is very easy to get to from any OneWorld Europe hub. We will see.

Used to be huge sales in London started after Boxing Day in the past - 10 times crazier than the Black Friday here. You do get some high quality goods at very cheap costs. No idea in these days and age of internet would it still be the case. We just could not handle the coldness being living in warm climates all our lives. lol.

That is one heck of a trip you are doing -- Europe and Asia in one fell swoop!

In North America, one might take a look into the Radisson Blu in Chicago or the Toronto Harbor Front property.

All big chain hotels in Chicago are at the top of their reward categories and the CC property is in a great location, so burning 50,000 points there is a good thing -- also summer in Chi town is nice and there are many thematic festivals, only Blues fest and Taste of Chicago are already sold out.

We actually accidentally booked the Chicago property for the first weekend of August a month ago, just so we could take advantage of the BofA Museum on Us program. It turns out that weekend has some Alternative Music? Festival in the Lake front and the bookings were non-cancellable. I contacted the hotel and made a plead of innocence / ignorance and they canceled the award bookings, manually refunded the points. The bookings remain on our CC account online but points have manually posted back by CC. When I went in to cancel those phoney bookings, the website would just flash back to the Account page without doing anything. Hotel assured me there was NO booking in its reservation system, and CC assured the hotel there was NO booking in CC system either. I guess the listing would eventually fall off once the dates have passed.

Same goes for the Toronto property, sadly, Carifest is also sold out now, but other summer dates are wide open.

We have families in Toronto so that is one city we never need a hotel room.
Our past 4 trips were all RTWs - When UA announced its huge devaluation, we burnt 650K UA miles in 2014 for 2 Asia/Europe awards (J and F). Shortly after US went into OneWorld, we took the bargain 110K sweet spot and booked a South Africa / Turkey in J (AA chart is 155K!) and did the trip in Feb/Mar this year.

This upcoming trip starting in 10 days is a combo of a TATL cruise at an incredibly bargain basement price FLL to BCN on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Sea, ($460 per person inside cabin before daily gratuity of $12 pp, for 12 days. Do the math. ) Wanted to go from Europe to Hong Kong (this way would save us a one-way award either EU-US, or US-HKG), but could only find CX J on FRA-HKG. Hence there comes the 7 days in Germany portion. We actually also are forced to spend 4 days/3 nights in BCN because we disembarks on May 1st - the International Labor Day long weekend - the only suitable BCN-DUS AB flight booked with Avios is on May 4th. Luckily there is a great 4P and it just went down to Cat 2...

On way home, again it is too early to find HKG-US on CX. Only availability is the crummy JL angled seats on the renewed route KIX-LAX. I had a blonde moment to book an Asia 1 to US award, thinking we could spend some time in Japan (Tokyo and Osaka) with the Avios for the needed flights. Here comes a week in Japan where our last visit was in 2009 on an AA Explorer award. But now I have some second thought - might eat the $150+$25 fee to deposit miles and then rebook HKG-US if we find suitable J seats HKG-US when we are in HKG. Would also lose $56 cash payments to BA on the 2 Avios bookings. Oh well... We will see, especially the weather in Hong Kong when we are there, probably will determine whether we would make the change or not.

In short, all those trips were driven by program devaluation one way or the other! They also disrupted our annual TATL cruise last year so we quite look forward to resume our "ritual". Hence all the speculative bookings are surrounding around this theme.

I like your idea of downgrading the fee card to the no fee version so to make sure we would be in compliance of the T&Cs of "must have valid credit card" as I am looking into some 2016 dates that are beyond the 12 months in Copenhagen, in case we would take a TATL cruise next April.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 8, 2015 at 10:43 am
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Happy,

Wow oh wow, those are some trips!

I understand concerning the cold, although I love it, my wife is Florida born and bred, and although she has been popping around the North for University and Law School, with a stint in the South for Business school, she has been based up in this area for more than 20 years.

Of course, she always pines for the warm weather, whereas I like to sleep very cold and she jokes that she is the only person she knows who sleeps in flannel pjs in the summer!

Anyway good luck with your trip planning, the post by FTG really helped a lot opening up another 6 months of use for the points. As my wife has an office in London and we really love the city, it is a no-brainer for us to book there in the summer and enjoy the city even if she has to work some of the time. After all, it could provide a great jumping off base for the rest of Europe and I don't mind burning the points there so long as we can take advantage of the nightlife.

By the way, in mid-August in Chicago is the Air-Sea show. Although I never have been to it, it is supposed to be great with all the aircraft flyovers. Might be a great thing to do, especially with young grand-kids in tow!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for the info.

It will help me in one or more ways.

Has anyone tried to see if there is a modify booking option that allows date changes without point re-deposit?
Yes but it would only work if you still have enough points in the account for the additional 2 nights. I notice this when on one occasion my account did not have enough pts for another award - when I changed date the website told me I did not have enough pts for the booking. Of course there were enough pts as that was a mere date change. But the mechanism seems to first deduct the points for the new dates, then put back the pts from the canceled date, though no such details would ever show in your account history. Otherwise it is inexplicable why the site told me not enough pts when I tried to modify the date.

It is also a cleaner history at least I think so, by doing a X then rebook.

If you are thinking about modify dates AFTER devaluation, I think you are out of luck on this. Not a single hotel program would allow you change dates and still keep the pre-devaluation point level. I dont believe Club Carlson would be any exception, especially in light of this biggest devaluation of all programs so far.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy,

Wow oh wow, those are some trips!

I understand concerning the cold, although I love it, my wife is Florida born and bred, and although she has been popping around the North for University and Law School, with a stint in the South for Business school, she has been based up in this area for more than 20 years.

Of course, she always pines for the warm weather, whereas I like to sleep very cold and she jokes that she is the only person she knows who sleeps in flannel pjs in the summer!

Anyway good luck with your trip planning, the post by FTG really helped a lot opening up another 6 months of use for the points. As my wife has an office in London and we really love the city, it is a no-brainer for us to book there in the summer and enjoy the city even if she has to work some of the time. After all, it could provide a great jumping off base for the rest of Europe and I don't mind burning the points there so long as we can take advantage of the nightlife.

By the way, in mid-August in Chicago is the Air-Sea show. Although I never have been to it, it is supposed to be great with all the aircraft flyovers. Might be a great thing to do, especially with young grand-kids in tow!
If you can make it happen I would say it would be a perfect fit for Summer in London. Some daytrippers outside London are very nice in Summer. We enjoy going to Greenwich and up the hill - on a sunny day it gives an amazing view below. The Royal Naval Museum at the foot of the hill is a gem.

I like the room at Portman better than the Berkshire. Basically I dont like the old-world design. Portman looks much more modern. Berkshire though has a better location - if IIRC, it is a stone-throw to Trafalgar Square. I almost book Portman versus County Hall but the upgrade room at County Hall is a 30 sq meter room with sitting area connected with a corridor where it has microwave / wet bar - this has swayed me to use the 62.5K for a much nicer room.

About our trips, South Africa is amazing. We did Self-Drive Safari in 2 national parks. Totally love it. Would return in Sept/Oct 2016. Would use AS award if the CX chart stays. Turkey is meh (our second time, to different parts of the country.)

Talk about AS program - On the upcoming trip we used AS miles for the FRA-HKG flight at 42.5K. cheaper than AA's and much cheaper than UA's.

We have a very mixed feeling towards London / Paris, primarily because we have seen their better times decades ago. The influx of immigrants from Africa / Middle East is a game changer imho. Marble Arch and Oxford St used to be very nice area. Now north of Marble Arch basically turns into a little Arab with Oxford street full of tacky little shops. Even Regent street no longer has its aura. What we continue to enjoy are the British Museum, the National Gallery and occasionally the Tate Museum and the like. British Museum is like an old friend. We try to drop by on each visit to London. Also the Brits still think they should keep their museums free for all. We gladly give a donation each time.

Talk about nightlife - last time we were in London, at the Covent Garden / West End area there were mob control police cars at literally every side street and the crowds were unbelievably huge - turned out the crowd was waiting for Hugh Grant to emerge from some kind of event held at a local club. There was a tiny little city park nearby and it was filled of all kinds of garbage everywhere. That totally ruined our desire to ever go to Covent Garden again.

We have Air-Sea show down here too. I dont remember if they still do Fleet Week. We did go one year before 9-11. They did resume the event but no longer every year. No grand-kids thank goodness.

Thanks a lot for mentioning Trier. Upon checking the driving time from DUS, we ditched Brussels and replaced it with Trier. There is really no attraction of Brussels other than a day trip to Bruges BUT Bruges would be a port of call on one of those potential TATL cruises in Spring of 2016!

I do not see Hilton Mainz go down one category. The one at Mainz City did, not the one by the river. It is still 40K or 16K + 59 euro before tax.

Now onto burning the rest of the account balances...

Last edited by Happy; Apr 8, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Radisson Berkshire may have undergone a renovation since you last looked. I was actually able to guarantee a King room when choosing a reward room from the drop-down box as opposed to a simple double room.

http://carlson.photowebusa.com/radis...ire/index.html

Although the above is entitled a Deluxe King, it is not that much different from the Standard Double that they have a 360 vue of as well, and perhaps all their King bed rooms are "deluxe." Even so, the double ain't shabby and is modern looking and if there is a difference, perhaps a status match back to Gold might land me into one of these rooms.

The area is not my favorite, as well, as it is too commercial for me, but of the choices available, without the Park Plazas near the County Hall, this will do, besides it is right on the tube line to Liverpool Street where my better half alights to work at her London office in the City. Moreover, the hotels are near Selfridge's and since we are devoted fans of the PBS/ITV show, we might just pop in there, as well!

I'm glad Trier works for you, always am interested in Roman ruins and Brussels is not my favorite, as well, Never been to Antwerp and I do love Brugges, but not Brussels. Also, if you are in the area, Lux City is interesting to visit and a trip to Bastogne if you are into military history is also worthwhile. By the way, Luxemburg principality has relatively inexpensive gas prices (although this recollection is from some years ago) as I think they tax less than the other European states.

Sorry about the Hilton Mainz, I forgot there were 2, but the now reduced one doesn't work for you, or is it less favored by those who have visited it?

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 8, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about the Hilton Mainz, I forgot there were 2, but the now reduced one doesn't work for you, or is it less favored by those who have visited it?
The one at Mainz City does not have parking nor lounge.

The original reason to pick Mainz is because only 30 min driving to FRA. Our flight is almost 2pm.

Radisson Frankfurt is even closer, only 15km to FRA. We would spend a night at Strasburg where there is a reasonable HIE (versus a very old Hilton). Then the remaining 2 nights at the Radisson Frankfurt. On the first day driving to Frankfurt we could spend some time at Heidelberg - last time we passed thru that area was 40+ years ago!

Having a car has great advantage but also has some drawback - need to make sure hotels have parking facilities or nearby has facilities, and of course the ransom parking fee hotels charge. It is a big revenue source for the hotels everywhere even though the low-cost public parking or even no cost parking can be found nearby with some efforts.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
The one at Mainz City does not have parking nor lounge.

The original reason to pick Mainz is because only 30 min driving to FRA. Our flight is almost 2pm.

Radisson Frankfurt is even closer, only 15km to FRA. We would spend a night at Strasburg where there is a reasonable HIE (versus a very old Hilton). Then the remaining 2 nights at the Radisson Frankfurt. On the first day driving to Frankfurt we could spend some time at Heidelberg - last time we passed thru that area was 40+ years ago!

Having a car has great advantage but also has some drawback - need to make sure hotels have parking facilities or nearby has facilities, and of course the ransom parking fee hotels charge. It is a big revenue source for the hotels everywhere even though the low-cost public parking or even no cost parking can be found nearby with some efforts.
Wife and I did the wine road from Riquier (sp.?) in the summer and it was a blast. Each little hill town had a designated weekend day where they showcased their wine and it was a low price to imbibe -- got hand stamped, drank some, went on our way to Germany for dinner and came back for the dessert wines after again showing the hand stamp to gain admittance!

I love Choucroute so I love Strasbourg and we did stay at the Hilton -- I think I was Diamond back then and they comped or cut the parking rate for us.

OK, here is another tip that might interest you, although it might be too far for your journeys.

I happen to love Art Nouveau and Brussels actually was an epicenter for it at one time, with the architect Horta, if I recall correctly. Of course, everyone knows and appreciates the iconic Metropolitan subway entrances in Paris.

What many do not know, however, is that there is an entire town/city chock a block full of such structures, similar to South Beach and Mimo.

That city is Nancy, in Lorraine, that has a dedicated museum to Art Nouveau, or at least a large representation of it in the local museum. In addition, there are many existing houses and more importantly, store fronts, sporting the sinuous lines of Art Nouveau, which you likely know, was taken from nature. The local tourist office has a great handout for doing a self guided walking tour of those structures.

The reason why Nancy was an incubator for this movement is elegantly simple -- it was a large agricultural powerhouse and form followed function, or at least horticultural knowledge.

Long story short, although I was not interested in Club Carlson at that time -- I stopped off at Nancy on the way to Strasbourg and the Alsatian Wine Road, I do believe that there is a Club Carlson property located quite near to Nancy.

In addition, I believe that Louis XV's wife was the daughter of the Polish King and when he was deposed by Prussia, Russia and Austria, his son-in-law the King of France set he and his court up in very nice digs in a beautiful Baroque square that still exists in Nancy.

So, an overlooked city in France that is well worth your time if you are in the neighborhood!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:16 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SCH-I545 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Frugal Travel Guy reports that he was able to book thru 12/2016!

Is it an issue if I cancel the credit card before my 2 for 1 night award stay?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:23 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; SCH-I545 Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by PlaneSpotter

Frugal Travel Guy reports that he was able to book thru 12/2016!

Is it an issue if I cancel the credit card before my 2 for 1 night award stay?
Nevermind, read in another thread to just downgrade to no fee card.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PlaneSpotter

Nevermind, read in another thread to just downgrade to no fee card.
I think that is the safest course of action since that is the only card I have ever had and it came with the 2 for 1 deal like the heavyweights.

I don't think that they could cancel your reservations since you would be a cardholder of the very same card that gave me the 2 for 1 rights to the nights.

Besides, I think I will still choose to earn CC hotel points if the bonuses on the car rentals stay the same. What else am I going to earn, 3,000 air miles max??

Better to husband those CC points for some out of the way Country Inn or some Park Inn in Eastern Europe, the Baltics, Scandinavia or Germany, I think as the major US chains are still relatively scarce there!

After all, they have not said that they are doing away with the points and cash option!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that is the safest course of action since that is the only card I have ever had and it came with the 2 for 1 deal like the heavyweights.

I don't think that they could cancel your reservations since you would be a cardholder of the very same card that gave me the 2 for 1 rights to the nights.

Besides, I think I will still choose to earn CC hotel points if the bonuses on the car rentals stay the same. What else am I going to earn, 3,000 air miles max??

Better to husband those CC points for some out of the way Country Inn or some Park Inn in Eastern Europe, the Baltics, Scandinavia or Germany, I think as the major US chains are still relatively scarce there!

After all, they have not said that they are doing away with the points and cash option!
I agree on the downgrade route because this meets the requirement no matter how you slice it.

Good advice. Both Riga and Tallinn have multiple Radissons. We had great stays there. The Elizabeth in Riga has gone up 2 categories from 38000 to 50000 since our stay! We also stayed at Park Inn in Stuttgart, a bit out of the city center but the urban train station is 5 min walk from the hotel. We enjoyed the visit to Mecedes Benz museum very much. Porche also has a museum in town.

Thank you for the tips on Nancy. Yes, we know about the town. It is further south though. Funny thing is we have been at the areas surrounding Alsace-Lorraine (Germany/Switzerland and France) but never been at Strasbourg. So we look forward to it on this trip. Hope it lives up to its reputation.

Do you know the town Napier in New Zealand, was rebuilt in Art Decor style after a devastating earthquake?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting tidbit on the 30K points--those bonus points attached to my food and beverage charge from an award stay in Indy for the Final Four. (!!)

The 30K bonus points posted along with points for the drinks I charged to my award room while drowning my Spartan sorrows last Saturday night.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CubsGirl
Interesting tidbit on the 30K points--those bonus points attached to my food and beverage charge from an award stay in Indy for the Final Four. (!!)

The 30K bonus points posted along with points for the drinks I charged to my award room while drowning my Spartan sorrows last Saturday night.
Thank you for posting that! We have some international award stays that have parking fees. So now instead of using an A+ to pay I would pay with the CC Visa despite the 3% forex fee and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.