Go Back   > > >
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 17, 14, 1:16 pm   #1
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GRR, USA
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 3,030
Radisson BLU: Zurich Airport (just my opinion!)

I recently stayed at the BLU at ZRH airport and can't honestly say that it was a great stay. Rather, I'd put it in the 'well it was OK' category. I thought at first glance it was going to be a fairly modern hotel, especially after seeing the lobby and the multi-story wine tower complete with attractive acrobatic women retrieving wine bottles from the racks.

The room (at least mine) was ho-hum at best. Weird red/blue color combo, weak bedding and aged carpeting/bath etc.

I put out a trip report on my site that has a few photos and some more thoughts.

For the price they typically charge which can be between $200 and $400 in some cases, I would expect more. I've stayed in Suites for this kind of money!

Fortunately the Carlson Friends code found in this forum brought the price down to about $110-120 range which made it at least tolerable as far as value/experience is concerned.

I don't mind recommending it, but not for more than $150/night at most!
LufthansaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 14, 1:42 pm   #2
  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BOS
Posts: 491
I like this hotel. I always get a runway-facing room, order some room service, and stare out the window for a few hours. I haven't been there in a few months, but I'm fairly certain all the rooms I've had have looked a bit better than that... that color combo is awful.

Do you have status? Maybe they haven't updated the standard rooms in a while...

This hotel is pretty consistent in a one-level upgrade for me.

The premium is definitely for the airport, and a little bit extra for being a Swiss airport. I'm not a fan of the Park Inn. IIRC, it's one of the Golden Arches hotels converted to a Park Inn (Golden Arches as in McDonalds...yes, they owned some hotels in CH for some reason).
berlinflyer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 14, 1:55 pm   #3
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography
Original Poster
  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GRR, USA
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83 View Post
I like this hotel. I always get a runway-facing room, order some room service, and stare out the window for a few hours. I haven't been there in a few months, but I'm fairly certain all the rooms I've had have looked a bit better than that... that color combo is awful.

Do you have status? Maybe they haven't updated the standard rooms in a while...

This hotel is pretty consistent in a one-level upgrade for me.

The premium is definitely for the airport, and a little bit extra for being a Swiss airport. I'm not a fan of the Park Inn. IIRC, it's one of the Golden Arches hotels converted to a Park Inn (Golden Arches as in McDonalds...yes, they owned some hotels in CH for some reason).
No status, I'm a Hyatt 'stayer' when I can help it.

It could very well be that I got a lower-level room in terms of quality...its not that its a bad hotel, I'd stay there again, but was a bit surprised by it.

I was going to stay at the Park Inn until I came across the Carlson Friends code. Never Knew McDonalds was in the hotel biz in CH!

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jun 17, 14 at 4:18 pm
LufthansaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 14, 2:27 pm   #4
  
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suburban Philadelphia
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 3,384
I stayed at the Park Inn ZRH a few weeks ago. Not a bad place. McD's next door and misc grocery / restaurant / etc things across the street.

I was going to do the Rad Blu but our corporate rate wasn't that great.

I will however say the Rad Blu in St. Gallen is pretty nice!
Cargojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:16 am   #5
  
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BOS
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
No status, I'm a Hyatt 'stayer' when I can help it.

It could very well be that I got a lower-level room in terms of quality...its not that its a bad hotel, I'd stay there again, but was a bit surprised by it.
There's a few ways to get status easily - credit card, owning stock, status mtach, etc if you want to try again :-) But definitely not a good value without status for one of the standard rooms it seems...

Quote:
I was going to stay at the Park Inn until I came across the Carlson Friends code. Never Knew McDonalds was in the hotel biz in CH!
Not anymore, but here's an article about it: http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/pre...mes240301.html

The beds even have the McDonald's arch!
berlinflyer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 14, 5:37 am   #6
  
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
I recently stayed at the BLU at ZRH airport and can't honestly say that it was a great stay.
[..]
I don't mind recommending it, but not for more than $150/night at most!
I've been to the BLU and the Park Inn in ZRH a few times. Whilst the premium for the BLU as only within-aiport hotel is considerable, for my purposes it is usually worth the price.

Staying at Zurich is usually quite expensive at any hotel, yet as a statusmember with CC the BLU often enough wins for me in terms of value for money.

Some additional thoughts:
- The shuttle to the PI is not that comofortable and not always available.
- Reception at the PI is often enough staffed with only one person, so even if there's a only a few people coming with shuttle, try to jump out first of the van to be ahead of the queue
- the BLU has some decent train connections from within the airport, whereas the PI is in a commercial area without any connection by bus etc. to the city I remember
- Breakfast at he BLU is usually quite relaxed, whereas in the PI it sometimes gets a bit hectic with some smaller groups of travellers to (?) Asia buzzing around the buffet
Fly1By1Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 14, 11:10 pm   #7
R7U
  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: BR Gold; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
I stayed at the Park Inn ZRH a few weeks ago. Not a bad place. McD's next door and misc grocery / restaurant / etc things across the street.

I was going to do the Rad Blu but our corporate rate wasn't that great.

I will however say the Rad Blu in St. Gallen is pretty nice!
Radisson Blu St.Gallen is indeed very nice hotel. I think it is the best Rad Blu in Switzerland.
R7U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 14, 4:36 am   #8
  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jackson, WY
Posts: 489
Just stayed for 2 nights.
It's your average Radisson Blu. After staying at 5-6 of them the color schemes are all the same. Still don't like it.
Pro's: location, very good American style breakfast (at least for Switzerland), also train station is maybe 3 min walk, spa area was huge and very nice.
Con's: location (not downtown), gym sucks

If you're looking for a roof, stay here.
If you're looking for swank, Park Hyattt downtown destroys it.

All in all I would stay here again. I had extra CC points and we had a last minute stay for 2 nights. Had I extra MR points, the hyatt is the place.
Mbcijim10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 15, 5:15 pm   #9
  
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 45
zurich airport radisson 2 night award?

flight arrives 7am, have 24 hours in zurich
I also have the CC credit card
can I book the Radisson blu zurich airport for 2 nights (2nd night free)
and checkin in 8am or will my reservation be lost because I didn't check in the night before?
flyer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 15, 9:55 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
  
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 21,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer12345 View Post
flight arrives 7am, have 24 hours in zurich
I also have the CC credit card
can I book the Radisson blu zurich airport for 2 nights (2nd night free)
and checkin in 8am or will my reservation be lost because I didn't check in the night before?
just book it for the night before and call Radisson and ask that they let the hotel know you will be arriving at 8am and not to no-show you
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top