Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Radisson International | Radisson Rewards
Reload this Page >

Club Carlson Program Changes eff. Mar 15, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Please see post #20 for the official announcement from our CC rep.

CC rep confirms that changes occur March 15.

List of all 2014 Category Changes

Properties going from 6 to 7 (50k to 70k points):
Radisson Royal Hotel, Dubai
Radisson Blu Le Dokhan’s Hotel, Paris Trocadero
Radisson Blu 1835 Hotel & Thalasso, Cannes
Radisson Blu Le Metropolitan Hotel, Paris Eiffel
Radisson Blu Hotel Champs Elysees, Paris
The May Fair (London)
Plaza on the River, London
art’otel, Amsterdam
Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
India is the sweet spot now.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: all
It is a devaluation but IMHO it is not too bad. Compare this to what Hilton did recently and this is a walk in the park.

Had to happen with all the promos they kept running and how easy it has been to rack up the points
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Expected.
It was a mater of time.
And I think that it could have been worse.
The last two years they had been passing out points like candy, and with the extremely generous US Bank credit card and last night free benefit, I still say this devaluation was mild.

At least they gave an advance warning.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arabmoney
I am confused on their statement - hotels have moved to new chart effective March 15, yet bookings can still be on the old chart if made before May 1st?

My interpretation is, any stays beyond May 1st would be on the new chart.

It seems to work this way when I do some experiment bookings.

In other words, you only have up to May 1st to have award stays at the old chart rate? versus Hilton or Marriott or IHG or SPG, that you can book as far out as 15 months and on the old charts?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:35 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
As devaluations go, this was a relatively mild one. Let's hope they leave us alone for awhile.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
deleted

Last edited by Brendan; Feb 19, 2014 at 9:55 am Reason: More appropriate for other thread!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I notice that 2 hotels in/near Sochi, Russia are falling in category, as the Olympics end!
The 2000-point booking bonus is just that, a limited-time BONUS to condition us to book online. So its end does not upset me.
Also, earning points on F&B on award stays and counting award stays toward status are UPvaluations!
The only thing I call a DEvaluation is the new 70K Category 7.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:48 am

It's less bad than I warned about here.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:57 am

Exclamation

I suspect that Happy is right in the thread in Fassy's link & that the Webpage is mis-worded. After all, it's a contradiction as is to say that the new rates are effective March 15 & apply to made on or after May 1, 2014. So I think they mean "stays on or after May 1, 2014, even if booked now."
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Arabmoney
Originally Posted by Brendan
I notice that 2 hotels in/near Sochi, Russia are falling in category, as the Olympics end!
The 2000-point booking bonus is just that, a limited-time BONUS to condition us to book online. So its end does not upset me.
Also, earning points on F&B on award stays and counting award stays toward status are UPvaluations!
The only thing I call a DEvaluation is the new 70K Category 7.
You forgot another mechanism that has been employed by other chains - introducing the Premium rooms and making ONLY premium rooms are available for award booking. The bad part is, the so-called premium room in many Club Carlson properties is NOTHING more than the standard room other than being "business" with slightly better furnishing but same room size, and a breakfast which in many cases, are not a buffet breakfast, but an "English breakfast" which is a set menu with options for egg and meat plus the usual pastries and beverages - way less than an American breakfast, not to mention a buffet breakfast.

That my friend, is where I see what Club Carlson would go in releasing award rooms. They have the models of HHonors and SPG to go by. Though in HHonors case, sometimes the premium rooms would be CHEAPER than standard rooms. Personally we have taken advantage of such a few times. However I do not see Club Carlson would behave like this - giving the Paris properties have zeroed out all standard rooms for the dates I have been looking at in the past few weeks. The Champs location had absolutely no rooms available for almost the whole October. Suddenly now there are 75K premium rooms available across all 3 properties after the announcement. Co-incident? I think NOT!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:17 am

Can we get further details on the suite booking options?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm not surprised that they devalued, but I'm surprised they did it so soon. Club Carlson is awful in the US, but far stronger outside the US. The brand is trying to grow in the US but with the exception of the newer build properties, their properties are mediocre at best.

I don't care about the elimination of the online booking bonus or the other updates (both positives and negatives), but the category changes and the new category 7 does not bode well for the future.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

The cat 2 to cat 3 diff had always been huge. It almost doubles right there. And (not coincidentally?) that's where the biggest number of props going up a cat are. Really sucks.

The CC award chart makes little sense. Silly Podunk CIS props at cat 4 and then major European props at cat 5.

But hey, I guess there can be opportunity in chaos.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
114 hotels one category up, 66 one down, 1 two down.

India being the absolute sweetspot now, whereas category 1 hotels in EMEA are becoming a dying breed. The city centre Paris properties all moving to 70k.
Originally Posted by slickvik
India is the sweet spot now.
Having recently stayed at the CIS Jaipur (which went DOWN a category (28k/nt. to 15k/nt.) as part of this) and the Radisson Blu Taj East Gate, I definitely agree these are part of the India sweetspot. ^
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
The new level increase is absurd. The rate for redemption jumps by 40%. No other hotel program his this wide of margin for their top 2 levels.

I was thinking about picking up the US Bank card on my next AOR, but who knows now. That 85K bonus doesn't go that far anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.