Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can't cancel a standard award by calling Club Carlson

Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium

I have a reservation including a award night at Lucerne. I called reservations and they told me to call Club Carlson (which closes at 7 PM EST), I called Club Carlson just now and they told me that although reservation can be cancelled without penalty but I have to contact the hotel directly.

I asked them if the Hotel also tells me the same thing, should I call you back and I was told "NO, don't call us back. Hotel should be able to cancel it. There is nothing we can do to get your 100,000 points back".

I will try to call the hotel tomorrow (the reservations is closed right now). hopefully they can cancel it.

What a frustrating system.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why can you not cancel it online?

I have never called either hotel or club carlson to cancel a reservation - always done online and pts coming back immediately.

If your reservation has PASSED the deadline for free cancellation, then yeah, you have to plead for hotel's mercy. Is it the case here?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
This is quite common with Club Carlson award stays, points & cash, 2for1 and 4for2 reservations. Calling hotel directly may also cause questions because not all reservation agents are used to non-revenue and status based bookings.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I can't cancel it online coz there is NO cancel link for this reservation. All other reservations do.

This is a 3 night reservation with the last night free for club Carlson Visa card.

My travel plans have changed so I am keeping the reservation now but I will still call the hotel to ask them what the issue is.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:17 pm

I have had cases where I call the hotel to cancel and they can cancel the room but cannot get my points back. I have to call Carlson to get the points refunded.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:52 pm

I've experienced this too. However, Club Carlson resolved this by contacting the hotel on my behalf. I think this situation may be caused if the hotel touches your reservation. For sure, most reservations can be cancelled online.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ
I've experienced this too. However, Club Carlson resolved this by contacting the hotel on my behalf. I think this situation may be caused if the hotel touches your reservation. For sure, most reservations can be cancelled online.
+1

I had this experience with the Radisson Blu Lucerne.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Surely it'd be best to just cancel online? Unless you're past the cutoff time in which case don't expect to get your points back.

The hotel are in the wrong any way, based on my experience with Carlson Rezidor, once the reservation is made, ownership is with the individual hotel and they have to make all changes (unlike IHG for example where it's central), so you'd need to get the hotel to sort it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ

I've had this before too. I wrote an email to the general park plaza representative and he cancelled the reservation for me.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:22 am

I think Hyatt also doesn't allow award cancellations online
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS,UA
I've had this this happen with the Blu Antwerp, i just emailed the hotel with my Confirmation Number and they cancelled it without any issues

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.