Wiki Posts
Search

CC Signature card AF waived first year

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
CC Signature card AF waived first year

I have been targeted for the Club Carlson Rewards Visa Signature Card which nets 60K points after $1,500 spend. The promo is that the $50 AF is waived the first year.

Normally I would have applied for the Premier Rewards card which would have netted 85K points after $2,500 spend, and has a $75 AF, but is not waived the first year.

Is it possible to get the lower end card first, hold it for a year, cancel it, wait for a period of time (like 6 months), and apply for the higher end card to get another set of sign up points? Or is US Bank so finicky that they will deny me the better card later or not give me the sign up points? I would like to eventually have the higher end card for the better yearly bonus points.

It doesn't seem like there is any real value between silver or gold membership, and I could get gold through a status match anyways.

Also I own a small business and have thought about also applying for the Business Rewards card as well, as you then get two separate Club Carlson accounts to be able to use 2 nights + 2 nights.

Feedback on what my chances are for being approved: No reporting agencies frozen. Real TransUnion score of 822. FAKO Experian score 787. Three new credit cards since Jan 1st. Have had a US Bank home mortgage since 2003 with only 33K balance, never late. Have been lightly churning, hence the 3 new cards since Jan 1st. Probably 15 cards over the last 3 years.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by alben
I have been targeted for the Club Carlson Rewards Visa Signature Card which nets 60K points after $1,500 spend. The promo is that the $50 AF is waived the first year.

Normally I would have applied for the Premier Rewards card which would have netted 85K points after $2,500 spend, and has a $75 AF, but is not waived the first year.

Is it possible to get the lower end card first, hold it for a year, cancel it, wait for a period of time (like 6 months), and apply for the higher end card to get another set of sign up points? Or is US Bank so finicky that they will deny me the better card later or not give me the sign up points? I would like to eventually have the higher end card for the better yearly bonus points.
Yes, it is possible. Not much hard evidence yet. See long thread on Credit Card Programs thread. Read the wiki thoroughly.
It doesn't seem like there is any real value between silver or gold membership, and I could get gold through a status match anyways.

Also I own a small business and have thought about also applying for the Business Rewards card as well, as you then get two separate Club Carlson accounts to be able to use 2 nights + 2 nights.
Yes, you can usually get both.
Feedback on what my chances are for being approved: No reporting agencies frozen. Real TransUnion score of 822. FAKO Experian score 787. Three new credit cards since Jan 1st. Have had a US Bank home mortgage since 2003 with only 33K balance, never late. Have been lightly churning, hence the 3 new cards since Jan 1st. Probably 15 cards over the last 3 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.