Hotel recommendation for BKK

Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Hotel recommendation for BKK

Going to be in BKK in late July. With the bonus award night going away I'm going to be booking soon. I know there are 4 or 5 Carlton properties in the city and was wondering if people had any suggestions or reviews. All seem pretty centrally located and also cheap if I just decided to pay for the nights outright. I'll be there 5 nights. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Park Plaza Bangkok Soi 18 is something like $70 a night as a paid stay and a well-regarded hotel (top 50 in Bangkok on TripAdvisor), which is pretty competitive with local hotels in that star class in Bangkok (unlike similar American chains, where you get charged a premium for the Hilton or Marriott name on the hotel).
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at Soi 18 twice and it was fine, but I stayed once at the Park Plaza Sukhumvit Hotel and liked it a little better. There was a little elephant made out of a towel on my bed when I got there. I haven't tried the others.

It's too bad they're all clustered around the Asok BTS Skytrain station -- most of what I do when I'm there is centered around Silom Rd.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:43 am

On a paid stay, I would go with the Park Plaza Soi 18. As mentioned above, it is competitively priced with local competitors, and a comfortable hotel.

On straight points, the Radisson Blu at 38K is better value than the others at 28K.

As for the Park Plaza Sukhumvit, its gold upgrade is better than the Soi 18's as it only has 2 room categories, and it is a little closer to transportation hubs. I preferred the staff and atmosphere at the PP Soi 18 though. Would stay there for a ~THB2-300 cost differential, and if having a view is a priority (basically no view at the PP S18 and Radisson Suites). My deluxe corner room in the southern pointy end of the building had a nearly 270deg. view ranging from the Exchange Tower to the Sheraton!
Gold member gifts are a little pleather elephant and a branded mug

The Radisson Suites is at the end of a featureless side street, a negative unless the proximity of the Soi 11 nightlife is desired. Their larger rooms are substantially bigger than at the Park Plazas', but upgrade policy haphazard. I get the feeling this hotel isn't as well managed as the others.

Room decor and quality at the PP and Radisson Suites are very comparable. Small detail, but the harsh PP shampoo just doesn't agree with my hair; however it is very effective as laundry detergent
The Radisson Blu is a class or two above, and very new too boot (although the others are very well maintained).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably end up booking it as a reward stay at this point and get the benefit of the bonus night before it disappears. Seems there isn't too much of an opinion one way or another on most of the properties. Leaning towards checking out the newest of the properties which would be the Blu I guess.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by burdender
Thanks for all the replies. I will probably end up booking it as a reward stay at this point and get the benefit of the bonus night before it disappears. Seems there isn't too much of an opinion one way or another on most of the properties. Leaning towards checking out the newest of the properties which would be the Blu I guess.
Blu is definitely the nicest of the properties, not surprising since it's also the newest. Very convenient location with plenty of eating options within a short walk.

PP soi 18 is a convenient location on a quiet soi but I find some of the rooms can be a bit tired and a little cramped. Great street food nearby, though, and laundry by the kilo options close by too.

Radisson Suites soi 13 is a bit of a walk to Sukhumvit but they have a tuk tuk that will take you to the BTS Nana station. Rooms there can be a bit nicer than PP soi 18, IMO.

Have never stayed at PP Sukhumvit.

If I were on award stay, it would be at Blu. If you are Gold be sure to ask for the room upgrade in the comments section of the reservation request.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: UA/AA
Why is it necessary to request the room upgrade ?
Is gold level not shown when making a reservation?

Last edited by Paiteaw; Apr 10, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:33 pm

Twice stay at blu and only been given grand deluxe room which is just high floor room.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Why is it necessary to request the room upgrade ?
Is gold level not shown when making a reservation?
It's shown but in my experience at the Bangkok properties - and that's over a dozen stays - you won't get it if you don't request it. Hence, my suggestion.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
in my experience at the Bangkok properties - and that's over a dozen stays - you won't get it if you don't request it.
My experience as well for Blu (upgrade to higher floor at best) and Radisson Suites, neither of which feels welcoming IMHO.

PP S18: their pre-arrival emails do show what seems to be an internal field with something like 'Deluxe Room (You are G3 Free Executive ( Subjec to room available)' (sic). The basic rooms look directly into the condo next door, the upgraded ones face either a blind wall or the street, but are otherwise similar. I seem to recall that originally the ones in the back were the higher category...

PP Sukhumvit: automatic upgrade to deluxe corner room.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:47 am

Going to BKK this winter (booking before devaluation)...anyone ever upgraded for 57,000 pts the "Club Carlson - Premium Award-Junior Suite" with breakfast, lounge access, larger room...this seems to be only infrequently available (usually just "Club Carlson - Premium Award-Grand DLX Room" for same 57k)
Old May 16, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by phiota
Going to BKK this winter (booking before devaluation)
None of the BKK properties appear to be on the category change list; do you have information that the list is incomplete?
Old May 16, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by monahos
None of the BKK properties appear to be on the category change list; do you have information that the list is incomplete?
I am guessing devaluation of the credit card.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:13 pm

Yeah looking to book so early because no more 2nd night free.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:24 pm

We use to stay at PP on 18 when it was 15k/night, but haven't been back after increase. We have always been upgraded to 1 bedroom suite at Radisson Suites on 13 without ever asking. It is a little walk to Sukhumvit but not bad at all and it is the closest to Nana, which is where we spend our nights. Wife likes shopping in Nana much better than Soi Cowboy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.