Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Bonus Award Night going away on June 1st, 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
On April 3, 2015 Club Carlson members with the US Bank Visa card received an email confirming that the "Bonus Award Night" feature is being withdrawn on June 1, 2015. Quoting from the email:

Beginning June 1, 2015, you can earn a Free Night, good at any Carlson Rezidor hotel in the U.S. This Free Night will replace the current Bonus Award Night benefit. Bonus Award Night stays may not be booked after June 1, 2015. You'll receive the new Free Night award upon renewal of your card after an annual spend of $10,000. Updated program terms and conditions will apply and be available on June 1, 2015.

Some recipients (but apparently not all, see below) also received a consolation offer in the same email:

[...] to thank you for your continued loyalty, you can earn 30,000 bonus Gold Points® on your next Eligible Stay at a Carlson Rezidor hotel worldwide when you pay with your Club CarlsonSM Visa®. Offer ends August 31, 2015. Terms and conditions apply.

ClubCarlson's Twitter feed claims the 30,000 bonus Gold Points offer for next stay is available to all cardholders. (source: https://twitter.com/clubcarlson/stat...92110149791744)

Complaints regarding this "enhancement" can be directed here:

+1 (888) 288 8889-- USA number

https://www.facebook.com/clubcarlson?fref=ts

or https://twitter.com/clubcarlson
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA,UA,BA,SPG,IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, UR, MR
To add insult to injury, my email notification from CC says annual free night only at U.S. properties where they are somewhat lacking in quality. Burn and cancel for me.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:02 pm

hi guys, do u recall when you received sign bonus points? right after meeting spending or 6-8 weeks later?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:03 pm

Email says: A free night after 10k spend is good at any Carlson Rezidor hotel in the U.S. so it seems that can't use it worldwide!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhuck
To add insult to injury, my email notification from CC says annual free night only at U.S. properties where they are somewhat lacking in quality. Burn and cancel for me.
Yeah, that's what got me, too. I book rooms overseas, so the free night is not very useful. Let's see if I can book 300,000 points worth of rooms before June 1.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:05 pm

I am already booking into 2016. XD
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kaaria
This Free Night will replace the current Bonus Award Night benefit. Bonus Award Night stays may not be booked after June 1, 2015.

To me, we have until May 31 to book a bonus night room which can be booked into next year.
This is what I am reading also on various blogs. My question is if I book now as a credit card holder to take advantage of bonus award nights, will I need to keep the credit card until the actual stay date?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by vah4883
Email says: A free night after 10k spend is good at any Carlson Rezidor hotel in the U.S. so it seems that can't use it worldwide!
I saw that! While I've stayed at nearly 20 international Club Carlson hotels, the only US Club Carlson hotels I've stayed at were either to take advantage of a bonus promo (which it seems I will do again for 30k points per the email), because of lack of choice (event onsite), or the NYC ones (previously Lexington, recently Martinique). So, I won't plan to go for it.

This seems like an over-devaluation reaction to me. They should have just changed it to last award night stay is free on stays of 4 nights or more.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Oh well. I'd actually been steering some credit card spending to Carlson recently, being impressed by the excellent redemption values 2 for 1 in London and Chicago.

The card is still worth the annual fee, given the 40K points (which I'd value at USD 200 or more) and the modest benefits of Gold status. But I probably won't bother with $10K spend given that the Radisson Blue Chicago is the only US hotel worth going out of one's way to stay in and that it has very patchy award availability.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:55 pm

Is that 30,000 points offer automatically given to every cardholder or is it targeted to certain club carlson accounts? I haven't received it on my business club carlson account, but did receive on my personal club carlson account. Also, I hope there are no issues paying for my personal account stay (with a diff carlson number) using my business carlson credit card (which has a diff carlson membership number tied to it)
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mastermc54
Time to take advantage of the 30,000 point bonus, get in as many bonus free nights before the privilege goes away, and burn out account points to use the gold elite privilege before my December/January annual fee hits. I won't be spending $10,000 for a free night certificate...I'd much rather go for $20,000 with my Hilton Amex to get gold there. It was fun while it lasted as you can really make out like a bandit with bang for your buck/points using the free night benefit, but time to move on from the Club Carlson card.
It does not state you can accumulate multiple bonuses, it only states that you may get the bonus on your next eligible stay between the time given.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:01 pm

What's even more ridiculous is the fact that they charge foreign transaction fees. If I were to book a room in Panama & pay with their card, I would have to pay the fee to earn the 30k bonus points.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
I am glad I didn't hit the "Buy Now" button fast enough on the March 25 Club Carlson offer on Daily Getaways.

Regarding the "30,000 bonus Gold Points® on your next Eligible Stay at a Carlson Rezidor hotel worldwide when you pay with your Club CarlsonSM Visa®", I wonder whether those 30,000 points will go into my account after my stay, or after U.S. Bank posts them. Since I want the points in my account before 5/31, maybe the next Eligible Stay needs to be real soon.

Last edited by scruffy; Apr 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, IC Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
Don't think it is, but would be curious if the loss of the benefit is considered an unallowable reduction in benefits for new card members of less than a year. I know you can't change the financial terms of a card for a year, but would think that there is some consumer protection for those who just signed up for the card, seems kind of like a bait and switch (not sure on the newer CARD at regulations).

For me I've had the card for two years and now have to burn 500,000 points. Shame as I've never actually redeem a Carlson award night, but looks like I will be going back down to 4 programs in my hotel quiver,only ever stayed at Carlson and IHG for the promo's anyways.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Well, the upside of this development is no longer feeling conflicted about not participating in a CC bonus points promotion nor looking for a decent CC property here in the USA as they are few and far between!

As I noted elsewhere, however, Wyndham Rewards is changing its reward structure come 5/11/15 and since it has some marquee properties here in the USA, as well as the fact that it does have worldwide representation, and it seems that it will be pretty easy to earn 1000 points per night at even roadside properties -- some of which are in areas where few other chains can be found -- this will now pique my interest and perhaps offset the demise of this program.

Moreover, since I have the no-fee CC credit card, even though I don't stay at many Carlson properties, it should not be too hard to keep my account active!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Guess I need to nail down my dates for Ireland in the fall. At least they gave me enough warning to determine if I need to MS this month to top off my balance.

It did save me a fortune in London last year. I've actually tried moving some stays in the US to CC, but they have nothing where I travel.

Oh well.... On to the next game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.