Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson BLU: Zurich Airport (just my opinion!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I recently stayed at the BLU at ZRH airport and can't honestly say that it was a great stay. Rather, I'd put it in the 'well it was OK' category. I thought at first glance it was going to be a fairly modern hotel, especially after seeing the lobby and the multi-story wine tower complete with attractive acrobatic women retrieving wine bottles from the racks.

The room (at least mine) was ho-hum at best. Weird red/blue color combo, weak bedding and aged carpeting/bath etc.

I put out a trip report on my site that has a few photos and some more thoughts.

For the price they typically charge which can be between $200 and $400 in some cases, I would expect more. I've stayed in Suites for this kind of money!

Fortunately the Carlson Friends code found in this forum brought the price down to about $110-120 range which made it at least tolerable as far as value/experience is concerned.

I don't mind recommending it, but not for more than $150/night at most!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:42 pm

I like this hotel. I always get a runway-facing room, order some room service, and stare out the window for a few hours. I haven't been there in a few months, but I'm fairly certain all the rooms I've had have looked a bit better than that... that color combo is awful.

Do you have status? Maybe they haven't updated the standard rooms in a while...

This hotel is pretty consistent in a one-level upgrade for me.

The premium is definitely for the airport, and a little bit extra for being a Swiss airport. I'm not a fan of the Park Inn. IIRC, it's one of the Golden Arches hotels converted to a Park Inn (Golden Arches as in McDonalds...yes, they owned some hotels in CH for some reason).
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
I like this hotel. I always get a runway-facing room, order some room service, and stare out the window for a few hours. I haven't been there in a few months, but I'm fairly certain all the rooms I've had have looked a bit better than that... that color combo is awful.

Do you have status? Maybe they haven't updated the standard rooms in a while...

This hotel is pretty consistent in a one-level upgrade for me.

The premium is definitely for the airport, and a little bit extra for being a Swiss airport. I'm not a fan of the Park Inn. IIRC, it's one of the Golden Arches hotels converted to a Park Inn (Golden Arches as in McDonalds...yes, they owned some hotels in CH for some reason).
No status, I'm a Hyatt 'stayer' when I can help it.

It could very well be that I got a lower-level room in terms of quality...its not that its a bad hotel, I'd stay there again, but was a bit surprised by it.

I was going to stay at the Park Inn until I came across the Carlson Friends code. Never Knew McDonalds was in the hotel biz in CH!

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jun 17, 2014 at 4:18 pm
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I stayed at the Park Inn ZRH a few weeks ago. Not a bad place. McD's next door and misc grocery / restaurant / etc things across the street.

I was going to do the Rad Blu but our corporate rate wasn't that great.

I will however say the Rad Blu in St. Gallen is pretty nice!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
No status, I'm a Hyatt 'stayer' when I can help it.

It could very well be that I got a lower-level room in terms of quality...its not that its a bad hotel, I'd stay there again, but was a bit surprised by it.
There's a few ways to get status easily - credit card, owning stock, status mtach, etc if you want to try again :-) But definitely not a good value without status for one of the standard rooms it seems...

I was going to stay at the Park Inn until I came across the Carlson Friends code. Never Knew McDonalds was in the hotel biz in CH!
Not anymore, but here's an article about it: http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/pre...mes240301.html

The beds even have the McDonald's arch!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I recently stayed at the BLU at ZRH airport and can't honestly say that it was a great stay.
[..]
I don't mind recommending it, but not for more than $150/night at most!
I've been to the BLU and the Park Inn in ZRH a few times. Whilst the premium for the BLU as only within-aiport hotel is considerable, for my purposes it is usually worth the price.

Staying at Zurich is usually quite expensive at any hotel, yet as a statusmember with CC the BLU often enough wins for me in terms of value for money.

Some additional thoughts:
- The shuttle to the PI is not that comofortable and not always available.
- Reception at the PI is often enough staffed with only one person, so even if there's a only a few people coming with shuttle, try to jump out first of the van to be ahead of the queue
- the BLU has some decent train connections from within the airport, whereas the PI is in a commercial area without any connection by bus etc. to the city I remember
- Breakfast at he BLU is usually quite relaxed, whereas in the PI it sometimes gets a bit hectic with some smaller groups of travellers to (?) Asia buzzing around the buffet
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:10 pm
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I stayed at the Park Inn ZRH a few weeks ago. Not a bad place. McD's next door and misc grocery / restaurant / etc things across the street.

I was going to do the Rad Blu but our corporate rate wasn't that great.

I will however say the Rad Blu in St. Gallen is pretty nice!
Radisson Blu St.Gallen is indeed very nice hotel. I think it is the best Rad Blu in Switzerland.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:36 am

Just stayed for 2 nights.
It's your average Radisson Blu. After staying at 5-6 of them the color schemes are all the same. Still don't like it.
Pro's: location, very good American style breakfast (at least for Switzerland), also train station is maybe 3 min walk, spa area was huge and very nice.
Con's: location (not downtown), gym sucks

If you're looking for a roof, stay here.
If you're looking for swank, Park Hyattt downtown destroys it.

All in all I would stay here again. I had extra CC points and we had a last minute stay for 2 nights. Had I extra MR points, the hyatt is the place.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 pm

zurich airport radisson 2 night award?

flight arrives 7am, have 24 hours in zurich
I also have the CC credit card
can I book the Radisson blu zurich airport for 2 nights (2nd night free)
and checkin in 8am or will my reservation be lost because I didn't check in the night before?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyer12345
flight arrives 7am, have 24 hours in zurich
I also have the CC credit card
can I book the Radisson blu zurich airport for 2 nights (2nd night free)
and checkin in 8am or will my reservation be lost because I didn't check in the night before?
just book it for the night before and call Radisson and ask that they let the hotel know you will be arriving at 8am and not to no-show you
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I've just published my full review of this property staying with plenty of pictures in my report here: Elegance to the Emirate: The Outstanding Swiss First Class Experience

In summary, despite a few practical niggles and the fairly odd design of the room, I had a decent night’s sleep - which is all that really matters in an airport hotel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.