Keeping account alive

Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Question Keeping account alive

Hi,

the T+C state that 24 month without activity may result in loosing your points....

I wonder if booking a reward and cancelling it afterwards will count as "activity" to keep the account alive?

Thank you for your input!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I'm not sure if that will count as activity, however, if you know someone that is also a member, you can transfer points to them, and latter on they can transfer it back to you. Maybe a minimal amount, just a though.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by arollins
I'm not sure if that will count as activity, however, if you know someone that is also a member, you can transfer points to them, and latter on they can transfer it back to you. Maybe a minimal amount, just a though.
Be great to hear any first hand experience on this.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
I wonder if booking a reward and cancelling it afterwards will count as "activity" to keep the account alive?
When you book an award are the points deducted from your account right away ? And then credited back to your account if you cancel ?

If it works this way then it probably would count as "activity". But this is purely speculation on my part.

If you have enough CC points that you are concerned about loosing them then it would probably be worth transferring 2,000 CC points to your favourite airline program. That certainly should be considered "activity".
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Buy 1000 points for $7 if you're concerned. That's what I did for my mom.

They should be worth at least $5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.