Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Radisson Blu Alcron Prague [as of Jan.2019, left Radisson; Almanac as of 2023]

Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi All,

First post in this forum. I'm looking into booking two nights at this hotel in Prague. I don't like paying for non-refundable fares and the flexible fare including breakfast is a bit too expensive, considering that I've found another great hotel (Maximilian) for 233 EUR for two nights including breakfast.

However, staying in a 5* with a chance of an upgrade (I'm Gold) is an attractive thought.

What do you think of the value of the cash + point fare below? I have some Amex MR points that I could transfer over. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm new to the hotel redemptions world.

Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The points+cash usually provides terrible value.
I would value CC points around 0.2-0.4p/each and MR's around 0.8-1p/each.

For 10,000 CC points (3,333 MR's) you are saving ~18. Unless you value MR's below 0.55p/each then its not a good deal.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks nux. I may have got my maths wrong, but this is my reasoning so far.

For the two nights:
Best available rate including tax: 250 EUR.
Points + cash including tax: 20,000 + 150 EUR

That's 100 EUR for 20,000 CC points, which is 0.5c or 0.41p.

Considering that the conversion rate from MR to CC is 1:3, wouldn't that mean getting 1.23p per MR?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Sorry, my calculation was based on the advanced purchase rate. 1.23p/MR would be worthwhile if you want flexibility.

You could also check if there is a 241 rate available.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Sorry, my calculation was based on the advanced purchase rate. 1.23p/MR would be worthwhile if you want flexibility.

You could also check if there is a 241 rate available.
Unfortunately not, that would've been great :-(

I would like to find out how much breakfast in the hotel would be. I've emailed them but no reply so far!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Have you given any consideration to buying points on the June 17 Daily Getaways? You could get 50k points for $222 if you pay with your Amex.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Have you given any consideration to buying points on the June 17 Daily Getaways? You could get 50k points for $222 if you pay with your Amex.
Thanks, I didn't even know what they were. Do you have to be based in the US? Unfortunately I can't take advantage of them as I'm a UK resident.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Breakfast is about 18.5 euro if purchased at check-in.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:14 am

We stayed on a 241 rate last year, we got upgraded as gold but got none of the benefits of the new room type (breakfast, free minibar etc.) so don't expect too much. The food discount does not apply for the Alcon restaurant. There was a patisserie Valerie around the corner which does good coffee and croissants cheaply!
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Does the Points+Cash rate include tax? If so, the delta between the regular rate and the Points+Cash rate is even greater.

Also, I stayed at this property last fall. It's nice, but I'm not sure I'd categorize it as a 5*. The room was large, but kinda sparse. Bathroom wasn't awesome and I had the typical issue with incessant heat.

It was late November and I had the windows open to try and cool down the room. Not my idea of a good time.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Does the Points+Cash rate include tax? If so, the delta between the regular rate and the Points+Cash rate is even greater.

Also, I stayed at this property last fall. It's nice, but I'm not sure I'd categorize it as a 5*. The room was large, but kinda sparse. Bathroom wasn't awesome and I had the typical issue with incessant heat.

It was late November and I had the windows open to try and cool down the room. Not my idea of a good time.
Thank you for your feedback. I'll probably end up staying at the Maximilian, which is what I've currently booked. However, spending a bit less cash would be handy, which is why I'm considering the Radisson Blu.

To answer your first question, see my 3rd post.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:19 am
Community Director Emerita

This is the most recent thread on this property, but it is a discussion of rates and not the hotel itself. Who has stayed and what did you think? How were room sizes? Room comfort? Hotel location?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This is the most recent thread on this property, but it is a discussion of rates and not the hotel itself. Who has stayed and what did you think? How were room sizes? Room comfort? Hotel location?
We stayed in December 2013 (very brief report here).

We didn't find anything particularly special about the hotel, but it was a perfectly serviceable option in a convenient location. Our room was optimistically called a junior suite, though it was pretty tight, and it was the usual European "king = two twins" bed setup. We opted for a courtyard-facing room; not much of a courtyard to look at, but it didn't have the street noise of the first room we looked at.

Otherwise, the staff were nice and the hotel worked for us. To be honest, I'd probably look elsewhere for our next stay; it wasn't bad, just not memorable.

We loved Prague, and took perhaps our favorite food walking tour ever there, don't want to sound like a shill but happy to PM details.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I considered the hotel location to be good for tourism purposes.

Room sizes were pretty good by European standards.

Room comfort was ok, even as it was a bit off for me. But I'm really not sure why I found it off a bit in terms of comfort.

The hotel's car service arrangement to go from the hotel to the airport was something I skipped to choose a decent, cheaper hired car option:

http://www.prague-airport-transfers....FYMK0wodHgQHEA

The hotel isn't anything special, but it worked ok enough for me -- as I was on points and cash rates that saved me money.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Have stayed multiple times. Never failed to get an upgrade (right up to 7th floor castle view suite) even back when I was silver.

It is a very well managed hotel, good staff who managed to greet me by name even though my last stay was 4 months previous. Favorite incident in recent years was a bottle of house white wine appeared as part of the club carlson in room gift, after two days the unopened bottle was swapped to a red...

Breakfast is excellent and continues in its own style despite the changes made in the network in recent years, while it is self service buffet, every one is walked to their table and drinks orders taken, prosecco is included...

The art deco interior is really nice.

The two on site restaurants are excellent, the Alcron holds a Michelin star.

Rooms are good size by European standards.

The bathrooms are compact but most come with double sinks. The toiletries have gone a bit downhill, but this appears to have been a Radisson group policy to standardise.

The bar despite its cocktail menu doesn't really have any vibe to it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.