Wiki Posts
Search

Gold upgrade on Award nights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Gold upgrade on Award nights?

I am planning to book a 3 night award stay in Zurich for next summer (using a bonus night for US bank card members). I am waiting for my gold status / award miles to post to make the booking.

I was wondering if award stays are also eligible for room upgrades?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I am planning to book a 3 night award stay in Zurich for next summer (using a bonus night for US bank card members). I am waiting for my gold status / award miles to post to make the booking.

I was wondering if award stays are also eligible for room upgrades?
I've received CC Gold Elite room upgrades on award stays on several occasions. I generally request it in the comments box when making the reservation via the CC website.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I've received CC Gold Elite room upgrades on award stays on several occasions. I generally request it in the comments box when making the reservation via the CC website.
Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, EK, Choice Diamond, IHG Platinum, Fairmont Premier, HHonors Silver, Best Western Diamond
Good answer.

I've had the exact same experience. You are entitled to Silver/Gold/Concierge benefits on award stays the same as paid nights.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Can anyone advise me please. Have 2 rooms booked for Radisson Blu Lucerne/Luzern for the same 2 nights, using points (50,000 points per night). We are a family of 4, but none of the rooms at the hotel permit 4 guests, including the Junior Suites, hence the 2 reservations. Each reservation booked in my own name; I have both business and personal Club Carlson U.S. Bank Visa cards, so the 2nd night is free for each reservation.

The breakfast buffet at this property is well-reviewed on TripAdvisor.

My reservations do not appear to include the breakfast buffet. Currently, Business Class rooms are available during our stay for 75,000 points per night and the breakfast buffet is included.

Question: if we are upgraded to Business Class rooms, would the breakfast buffet be included? Would the hotel upgrade BOTH my room reservations, or is that something that isn't allowed or sometimes not done?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth 50k points (25k per room) to book the Business Class rooms and ensure the bigger room and included breakfast.

As Club Carlson Gold, we are entitled to a 'room upgrade' but this is only my 2nd-ever Club Carlson award booking and there's only 1 data point in the sticky thread about this property (Gold member was upgraded from Standard room to Business Class room).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:41 am

Upgrading to business class room keeps cash cost down. Basically, it's $200-350 worth of points (50k points @ 0.4 cents each when they are available at a discount, or 0.7 cents each typically) to get the nicer room plus 8 free buffet breakfasts (4 people x 2 days).

Sticking with the Standard Room and paying for the breakfast out-of-pocket has the advantage of 15% food & beverage discount as Silver/Gold/Concierge member, plus earning 20 points per dollar. At $100 for 4 people x 2 days, that could be 3,400 points which are worth $13-20...which really isn't all that much.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:43 am

@ Vishalgupta22, which hotel in Zurich? We have an award stay booked at the Park Inn Zurich Airport this winter. I'll be sure to reply back here whether we get an upgraded room or not.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluedevils
@ Vishalgupta22, which hotel in Zurich? We have an award stay booked at the Park Inn Zurich Airport this winter. I'll be sure to reply back here whether we get an upgraded room or not.
I am planning to book Radisson Blu at ZRH airport. It's a few extra gold points but I guess proximity to airport is worth it.

Please let me know what you find. If you can post (or PM me) your stay dates, I can send you a message a few days after your stay.

Have fun at Zurich, hope we can also get some tourism tips from you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.